Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And while not the norm, a number of pretty average QB's have won super bowls and even a few teams with BACKUP QB's won a Super Bowl.

That's why I mentioned the outlier(s) but I don't want to be depending on an outlier. I want to be a contender. Cooper Rush, for as well as he's played, won't take us to the SB. I don't want to rely on a Nick Foles type miracle. But you're the ultimate optimist so have at it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That's why I mentioned the outlier(s) but I don't want to be depending on an outlier. I want to be a contender. Cooper Rush, for as well as he's played, won't take us to the SB. I don't want to rely on a Nick Foles type miracle. But you're the ultimate optimist so have at it.
I'm not disagreeing with you in thinking the QB spot needs to be seriously addressed after the season.

As for the ultimate optimist part, I had the most negative prediction of anyone in that other thread that Dooms started (I said at least 0-5)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

When watching him in these clips and the highlights from previous 3 games, its almost unbelievable how good he is right now. And to think he basically spent the whole offseason, training camp and preseason playing LG.

This guy didn't come from Alabama, USC or Michigan (insert any bigtime traditional power) either. He came from Tulsa.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cowboys defense, currently ranked 27th in rush yards per game allowed at an ugly 137.5

We are tied for 23rd in yds per attempt allowed at an awful 5.0 yds per rush, although one of the teams we are tied with might surprise people. It's the Eagles.

We are tied for 1st in fewest rushing TD's allowed (one)

We are ranked 3rd in opposing QB rating allowed at 71.2, tied for 2nd most in sacks (15), 6th in yds passing per game allowed (171.0)

We are 7th in total defense and 3rd in scoring defense (15.5)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Right, and then if they somehow end up with less run plays than pass plays with a backup QB starting you'll be one of first in line to say "Kellen Moore wont commit to the run even when it's obvious they should be trying to game plan with a backup QB better"

The play calling is not bad,
Running EVERY TIME on 1st and 10 doesn't equate to commitment to the run. In fact it's just the opposite. "I'll run it in the worst possible situations so it won't work, thereby necessitating 50 pass attempts."

Not getting that result yet due mainly to the D stopping people.

You don't wanna see the OCCASIONAL play-action on 1st and 10? Maybe even uncork a (gasp) BOMB on 1st and 10? Shit even just a quick screen now and then? Swing pass? Be even just a little tiny bit unpredictable and creative?

Make them defend more than just "hey diddle diddle, run up the middle?" Or just be mindlessly religious?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Running EVERY TIME on 1st and 10 doesn't equate to commitment to the run. In fact it's just the opposite. "I'll run it in the worst possible situations so it won't work, thereby necessitating 50 pass attempts."

Not getting that result yet due mainly to the D stopping people.

You don't wanna see the OCCASIONAL play-action on 1st and 10? Maybe even uncork a (gasp) BOMB on 1st and 10? Shit even just a quick screen now and then? Swing pass? Be even just a little tiny bit unpredictable and creative?

Make them defend more than just "hey diddle diddle, run up the middle?" Or just be mindlessly religious?
ok...lets pass every time on 1st and 10 and run on 3rd and 13...that'll get em!

If we were only running the ball into 8, 9 and 10 man fronts, maybe you'd have a legitimate point...but it isn't, they run plenty into normal fronts and don't get enough movement or open holes. At some point people have to start looking at the OL blocking scheme. We don't have the raw talent we had in 2013/2014/2015/2016 on the OL now but it's not THAT bad. We should be able to run better than this.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
ok...lets pass every time on 1st and 10 and run on 3rd and 13...that'll get em!
Nothing close to what I'm saying. You'd rather lie about what's said than just admit it's a reasonable point.

If we were only running the ball into 8, 9 and 10 man fronts, maybe you'd have a legitimate point.
Nobody said that either. Again, you have to lie about what's said.

You admit you're not watching the games.

You don't understand the problem.

You don't even want to discuss it in an honest way.

19 carries for Zeke with more than half of them on 1st and 10 into 8 or 9 man boxes is why you only get 49 fucking yards.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This wunderkind play caller we have has no feel for the game, no awareness of the flow or momentum, and fucking sucks as a play caller we have always said so and it's well documented here on these forums. It's not even debatable. The fucking play calling STILL sucks and is STILL one of the big problems we have. It's predictable and has no imagination. Every DC in the league knows it and so does every defensive player.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Nothing close to what I'm saying. You'd rather lie about what's said than just admit it's a reasonable point.

Nobody said that either. Again, you have to lie about what's said.

You admit you're not watching the games.

You don't understand the problem.

You don't even want to discuss it in an honest way.

19 carries for Zeke with more than half of them on 1st and 10 into 8 or 9 man boxes is why you only get 49 fucking yards.
Where have I ever aid I don't watch the Cowboy games? I watch every Cowboy game.

Please show us some video evidence of Zeke running into 8 or 9 man boxes on every one of those runs. You won't be able to, because it didn't happen. Some plays they did, some didn't. They also did not run every time on 1st and 10.

Maybe they just don't want to try and rely too much on the arm of a backup QB who by everyone's own observations was not all that great (obviously they didnt think he was all that great either, otherwise they never would have played the roster game they did with him at the end of preseason)

Could they mix it up a tad more? Probably. But at the end of the day they've had a serious problem running the football for awhile now, even when some of their better players have been healthy and on the field.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This wunderkind play caller we have has no feel for the game, no awareness of the flow or momentum, and fucking sucks as a play caller we have always said so and it's well documented here on these forums. It's not even debatable. The fucking play calling STILL sucks and is STILL one of the big problems we have. It's predictable and has no imagination. Every DC in the league knows it and so does every defensive player.

We were so sick of Garrett that he actually looked "different" and we confused it with better. He lacks enough experience to have a good feel for the game.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Please show us some video evidence of Zeke running into 8 or 9 man boxes on every one of those runs. You won't be able to, because it didn't happen. Some plays they did, some didn't. They also did not run every time on 1st and 10
Just look at the play-by-play in the box score son. I happened to keep notes on it as the game progressed.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Just look at the play-by-play in the box score son. I happened to keep notes on it as the game progressed.
He didn't run against an 8 or 9 man front every time. There were definitely some, but not all.

Nor do all other teams in the league only run the ball into 6 and 7 man fronts. I'm quite certain other teams have run into 8 or 9 man fronts as well.

There is an extensive list of NFL RB's who constantly ran against crowded boxes in their careers, and they were not as unsuccessful week after week like we are.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He didn't run against an 8 or 9 man front every time
Never said that.
Nor do all other teams in the league only run the ball into 6 and 7 man fronts
Nobody ever said that.
There is an extensive list of NFL RB's who constantly ran against crowded boxes in their careers, and they were not as unsuccessful week after week like we are
That's one of our other problems, we just don't have a truly great back and we don't scheme for the run. You don't see counters, you seldom see traps, hardly ever see zone blocking. Just straight up man blocking. No creativity or variants. Nothing clever at all. Just plain vanilla.

Because our HC and OC don't like to run the ball and it shows. They're only doing it when they have to due to QB1 not being available. It's perfunctory.

It's why 1st and 10 is wunderkind's throwaway down.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Look at Kyle Shanahan's run scheming and play selection down and distance. Fucking study.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This one just came out of nowhere, hopefully one of these two replacement guys we sign can be adequate, but it isnt always easy to find really good deep snappers. We were blessed with two awesome ones for a L O N G time and this McQauide guy was not an issue at all so far.

Top Bottom