Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Is this guy going to keep his head on straight this time?

I kinda half expect him to do something stupid here pretty quick and get himself cut or suspended.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Whatever Saban said to him in the offseason, it appears to have helped.

He looks more like the player he was at Alabama and his first season or so in Oakland now. The other thing I've noticed is he appears to have gotten into tremendous shape in a pretty short period of time here. He looks several pounds lighter now than he did the first time I saw him in uniforms for us in TC.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'll never count on him to be available for any game than the current week.

He's a rainy day from quitting.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll never count on him to be available for any game than the current week.

He's a rainy day from quitting.

Probably fair, although he appears pretty motivated and seems to be really enjoying football again.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
His infractions are not really that bad...

He got into an argument at a nightclub and shot off a gun in the air outside the club. Those charges were later dropped.

He mouthed off to a cop who pulled him over for his window tint being too dark.

Playing for the Raiders depressed the shit out of him.

I'm not seeing all of the red flags some have stuck to him.

Reaction score
Yeah but didn't he retire from the Ravens too? You would think anyone could get excited to play for that defense...

I hope the guy sticks, but it's going to take a bit more to start depending on him. All accounts are he's playing well, though I haven't watched yet. I did see a clip of that INT. Impressive for a LB.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What about sticking the gun up to the guy's head before he fired it? He actually was convicted of that and on appeal the complaintant suddenly dropped the charges. (No payoff there I'm sure.)

Maybe he'll be fine from here on out, but I don't see how you can say he hasn't had massive red flags in his past.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Look, he's just a street wise New York cop who always happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. You can understand the stress he has had to deal with.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I did see a clip of that INT. Impressive for a LB.

yes it was, but fans should stop saying the refs cost us a score. the Titans stopped chasing him when the whistle blew.

Reaction score
It could be that Jerry's people have had so much experience with "headcases" that the organization has become pretty good at helping out the players who need extra support.

.... it certainly looks like they helped Dez mature ....

McClain seems to feel fortunate and respected. Here's hoping that he's conquering whatever his demons were.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
yes it was, but fans should stop saying the refs cost us a score. the Titans stopped chasing him when the whistle blew.

absolutely...one guy pretty much had him wrapped up...and let him go bc the play was whistled dead

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't think the team is really cap constrained quite as much as they were in previous years, however, there are going to be some interesting decisions on free agents this offseason.

Dez will get his. I think francising Murray would be about $6 million if they didn't/couldn't do a long term deal

Carter and McClain are also free agents. Melton has that option deal. I think Frees deal voids

This year would be the first year you could cut Carr feasibly

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Dez is trade bait, to me.

crazy.gif

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Yep, Dez will stay.

Murray looks poised to have a big year so the franchise tag wouldn't surprise me

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Jimmy was crazy to trade Herschel.

Dez is excellent trade bait, you might could even get a 1st and a 2nd for him, for the right team really needing a WR.

There's SOME reason the contract talks broke down guys. Once you sign a guy like this to a big deal he's no longer trade-able.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I would try to sign McClain to an extension now. He may price himself right out of here.

I'd want the extension to be incentive-packed with plenty of opt outs for the team if he acts like a jackass.

He's the best player on Defense IMO. Keeping him also keeps Sean Lee from playing MLB which may save Lee's career.

Top Bottom