Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
sure they did, to get the new deal approved...it doesnt mean they dont believe the league owners werent guilty of collusion

They signed off on the punishment. Why would they agree to the cap slash and then turn around and sue the NFL?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
John Mara: Cowboys and Redskins are lucky they didn't lose picks

John Mara, New York Giants' owner and chair of the NFL Management Council, which imposed the salary cap penalties said the Redskins and Cowboys shouldn't be surprised by the penalties that were imposed according to Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com.

"I thought the penalties imposed were proper," Mara said. "What they did was in violation of the spirit of the salary cap. They attempted to take advantage of a one-year loophole, and quite frankly, I think they're lucky they didn't lose draft picks."

"They attempted to take advantage of it knowing full well there would be consequences."

Said Jerry Jones Sunday: "That's John's opinion. That's not my opinion."

When reached for comment on the filing of a grievance, the Redskins said they were referring all calls to the league office.

Gee, Mara. No conflict of interest there.:thumbsup

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
just heard pat kirwan say that he thinks because of the power of jerry jones that they will win there case and get next years cap space back.

he also eluded to the fact that the other owners knew this and that is why they insisted on the cap penalty being 50% each year....

so basically they were slapping the two most wealthy organizations on the back of the head just to show they could?

Reaction score
We should get $5m extra next year.

Props to Jerry fighting this on principle alone.

You lame ass owners aren't rich enough so you force a lockout and then cry about me using that to my advantage?

:Jerry suck mah dick

Reaction score
NFL's statement on salary cap challenge
Here is the NFL's statement on the Redskins' and Cowboys challenge to the salary cap penalties imposed on them by the NFL;

The Cowboys and Redskins have challenged the NFL's recent agreement with the NFL Players Association to set the salary cap for 2012 and to reallocate certain salary cap room from Dallas and Washington to 28 other clubs.

The reallocation aspect of the agreement is intended to address competitive issues from contract practices by those clubs in the 2010 League Year intended to avoid certain salary cap charges in 2011 and later years.

Under the agreement with the NFLPA, the two clubs will be charged a total of $46 million in cap room in the 2012 and 2013 seasons ($18 million per year for Washington; $5 million per year for Dallas). That room, instead, will be reallocated to 28 other clubs in the 2012 and 2013 season as determined by the Club. (The New Orleans Saints and Oakland Raiders, which engaged in similar contract practices at a far different level, will not receive any additional cap room. Those two clubs have not challenged the agreement with the NFLPA.)

The agreement will promote competitive balance without reducing the salary cap or player spending on a league-wide basis.

The arbitration will be heard by Professor Stephen Burbank of the University of Pennsylvania. No date has been set for a hearing. The clubs were advised of the status of the proceeding at today's league meeting. The NFL and Clubs will have no further comment at this time.

Reaction score
Like I said, I think were going to win this.

That's why they announced it the day before free agency started and they wouldn't let us take the hit next year. It was a little illegal f you by the owners and mightve cost us one of our top targets

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Kirwan said we are going to win a few weeks ago....he said the league even knew this would happen and that is why they insisted they do it 50/50.

I believe he said in the end they will give next years cap money back.

Reaction score
League requests dismissal of Cowboys, Redskins grievance
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT

On May 10, Special Master Stephen Burbank will consider the grievance filed by the Cowboys and Redskins arising from the $46 million in total cap space stripped from the two franchises because they treated the “uncapped year” a bit too literally.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL has tried to block the hearing by submitting a request to dismiss the grievance.

The NFL contends that, because the NFL Players Association consented to the imposition of cap penalties, the Cowboys and Redskins have no grounds to attack the agreement under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which governs the relationship between the league and the players.

Of course, if that argument prevails, the Cowboys and Redskins could be forced to pursue other avenues of relief. Ultimately, the Cowboys and Redskins could choose to claim that the sanctions against them arise from an effort by the NFL to engage in collusion during the uncapped year.

-----

Ya think?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
it'll be interesting to see what the settlement is once we win (because they are going to win)

Simply giving back the money might not be enough, because they cost us the time during he f/a period where we might have could used it on some player/s who signed elsewhere.

I cant remember who it was, but one of the NFL reporters (might have been Mort) suggested the Cowboys and Redskins might get a draft pick or two in addition to the cap space. Said the pick would be in a future draft.

Top Bottom