Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Read back through this thread, I think there was another thread with this topic too. They (and those people know who they are) were bashing the team over this.

I complained and I am not worried about it or whatever...

If the cowboys did something everyone agreed not to do they should be facing a penalty.

You keep bringing up goodell, this is n issue with the other owners, they enforced this.

I still ave not heard anyone who knows the situation clearly because the league has not said anything.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

If the cowboys did something everyone agreed not to do they should be facing a penalty.

You keep bringing up goodell, this is n issue with the other owners, they enforced this.

I still ave not heard anyone who knows the situation clearly because the league has not said anything.

The Cowboys didnt do anything wrong, and Goodells office approved the contracts.

Goodell easily could have told the owners whining about this that there was nothing that could be done, since neither the Cowboys or Redskins did anything wrong.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The Cowboys didnt do anything wrong, and Goodells office approved the contracts.

Goodell easily could have told the owners whining about this that there was nothing that could be done, since neither the Cowboys or Redskins did anything wrong.

The problem here is that the "whiners" all share in a vote about decisions regarding punishment among the teams.

Goodell likely didn't even partake in the matter if the league as a whole decided that they weren't going to allow teams to create ridiculous unbalanced cap hits for top notch players.

He may have had to "act" as a matter of procedure by brining the complaint to the committee but no doubt he was instructed to do so.

Every team elects a member and they all vote unless the vote is on something regarding a specific team, in which case that team is left out.

This is a punishment handed out by the league.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score

This is my best guess.

The league has said that the contracts signed in 2010 placed a risk on competitive balance in the future.

Because Dallas has a ridiculously low cap number for a player who in any other year would probably count for 3X that amount, the league has decided that Dallas has basically obtained additional cap space because they are be charged far less for a player than what his status at the time would dictate.

Dallas payed the man similar money to other players of his caliber but they used the 2010 cap to essentially eradicate about 1/3rd of the cap hit.

As a result, Austin's number for 2011 was about 2.5M (after restructuring which is obviously premeditated to a near insulting degree).

Prior to restructuring his cap hit in 2012 was less than 2M but because the 7.8M (or about) was spread out through the rest of the contract, his cap hit is once again around 2.5M

Compare that cap hit to players of his level and there is a huge difference. Average for Top 10 WR in 2011 as far as cap hit goes was like 8.5M - 9M. In 2012 it was much higher and even excluding Megatrons sky high number, it's still around 10M

For 2011 and 2012 Dallas took a combined cap hit of less than 5M for a player who should otherwise cost about 19M and they will not have to catch up on that difference at all going forward. His cap hit is below 7M from here until 2016, at which point its over 11M.

Think about that. By the time 2016 gets here, 11M probably won't be top 10.

As a result, every year of his contract that counts agains the REAL cap, he's counting for a number that is substantially lower than what the average top 10 players at his position would dictate.

They've already benefitted by the move and will do so until his contract runs out. By dumping that money to 2010, they've paid the man what the market says he deserves but do not have to see a large amount hit the cap EVER for the life of the contract. They essentially scored free cap space.

Not mention the Cowboys and Redskins had the two highest would-be salary caps in 2010 according to a PFT article I saw floating around. Here's the article.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...alary-cap-numbers-if-there-were-a-salary-cap/

What was the would-be cap that year? 126M?

That means 5 teams exceeded the cap by 10M with Dallas and Washington being at least 20M above the next closest team.

I'd bet some of the teams were handed a free pass because they could have dumped the contract and remained theoretically compliant.

But Dallas and Washington were way over to begin with and essentially tacked on a shit ton more to free up space for future years. The league decided there was absolutely no way in hell that either team would have structured that deal like that and did it only to benefit future years and did so to an egregious extent.

IMO, Dallas and Washington are not being punished specifically for what they did in 2010. They are being punished because what they did essentially handed them free cap space in the years following 2010 thus creating a risk to competitive balance. Shitty part is, both teams get knocked for it and neither team has been in a position or looks to be in a position of real contention. All that fucking stupid ass scheming for nothing and then get punished on top of it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Found on CZ:

Per Adam Schefter the only teams who did not take advantage of the uncapped year are the Bengals, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Vikings, and Broncos.

Those teams are going to get more cap room in 2013.

The other teams apparently are not getting sanctioned, just Mara's 2 main rivals.

