Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah, with the bonus it is 18 mil guaranteed. It is the bonus up front with 10 mil guaranteed. Unless you're prorating the bonus from the wages?

Does anyone have any idea at all why the talks broke down?

Reaction score
What's the point in posting anything?
I like to discuss realistic scenarios. Not how much can we get away with paying one of the best players on the team.
I am still trying to figure out why the talks broke down, especially after it was all sunshine and rainbows this offseason, he was gonna get a new deal. Then poof, nothing.
I don't think they broke down because Jerry couldn't move off of 3 for 12. There was very little news about his contract until right before the season started. It didn't happen... He's gonna get paid, most likely by us... if not us, then someone else. You're probably not going to figure out why the talks broke down by talking about it here.

Question becomes can we afford a top 5 wideout. His rookie deal was already similar to Percy Harvin's, and I think that's about where he is.
His rookie deal was similar to Harvin's because they were both pick #22. Dez has far outperformed Harvin, and it's not even close.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So if there is no deal by season's end, it seems it puts Jerruh in a bad position.

Tass

Spectator
Reaction score
Dez is probably my favorite player, but I'd take a #1 and a #2 in a heartbeat. Having 2 firsts and 2 seconds will make your team better real quick (assuming we make good picks).

I agree with this with the caveat that Jerry stays in Cabo with no TV, internet, or phones during the draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
McClain missed practice yesterday and apparently isn't going to practice today. Broaddus saying we should be "very concerned" about this groin injury.

Reaction score
This thread is weird.

Dez is our best player, easily.

McClain, well, I hope he keeps his head on straight but I'd be weary of giving him a big money contract.

I'd keep him in the middle and encourage Lee to retire and become a coach.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
this thread is weird.

Dez is our best player, easily.

Mcclain, well, i hope he keeps his head on straight but i'd be weary of giving him a big money contract.

I'd keep him in the middle and encourage lee to retire and become a coach.

But tell me why have the talks broke down?!?!?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But tell me why have the talks broke down?!?!?
Jerruh: "Dez, we love you Son but look here - I have a 3rd string UDFA QB who so wanted to be here, he took five thousand dollars less than was offered, to come here. You say you wanna be a Cowboy for life. Well, we want you too but we want to see some of that in a tangible way.

Now be a good boy and take my $12 mil three year offer."

Reaction score
Yeah that's the type of mentality that loses big name players... Why don't you be more like Dustin Vaughn and do us a solid? Dez shouldn't give a shit about giving a home town discount, cause as soon as he's not useful to Jerry, he will be kicked to the curb.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah that's the type of mentality that loses big name players...
Signing them for huge contract extensions then having them fail physically for real like Tony or, for fake like Austin and another several I could name does what exactly? Not sure when Jerruh has ever been guilty of underpaying or striking a hard bargain.

You all of course understand I'm not serious about trading Dez or trying to make him work for pennies, I'm more making a commentary on how often we get screwed in deals like this. Maybe Jerruh figured it out, and is now gunshy a little. He well should be.

The offer I put up gives Desmond 18 mil guaranteed over three years - more than reasonable for what he is.

Top Bottom