Reaction score
They didn't do a damn thing wrong. The owners having an agreement to limit spending in an uncapped year is actually collusion.

Dallas should appeal and sue immediately and go forward with signing anyone and everyone planned.

Show me a written law or rule that a lawyer would be able to use as support. All they have are some owners whining behind the scenes about our spending. If this goes to court, those owners will more than likely not want to be exposed and this whole thing will just be settled.

I would bury Oakland, NO, Green Bay, Houston and anyone else who front-loaded their contracts.

These guys are just going after Jerrah and Snyder cuz they're the most embarrassing owners in the league. Leave us the hell alone, asshole.
Goodell doesn't need the law on his side. He makes it up as he goes.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
They didn't do a damn thing wrong. The owners having an agreement to limit spending in an uncapped year is actually collusion.

Dallas should appeal and sue immediately and go forward with signing anyone and everyone planned.

Show me a written law or rule that a lawyer would be able to use as support. All they have are some owners whining behind the scenes about our spending. If this goes to court, those owners will more than likely not want to be exposed and this whole thing will just be settled.

I would bury Oakland, NO, Green Bay, Houston and anyone else who front-loaded their contracts.

These guys are just going after Jerrah and Snyder cuz they're the most embarrassing owners in the league. Leave us the hell alone, asshole.

They didn't say teams couldn't spend.

They just said don't abuse the ability to structure a contract so as to give your team an advantage down the road.

I think there's a pretty big difference between the two.

Spending does not necessitate that you load 30-40% of a contract onto the first year. Had Dallas actually written Austin's contract like they had written contracts in the past, it wouldn't even be an issue.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The zone is pretty lively right now with calls for law suits.

What do you fellas think? Any sort of legal action coming from this?

I can't see it personally.

Jerry's a business man.

He hasn't lost a single dollar yet. Legal action costs money and should the league get into an all out war between two sharks and a school of fish, who knows how much the two top breadwinners would lose.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
300px-Scooby-gang-1969%20(640%20x%20480).jpg

Rog? Rhat rog?

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
As much as everything was covered during the time leading up to, during and after the lockout, I don't recall hearing anything stating this was wrong. If it wasn't forbidden by the league then, there shouldn't be punishment now.

Reaction score

Jerry's a business man.

He hasn't lost a single dollar yet. Legal action costs money and should the league get into an all out war between two sharks and a school of fish, who knows how much the two top breadwinners would lose.

I'm pissed about it, but I doubt there's much we can really do. The union agreed to it, and free agency starts tomorrow so it's not like we'd be able to resolve anything in time to help. The facts to me are that we didn't break any rules and that the league participated in collusion.

At the end of the day, this goes back to Jerry and Stephen just recklessly and carelessly plowing through another day in the office. They throw away cap space and draft picks like Santa gives out candy canes on Christmas.

It's no coincidence that Jones and Snyder are the only two owners who find themselves in this predicament.

Last edited:

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score

Jerry's a business man.

I don't know about a lawsuit, but I'm wondering about an appeal. Can they appeal the fine? Will either team? How long can they drag that out?

I would appeal no matter what. Something just seems off about this whole thing. The league signs off on contracts. Who signed off on the bad contracts? Why did they endorse those deals? Will that person lose his/her job?

Appeal it and drag it out as long as possible.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't know about a lawsuit, but I'm wondering about an appeal. Can they appeal the fine? Will either team? How long can they drag that out?

I would appeal no matter what. Something just seems off about this whole thing. The league signs off on contracts. Who signed off on the bad contracts? Why did they endorse those deals? Will that person lose his/her job?

Appeal it and drag it out as long as possible.

The league can't practically reject a contract during a labor dispute.

Legally, I don't think they could do it either but I'm not sure.

I don't think the issue is so much about going over a non-existant cap but more so about rigging the cap in your favore for future years down the road.

They called it a threat to competitive balance and I'm not even sure they can sue based on that because the owners signed off on the rules.

They can probably appeal but I think it'd be a long shot. Sounds like the entire league was on board with sticking it to these guys.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yeah, good points.

I'm not so much worked up about the penalty, or the fact that both teams were in the wrong. I'd just like a clear explanation as to how Goodell can carry out this punishment without written and agreed upon rules.

I guess we'll get more info over the next few days.

I don't see how this incident is anymore damaging to the league than spygate or the ongoing bounty investigation. I'll be anxious to see what the league does to the Saints/Williams.

At least they didn't take away our 1st round draft pick.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The idea of a lawsuit is ridiculous. Jerry isn't enemies with the league, he's now a huge part of the league. He's the head of the NFL network. He's leading the charge for more stajiums around the league so his fellow owners can have their own mini Jerryworlds. He desperately wants to host another Superbowl. He's not going to jeopardize all that.

He'll probably appeal and do some politicking behind the scenes but he isn't going to sue the league.

Reaction score
League requires Cowboys, Redskins to take half their cap reductions in 2012

When reports of the uncapped year cap slap of the Cowboys and Redskins emerged on Monday, it was explained that the teams could decide on their own how to divide the cap consequences in 2012 and 2013. That prompted some speculation that the teams would spend now, and fight later.

A league source tells PFT that the teams will be required to absorb at least half of the cap consequences in 2012. For the Cowboys, it means $5 million in lost cap room. For the Redskins, $18 million disappears.

They can each choose to absorb more of the cap penalty in 2012, or they can push all of the other half to 2013.

In contrast, the teams that received the $1.643 million cap credit (which comes from the Cowboys/Redskins’ lost cap space) can use split it up however they choose over the next two seasons. Every franchise except the Raiders and Saints receives the extra credit.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah I figured this stuff about pushing it to the future was bogus yesterday.

why penalize someone and then let them off the hook?

that 5 million will probably cost us robinson and who knows what else this week.

Reaction score
Yeah I figured this stuff about pushing it to the future was bogus yesterday.

why penalize someone and then let them off the hook?

that 5 million will probably cost us robinson and who knows what else this week.

Not that big of a loss, IMO.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
In that worst case scenario, we'll still have Murray, Witten, and a strong running game.

well the big man is saying he will be back and werder is wrong....so..

bye bye robinson, thanks for the 11 tds.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bryant goes for 1300 and 12 TDs next season.

theebs barfs in his cheerios.

Robinson goes to StL and goes for 450 and 3 TDs.

Top Bottom