dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
what does this mean?

So its good that our team which is desperate for new talent just took at least a 5 million dollar hit this year?

that could equal a center, defensive lineman, safety or a number lower tier guys...

It means just what I said.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You must mean Bob Watson.

no watson came in later.

Gene michael became GM, Roy White was one of his right hand men and a big voice on talent.

I saw these two twice at ny penn league games in 90 and then 91.

bob watson just stepped in later on and got in the drivers seat of what was already rolling.

MIcheals, white and showalter went young and had a plan....it paid off huge.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
cool, I remember that next time you are whining about goodell being the worst and how the giants are the worst team to ever win a superbowl...

Goodell is the worst commissioner, and the Giants are the worst super bowl winner ever.

Only some blind fools would even try to argue otherwise, especially on the Giants thing.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
no watson came in later.

Gene michael became GM, Roy White was one of his right hand men and a big voice on talent.

I saw these two twice at ny penn league games in 90 and then 91.

bob watson just stepped in later on and got in the drivers seat of what was already rolling.

MIcheals, white and showalter went young and had a plan....it paid off huge.

You don't mean Roy White (the former Yankee player), do you?

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You don't mean Roy White (the former Yankee player), do you?

Yes the former yankee who bounced around from japan and the yankees and oakland systems as a base coach, hitting coach and scout...

He and stick were always tight and he was right there on all that young talent.

in 90 they were sitting together at a utica blue sox oneonta yankees game right behind me....they signed my little league hat and told me to remember to always hustle!!!

Reaction score
I'm with Dbair.

Losing 10 million in cap space on the eve of Free Agency is a total non-issue.

GO COWBOYS!!!

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
what does this mean?

So its good that our team which is desperate for new talent just took at least a 5 million dollar hit this year?

that could equal a center, defensive lineman, safety or a number lower tier guys...

Doesn't have to be 5 this year tho.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm with Dbair.

Losing 10 million in cap space on the eve of Free Agency is a total non-issue.

GO COWBOYS!!!

Did you read the articles on it? They can spread it between this year and next year.

Its not even 5% of the cap allotment.

It sux, but its hardly the type of crushing defeat some of you have made it out to be.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
~shoving my head up my own ass~

I see how this is not worth being upset about now.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be 5 this year tho.

right, but if they put 100,000 dollars on this years cap and then the rest next year will that be ok?

i am asking because the only thing I have seen is that they could split it up half each year from broaddus.

Hopefully they can do that and then just eat it next year when the dead money comes off.

Reaction score
Did you read the articles on it? They can spread it between this year and next year.

Its not even 5% of the cap allotment.

It sux, but its hardly the type of crushing defeat some of you have made it out to be.

Losing 10 million is still losing 10 million, no matter how you divide it up.

And that doesn't even take into consideration the 1.6 million other teams GAIN from this - further widening the gap.

You know... teams like the Eagles and Giants. And teams that'll be battling us for the likes to sign the Edwards, Carrs, Nicks, etc of the world.

This is a shitty situation, no matter how hard you try and minimize it.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
right, but if they put 100,000 dollars on this years cap and then the rest next year will that be ok?

i am asking because the only thing I have seen is that they could split it up half each year from broaddus.

Hopefully they can do that and then just eat it next year when the dead money comes off.
They can split it up between the two years any way they want to.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I guess it depends on how they have the teams cap situation strucutred for next year. It could be they have alot more room next year when alot of the dead money is gone, and maybe they plant most of it on the 2013 cap.

Again its not that much money. If they did 5 this yr and next its about 4% of the cap allotment. They might choose to do almost all of it next year, in which case many of you people are really whining over nothing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Losing 10 million is still losing 10 million, no matter how you divide it up.

And that doesn't even take into consideration the 1.6 million other teams GAIN from this - further widening the gap.

You know... teams like the Eagles and Giants. And teams that'll be battling us for the likes to sign the Edwards, Carrs, Nicks, etc of the world.

This is a shitty situation, no matter how hard you try and minimize it.

Its a big so-what situation. Some of you just like the idea of being able to pile on the team any chance you get.

It sux, we are losing SOME cap space, but it ultimately probably wont have any impact on our ability to sign or keep whomever we want.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how they have the teams cap situation strucutred for next year. It could be they have alot more room next year when alot of the dead money is gone, and maybe they plant most of it on the 2013 cap.

Again its not that much money. If they did 5 this yr and next its about 4% of the cap allotment. They might choose to do almost all of it next year, in which case many of you people are really whining over nothing.

if that is the case that we can just eat it all next year minus a little this year and that they agreed to take this hit with the redskins because of the agreement then it is something they should be completely prepared for and not miss a beat.

if they come out tomorrow and tell us that they are not big players because of this though and that they are suprised then this theory does not make sense.

so hopefully they expected it all along and are ready to do what they need to tomorrow.

after all hostile said we are signing williams, stanford routt, michael huff and keeping spencer.....

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The NFL is taking away millions of dollars of salary-cap space belonging to the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins for front-loading contracts during the uncapped 2010 season, according to league sources.

NFL Rumor Central
ESPN Insider can help you keep up with the latest twists and turns of NFL free agency. Check back often for the latest buzz. Rumor Central

The salary cap is projected to be $120.6 million in 2012, but the Cowboys will lose $10 million, while the Redskins will be docked $36 million in cap space, sources said.

Dallas and Washington can split the cap loss over the 2012 and '13 seasons in whatever form they prefer, with $1.6 million each going to the other 28 NFL teams, the sources said.

The New Orleans Saints and Oakland Raiders are the only two teams that will not receive a portion of the money.

During the pre-lockout 2010 season, the collective bargaining agreement expired and the league operated without a salary cap

According to sources, the Cowboys and Redskins took immediate cap hits during the 2010 season that normally would have been spread out over the length of the contracts, giving them an advantage that other NFL owners found unfair.

In September 2010, the Cowboys signed wide receiver Miles Austin to a six-year extension worth $54 million and paid him a $17 million base salary that season.

Also, as part of the original deal, Austin was to receive a base salary of $8.5 million in 2011, but Dallas created cap room before the season by lowering Austin's salary to $685,000 and turning $7.855 million into a signing bonus.

The league took an abnormally long time to release the 2012 cap number, due in part to the fact that the league was trying to decide how to handle the issues, the sources said.

According to the sources, the deductions are not termed as violations, but are part of a recent agreement the NFL and the Players Association made to raise the salary cap number while preserving benefit increases and the performance pool.

Information from ESPNDallas.com's Todd Archer contributed to this report

Top Bottom