Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score
For a time, yes, that goal was met. It's not being met now.

It kills me when people make it sound like their politician of choice has completely altruistic motives. Everyone on both sides of the fence, Republican and Democrat alike, have always been agenda driven in regards to the virus, just like in all things. Most at least attempt to be subtle about it. Others, like Trump and Noem, do not.

Flattening the curve only meant that we would keep the number of cases requiring hospitalization and acute care lower than our capacity. We are doing that still. Of course that can change but so far, and with the addition of therapeutics not available back in March, people are not dying because of a lack of care.

I didn't ascribe any motive for Trump's decision to balance the economy with the virus response. I was merely deducing his goals based on what he said over the months about lockdowns hurting the economy. Success is determined by the goal. And given his goals, I believe he was successful. I also believe he understood that indefinite lockdowns would permanently damage the economy and kills millions of jobs.

One other thing to consider, and it shocks me that so many people seem to ignore this, but not everyone is on the same page. There is a large portion of the population that believes government does not have the right to take away our liberty, even for a virus. Some of those people are sitting on the SCOTUS. What many people do is just assume the other side is wrong, stupid, uneducated, or has some evil motive. But both sides could just have different priorities. I am sympathetic to both sides. I think government is overreaching while at the same time I believe some people are overreacting to things like wearing masks and social distancing. I do not believe the government has a right to arrest people for not wearing a mask, or having 12 people at a holiday dinner, but at the same time I think people can wear masks, and avoid crowds because it is the responsible thing to do.

The last point I will make is that what destroys any attempt to get people to act responsibly is a lack of consistency. When the George Floyd riots started and the same people demanding we wear masks and lock down, excused the protests and riots, everyone saw the inconsistency and concluded that the side demanding churches close was not sincere. Look at the graphs of COVID cases and you can see that the huge outbreaks in Florida, Texas, CA and many other states began just a week or so after the riots began. If it hard to argue that the protests and riots did not, at least in part, play a role in the spread of COVID.

Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Remember when NY's governor Cuomo was criticizing other states for their high level of new cases? The pompous ass had gone through the worst outbreak in the country in April and May but thought it appropriate to criticize Texas, Arizona and Florida for their responses to the virus. Now, NY is in it's own second wave with over 9000 new cases reported yesterday. NY still has the highest number of total death of all US states and territories and the highest Case Fatality rate of any state. Cuomo won an Emmy Award for his TV appearances to address the virus, despite using those TV appearances to lie about nursing home deaths that resulted from his order to force nursing homes to take Coronavirus patients.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Gov Newscum is locking down CA again for another 3 weeks!

I guess they want to make sure they completely finish off the remaining small business owners like myself that made it thru the first lockdown

FUCK YOU Gavin!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I guess they want to make sure they completely finish off the remaining small business owners
Make it as horrible as possible right now, blame it all on BOM, then when it all comes roaring back in spite of Biden, proclaim him a fucking genius! A flock of frikkin freuds! Earth's most clever carbon-based lifeform!

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Gov Newscum is locking down CA again for another 3 weeks!

I guess they want to make sure they completely finish off the remaining small business owners like myself that made it thru the first lockdown

FUCK YOU Gavin!

I just listened to an old interview with Gavin on Adam Corollas podcast and was surprised to hear him say how frustrated he was with Gov when he started his wine biz (they made him spend 27K on a mop sink when his place was all carpet) and that motivated him to get involved in politics. He sounded like the kind of person you'd want in gov but by all reports Ive heard, they make him sound like the devil incarnate.

Here's the interview if anyone cares, Corolla does a great job pressing Gavin at the end:

Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score

I do not mean this to be insensitive, but if Giuliani survives COVID-19, then we should open up the country and get back to normal because anybody can survive it. Not only is Rudy old, but he looks really unhealthy.

Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Interesting, and true, Coronavirus story...

I was supposed to have a doctor appointment yesterday morning. Just a regular checkup. I got a call from his office Tuesday that they had to reschedule because my doctor is in quarantine because he was exposed to the virus. He has a nurse working in his office who was exposed to the virus and she exposed him. The nurse's daughter works in the COVID ward of a local hospital. The daughter got very sick back in March, had all the symptoms of COVID then, but tested negative for COVID. She was sick and in bed for 10 days but recovered. Then a month later she tested positive for COVID antibodies. It turns out her daughter's husband tested positive recently and now the daughter is sick again with the same symptoms and this time tested positive for Coronavirus. Obviously, she exposed her mother who exposed the doctor. He was supposed to get tested last night but I have not heard yet if either he or his nurse are actually infected.

This story raises multiple questions. First, are the tests accurate? How does someone test negative multiple times for CV then test positive for antibodies? The daughter has CV-19 for a second time confirming what some have suggested, the CV-19 immunity does not last long. My doctor's office says this appears to be true but only for a small percentage of the population. Most people develop immunity that lasts a long time. Or, did the daughter have the flu back in March and CV-19 now? or the Flu now and CV-19 back in March?

Obviously the problem raised by this story is if the daughter can get sick with CV-19 twice in 8 months, then how effective will the vaccines really be?

Finally, the daughter and her husband supposedly wear all the recommended PPE for medical personnel and take all the necessary precautions. She got the virus twice and her husband once. I think there is a lot we do not understand about how this virus works, including the effectiveness of PPE.

Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Once again the media is promoting sensational headlines about the number of new CV-19 cases and, of course, the record number of deaths reported daily. As I posted over a month ago, this wave we are seeing all over the country is going to be much worse than the first wave. We are going to see twice the number of daily cases reported that we are seeing now. We could see 5,000 people die every single day for weeks.

But the media is making the same mistake, or maybe it is intentional, of acting like the US is infected while the rest of the world is doing just fine. This is the big lie. Europe began a second wave back in August and is just now starting the slow decline in new cases. We saw France, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Spain, and almost every other European country reporting more new cases per capita, than at any time in the US. Belgium reported the equivalent of 680,000 in the US in one day. France regularly reported the equivalent of over 450,000 cases. This tells us that the US is only at the beginning of the second wave and on the upslope of new cases and new deaths. A month from now we should reach our peak and it should be about double what we are reporting now. Unlike the first wave that struck mostly in a concentrated area in the NY metro region, the second wave is hitting us everywhere. NY is seeing a second wave that right now is as big as the first wave and will probably increase by 2 or 3 times in the next 2 months.

Since each state has established its own protocols for dealing with the virus, we are seeing that nothing any states has tried thus far as "worked". Worse, we are not seeing more people infected multiple times. This means we may never reach herd immunity because for some people, their bodies are not developing the anti-bodies to fight the virus.

I am not trying to scare anyone, but we should be prepared for for much worse media reporting in the next 2 months. And when the virus outbreak begins to wane around the end of January, it will not be because of Biden or the vaccine. It will be because we will experience the same case decline as Europe and South America along the same timeframe regardless of what we do or don't do in response.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think there is a lot we do not understand about how this virus works, including the effectiveness of PPE.
This is one statement everyone should be able to agree with, except that everyone focuses on a different aspect of what it means.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score

An example of only using the stats that tell the story you want heard. The part she leaves out is the reason cases have declined in that time is because the number of daily tests has dropped similarly in that time frame.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

An example of only using the stats that tell the story you want heard. The part she leaves out is the reason cases have declined in that time is because the number of daily tests has dropped similarly in that time frame.

gawd damn, its so exhausting wading through all the misinformation and hyperbole

touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
50722091092_042ae11832_o.png

Top Bottom