LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Next season will be the first season where I won’t feel like we are going to get out coached every game like I did with Garrett

Shit, we weren’t even safe when Garrett was coaching against a rookie head coach. He would still get out coached

He has to have the record for most losses to rookie HCs. In fact, I'd wager that he has a losing record to rookie HCs.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

michael irvin thinks the cowboys talent is similar to the golden state warriors

View attachment 5721

That's not what I took from it. From my understanding he is suggesting that the Cowboys are talented enough WITH excellant coaching to make or even win the Super Bowl. Many agree that this Cowboys' team is overall more talented than the Super Bowl winning Packers that McCarthy coached. Even back then the Cowboys had superior talent to that team, but coaching was the problem back then.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He has to have the record for most losses to rookie HCs. In fact, I'd wager that he has a losing record to rookie HCs.

Someone posted the stats here before and if I remember correctly he did have a losing record to rookie HC’s

It’s probably in the embarrassing records thread

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't believe for a second that it was McCarthy's decision. I think he was "strongly encouraged" to keep him on. As an offensive guy who's been calling plays forever, he doesn't need Moore and there's nothing a kid can teach him. If anything, McCarthy should see him as a threat. He's being groomed to take over for Mike one day like Jason was for Wade.

Yeah like I said in another thread, since almost none (if any) of the other assistants who were under contract are being retained (and we know McCarthy already termed Lal) it's pretty apparent McCarthy is calling his shots on here.

He might like Moore's upside as a young coach in waiting and it's a chance for him to pass on a lot of his knowledge and system info to Moore, as well as keeping some continuity on his new staff with a guy who did have some success with the roster we have now. And he did that despite having the Garrett shackles on him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He can't make Zeke faster.

It'll be interesting to see what the new staff does. There's no question Garrett's staff had Zeke gain weight like they did with Demarco Murray.

With two really good RB's now, they might have Zeke drop a few of the pounds he has gained since entering the NFL and if so, he'll definitely pick up a step or two.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
McCarthy asking someone to lose weight. Hi-larious.

CZ has spent two days now talking about McCarthy being fat.

Who the fuck cares? Bill Parcells was a lardass his entire coaching career and that didnt seem to hurt him any. I really dont care about a guys personal health or life expectancy, all I care about is can he make this team better.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So MM has hired three ppl. All of them were previous HC’s. Granted Fossel was only an interim HC for a bIt but you get the point.

We Have had a huge infusion of experience where even our O line coach was a former HC

Sal Monella

Man among boys
Reaction score
NEW RUN GAME COORDINATOR?
MCCARTHY PROMISES TO FEED ZEKE

gettyimages-157366013-e1529033102529.jpg

Getty Images

The Cowboys might keep running backs coach Gary Brown, who has served in that role since 2013. Or they might not.

The team is interviewing University of Texas associate head coach and run game coordinator Stan Drayton today, Todd Archer of ESPN reports.

Drayton is intriguing because he coached Ezekiel Elliott at Ohio State.

He went to the Bears in 2015, spending two seasons as their running backs coach. Drayton has coached at Texas since 2017.

Elliott has led the league in rushing in two of his four seasons.

gettyimages-1196551403-1-e1578608989923.jpg

Getty Images

Mike McCarthy has worked with better quarterbacks than Dak Prescott, having coached Joe Montana, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. But the Cowboys new head coach has not worked with a better running back in his prime than Ezekiel Elliott.

McCarthy had Frank Gore as a rookie in 2005 when McCarthy was offensive coordinator in San Francisco and the running back rushed for 608 yards. McCarthy was an offensive quality control coach and then the quarterbacks coach in Kansas City in Marcus Allen‘s final five seasons when the Hall of Fame running back never rushed for more than 890 yards while on his last legs.

McCarthy’s leading rushers in his time as head coach at Green Bay were Ahman Green, Ryan Grant, Brandon Jackson, Alex Green, Eddie Lacy, Ty Montgomery and Jamaal Williams. (Aaron Jones led the Packers in rushing in 2018 when McCarthy was fired during the season.)

Elliott has rushed for 5,405 yards and 40 touchdowns in his four seasons, winning two rushing titles.

“I think first off with Zeke, he’s going to get the football,” McCarthy said. “Let’s make no mistake about that. I think you have to clearly understand when you saw the offense is going to make a quarterback successful, the best play to make him successful is a great run game. We clearly understand what we have here and how we could build off of that.”

McCarthy had backs rush for 1,000 yards in a season only five times with the Packers. Ryan Grant’s 1,253 rushing yards in 2009 were the most for a running back in McCarthy’s tenure in Green Bay.

Elliott has gained more rushing yards in each of his three full seasons. Only in 2017, when he served a six-game suspension, did Elliott gain fewer yards, rushing for 983 in 10 games.

The past four seasons, the Cowboys have averaged 467 carries for 2,171 yards. The Packers’ top rushing season under McCarthy was in 2013 when they had 459 rushes for 2,136 yards.

But McCarthy vows to get Elliott the football in Dallas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So how soon before MM can start shedding some roster weight?

✭RIDE✭OR✭DIE✭

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Zeke needs to be fed for sure but should not be the focal point of the offense, imho. I get his price tag may dictate otherwise and thats a valid point. But if I know that and you know that, then every DC we face knows that and will game plan accordingly. Im really hoping the new staff/OC run a LOT more spread and RPO's schemes. I feel getting Pollard more involved in the offense will really pay dividends in not only preserving Zeke but also giving the outside edge plays the speed that Zeke simply doesn't have.

NEW RUN GAME COORDINATOR?
MCCARTHY PROMISES TO FEED ZEKE.....

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Zeke needs to be fed for sure but should not be the focal point of the offense, imho. I get his price tag may dictate otherwise and thats a valid point. But if I know that and you know that, then every DC we face knows that and will game plan accordingly. Im really hoping the new staff/OC run a LOT more spread and RPO's schemes. I feel getting Pollard more involved in the offense will really pay dividends in not only preserving Zeke but also giving the outside edge plays the speed that Zeke simply doesn't have.

All of the above and I kinda think McCarthy will call a few plays and sets that aren't the same fucking thing as the last decade plus.

Tass

Spectator
Reaction score
I hope MM makes them dump the "Hot Boyz" nickname.

It's fucking embarrassing, y'all.

I would have loved to see the list of rejected nicknames.

Smooth Operators
Mama's Little Soldiers
Wrestling Fans
Thirsty Jocks
Pink Twinkies
Lollipop Lovers
Skin Flautists
Sticky Bunz

I mean, the list just writes itself.

Top Bottom