Reaction score
That's the shady part of it all. Mara clearly went after his NFC east foes. This is so transparent and somehow the league is still able to get away with it.

C

Cr122

Why does it always feel like we have a foot to our throat with this team every year?

I'm going to die a depressed Cowboy's fan.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Goodell works for the owners and when the majority of them tell him this has to be done he has no power to stop it.

This is from the other front offices and that is why nothing will be done about it.

It's over

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This is my best guess.

The league has said that the contracts signed in 2010 placed a risk on competitive balance in the future.

Because Dallas has a ridiculously low cap number for a player who in any other year would probably count for 3X that amount, the league has decided that Dallas has basically obtained additional cap space because they are be charged far less for a player than what his status at the time would dictate.

Dallas payed the man similar money to other players of his caliber but they used the 2010 cap to essentially eradicate about 1/3rd of the cap hit.

As a result, Austin's number for 2011 was about 2.5M (after restructuring which is obviously premeditated to a near insulting degree).

Prior to restructuring his cap hit in 2012 was less than 2M but because the 7.8M (or about) was spread out through the rest of the contract, his cap hit is once again around 2.5M

Compare that cap hit to players of his level and there is a huge difference. Average for Top 10 WR in 2011 as far as cap hit goes was like 8.5M - 9M. In 2012 it was much higher and even excluding Megatrons sky high number, it's still around 10M

For 2011 and 2012 Dallas took a combined cap hit of less than 5M for a player who should otherwise cost about 19M and they will not have to catch up on that difference at all going forward. His cap hit is below 7M from here until 2016, at which point its over 11M.

Think about that. By the time 2016 gets here, 11M probably won't be top 10.

As a result, every year of his contract that counts agains the REAL cap, he's counting for a number that is substantially lower than what the average top 10 players at his position would dictate.

They've already benefitted by the move and will do so until his contract runs out. By dumping that money to 2010, they've paid the man what the market says he deserves but do not have to see a large amount hit the cap EVER for the life of the contract. They essentially scored free cap space.

Not mention the Cowboys and Redskins had the two highest would-be salary caps in 2010 according to a PFT article I saw floating around. Here's the article.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...alary-cap-numbers-if-there-were-a-salary-cap/

What was the would-be cap that year? 126M?

That means 5 teams exceeded the cap by 10M with Dallas and Washington being at least 20M above the next closest team.

I'd bet some of the teams were handed a free pass because they could have dumped the contract and remained theoretically compliant.

But Dallas and Washington were way over to begin with and essentially tacked on a shit ton more to free up space for future years. The league decided there was absolutely no way in hell that either team would have structured that deal like that and did it only to benefit future years and did so to an egregious extent.

IMO, Dallas and Washington are not being punished specifically for what they did in 2010. They are being punished because what they did essentially handed them free cap space in the years following 2010 thus creating a risk to competitive balance. Shitty part is, both teams get knocked for it and neither team has been in a position or looks to be in a position of real contention. All that fucking stupid ass scheming for nothing and then get punished on top of it.

Makes sense and like I said initially, they knowingly did this and if they face a penalty for it well it seems like they should.

The owners are not going to change there mind on this so the issue is over to me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This reaks of extreme bias, especially in light of the fact that virtually every team did what the Cowboys and Redskins are being punished for, yet no one else is being punished.

Reaction score
Its not the crippling effect on the cap some on here made it out to be, it wasnt even 4% of the cap in either year.

But the fact that the moron made such a mind numblingly stupid decision itself is a big deal, and hopefully he'll get slapped for it.

As much as I hate Snyder, I hope him and Jones go hard after the league office on this.
I don't think it was crippling... but I also don't think it was "no big deal." Truth is in between as usual.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Voting to single out 1 or 2 teams, for what the majority also did is called "bias'

The Redskins and Cowboys were spending well above the majority before each of those contracts.

They knew what they were doing when they created them.

Reaction score
Calvin Watkins ‏ @calvinwatkins
Stephen Jones on the cap penalty: "It's not going to be able to stop us ...." He would not say if the team would challenge the ruling.

Reaction score
Calvin Watkins ‏ @calvinwatkins
Stephen Jones said team will take $5 mil cap deduction this year and $5 mil in 2013.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The Redskins and Cowboys were spending well above the majority before each of those contracts.

They knew what they were doing when they created them.

Do you have the numbers, or are you just blindly stating this?

Top Bottom