Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You all of course understand I'm not serious about trading Dez or trying to make him work for pennies, I'm more making a commentary on how often we get screwed in deals like this.

I wasn't happy when we traded Walker since he was our best player. I kind of feel the same way about Dez and I think we should rebuild since Romo is at the tail end of his career. I would absolutely consider trading Dez if the price is right and look to find a QB. What good is a high priced WR if you don't have the QB to get him the ball?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I wasn't happy when we traded Walker since he was our best player. I kind of feel the same way about Dez and I think we should rebuild since Romo is at the tail end of his career. I would absolutely consider trading Dez if the price is right and look to find a QB. What good is a high priced WR if you don't have the QB to get him the ball?
If someone was willing to mortgage their team by giving us a 1st and a 2nd for Dez, Jerruh would be nuts not to take it IMO. Nobody's gonna do that.

If this back thing turns Romo into Troy, how are we hurt?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't want him re-signed either, but Jerry will put production ahead of character--as usual.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

These are two entirely different situations, and there's no way we'd get anywhere what we got for Walker for Dez

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If someone was willing to mortgage their team by giving us a 1st and a 2nd for Dez, Jerruh would be nuts not to take it IMO. Nobody's gonna do that.

Because this team is more talented than the 2000 Cowboys

As for just arbitrarily saying that getting a 1st and 2nd for Dez is basically too good to pass up on, it definitely depends on where those picks are. Picks in the 20's/50's are not worth the risk og giving up a guy who will be a perennial probowler for the next half dozen to eight years or so.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
As for just arbitrarily saying that getting a 1st and 2nd for Dez is basically too good to pass up on, it definitely depends on where those picks are. Picks in the 20's/50's are not worth the risk og giving up a guy
Everybody automatically knows that.
who will be a perennial probowler for the next half dozen to eight years or so.
Hype! Hype! Hype!
Because this team is more talented than the 2000 Cowboys
Really? Whoda thunk it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Hype! Hype! Hype!
Oh wait - under the new pro Bowl system, Desmond might well get "drafted" a few more times. It's not like it has any meaning left, from the very little it might once have had.

All-Pro, now that's a different story.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

It's not that I mind a field general for a QB, but Romo's arm is shot or his back is preventing him from physically throw the ball down field. He's just about done.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
These are two entirely different situations, and there's no way we'd get anywhere what we got for Walker for Dez

I agree, but we can get a RWII kind of deal. I'd take that in a heartbeat, especially if the picks are higher in each round.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's not that I mind a field general for a QB, but Romo's arm is shot or his back is preventing him from physically throw the ball down field. He's just about done.
Last week it looked to me like alot of it was coming back, he's getting more able. We shall see.

I'm for whatever they want to do to keep him on his feet and out there playing effectively. He was effective last week.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree, but we can get a RWII kind of deal. I'd take that in a heartbeat, especially if the picks are higher in each round.

Like I said- cant wait till we get that next Bobby Carpenter and Jacob Rogers or Al Johnson

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Like I said- cant wait till we get that next Bobby Carpenter and Jacob Rogers or Al Johnson
Or sign to a massive extension the next Miles Austin, Marion Barber, Brokeback Romo, and so on and so forth.

You keep knocking the guys who drafted Dez - in fact they traded UP to draft him. Is he not that great or what?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Or sign to a massive extension the next Miles Austin, Marion Barber, Brokeback Romo, and so on and so forth.

You keep knocking the guys who drafted Dez - in fact they traded UP to draft him. Is he not that great or what?

Dez Bryant is both considerably better and more importantly, younger than those other guys.

Reaction score
The Barber & Romo extensions were just Jerry stupidity, and Austin was a gamble lost. Not evidence that all extensions are bad. Are you against the Smith extension?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
From DMN
"If we don’t get it (Dez Deal) done before the season starts, we’ll get it done after the season, if that’s when he wants to do it. We’re not going to be worried about it one way or the other." - Stephen Jones

Bryant and the Cowboys have been discussing a long-term deal for several months, but have been unable to reach an agreement.

Bryant considers himself a top-5 NFL receiver and wants to be paid like one. Those players earn about $12 million per season. The Cowboys view him more as a top-10 receiver and would like to pay him in the $8-10 million range.

They have often compared him to DeSean Jackson, who signed a three-year, $24 million deal with Washington in the offseason.

"We’re working hard," Stephen Jones said. "Oh, I’m optimistic that eventually we get something done. Obviously, we think the world of Dez, and that’s what we want and he wants that, so just got to work hard at it."

After the Cowboys signed left tackle Tyron Smith to an eight-year, $98 million contract extension during training camp, the NFLPA reportedly looked into the negotiations because the Cowboys circumvented Smith’s agent and persuaded Smith to agree to a deal that would keep him tied to the Cowboys until the 2023 season.

Right now, one source said the biggest impediment to getting a deal done is the amount of guaranteed money.

If the sides don’t reach an agreement, the Cowboys could put the franchise tag on him and pay Bryant $12.3 million next season.

The Barber & Romo extensions were just Jerry stupidity, and Austin was a gamble lost.
Just bad luck and bad decisions, huh?
Not evidence that all extensions are bad.
And, nobody ever claimed that, Straw Boi.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dez Bryant is both considerably better and more importantly, younger than those other guys.
Therefore incapable of malingering on a fake injury, or slacking off after getting the big payday. (Leading the league in dropped passes, like T.O. for example)

Pay Desmond the generous 3 year, 18 mil deal I detailed, (Which is right in the middle of the gulf in the negotiations) or trade him, or franchise his ass. I'm not against a extension, just don't want to see another ridiculous one.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
The Barber & Romo extensions were just Jerry stupidity, and Austin was a gamble lost. Not evidence that all extensions are bad. Are you against the Smith extension?

And Ratliff, and Roy E Williams, and Ken Hamlin.

btw, back on topic, dbair mentioned that Broaddus said we should be concerned about McClain's groin. Well, we all know Hostile already is, but is he going to be out for a significant amount of time due to it?

Top Bottom