dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
McClain seriously hurt or no?

Who really knows, but this seems eerily similar to other things that start out as "well we are just being careful" to..."well he might miss a few practices"..."well we might better hold him out for one game"...and so on and so on

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah, groin injury. Another of those handy soft tissue injuries you can't x-ray or otherwise determine validity of. Like Miles Austin's fake "hamstring injury" that went on for years then suddenly disappeared when he left for Cleveland.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Therefore incapable of malingering on a fake injury, or slacking off after getting the big payday. (Leading the league in dropped passes, like T.O. for example)

Pay Desmond the generous 3 year, 18 mil deal I detailed, (Which is right in the middle of the gulf in the negotiations) or trade him, or franchise his ass. I'm not against a extension, just don't want to see another ridiculous one.

Dez is the last damn person you have to worry about malingering. Have you even been paying attention to him? I sign him to whatever he wants.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dez is the last damn person you have to worry about malingering. Have you even been paying attention to him? I sign him to whatever he wants.
Same could have been said about many others, who did after they got their big check and big contract deal. Dez continues to demonstrate lack of maturity, lack of discipline and lacking control of his emotions.

I take it you have issue with the 3 year, 12 mil extension I am promoting which has a 6 mil signing bonus added, making it a 18 million deal with 10 mil of it, guaranteed?

This is right in the middle of the reported gulf between the two parties. It is perfectly reasonable, even generous.

What I believe would be detrimental is a LONG term agreement for top 5 money. I'm not talking not signing him. I am talking not going overboard like they did with Romo.

Keep it short term, load it with incentives and performance requirements, and very generous guaranteed dinero. And if he doesn't go for it, franchise his ass or trade him. He beat up his own mom for fuck sakes.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
As noshame said... I guess you can lowball your guys, but why when of course they won't take it. Might as well not even bother if you're going to offer Dez 3/12.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
As noshame said... I guess you can lowball your guys, but why when of course they won't take it. Might as well not even bother if you're going to offer Dez 3/12.
Like the article I posted earlier said, they're offering Dez only 10. I am talking 18. Dez wants 25. So you're gonna have that problem anyway unless you just kiss his ass.

Then after you kiss his ass, he's Miles Austin hammy Boy or drop leader T.O.

Reaction score
Offering him 8-10 per year... not 10 total. You're offering him 4... or 6 with the signing bonus.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Offering him 8-10 per year... not 10 total. You're offering him 4... or 6 with the signing bonus.
I missed that, thanks for the correction. I'm WAY off the mark on the total for the deal.

Reaction score
IRVING — Rolando McClain didn’t have much to say while sitting at his locker on Friday. McClain hasn’t practiced this week because of a groin strain he suffered last Sunday in Tennessee.

Although Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Friday morning that McClain was doubtful to play Sunday, the standout middle linebacker said he didn’t know his status as of Friday afternoon.

“It’s not my decision,” McClain said during his minute and a half interview session. “It’s coach’s decision. I’ll just do whatever they ask me to do and we’ll go from there.

“That’s all I can do.”

McClain, who said his groin has gotten better each day this week, was beginning to emerge as a leader and top playmaker on the Cowboys defense.

Is he disappointed by this setback?

“It’s just part of life,” McClain said. “God has got a plan for everything. All I can do is follow it. Take every day in stride. It is what it is.”

Reaction score
His rookie deal was 12 mil total?
5 yrs, just under $12 mil, $2 mil signing bonus, $8.6 guaranteed on his rookie deal.

I think we'd be lucky to get him at 5 yrs for $44 mil. 3 yrs at $12 mil just isn't happening, and you risk flat out insulting him if you even offer that.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think we'd be lucky to get him at 5 yrs for $44 mil. 3 yrs at $12 mil just isn't happening.
They're going to have to make some cap room for him somehow. Still, I want the shorter deal that is loaded with incentives. Pay him something close to top 5 money, but make it a short term deal.

Reaction score
A shorter deal would be more cap-restrictive. Would likely be a higher base salary and the signing bonus would be spread out over fewer years increasing the cap hit.

Top Bottom