yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. I had mentioned the other day that MM is WCO guy and he kept Moore which is weird for a HC to not even install his system. Parcells did it for 1 years with Zimmer before he went 3 - 4 D.

If this is true, this may be a fuck you to Jerry to show him that his padawan apprentice doesn't know shit. And Jerry probably wanted Moore around to keep the O that Dak has been with and feels more comfortable with.

which is absurd, Dak needs a grizzled veteran who can teach and bring the best out of him not someone with Moores inexperience who is basically his peer 3 or 4 years removed

and I say this with no animosity toward Dak, I love the kids attitude, work ethic, hunger, passion, leadership, etc but I'm shocked at how difficult it appears to be for him to improve his throwing accuracy, anticipation, etc.

I remember hearing how Romo practiced until midnight like every night throwing at street lamps, friends, into his coach, wearing Chris Palmer out running drills relentlessly, all to improve his throwing accuracy, anticipation, etc. This seems like a muscle memory issue not some innate talent that cant be learned or improved upon. Maybe thats a BS story but if not, it shows it can be improved with practice.

The priority all too often is about making players and or jeri & spawn comfortable and thats the exact opposite of what you need to win at the highest level imo

I seem to recall Landry saying to the effect that it was his job to make all the players consistently do what they didnt want to do so they could achieve what they've always wanted

I'm sure I butchered that but I think it converts the message properly

there's been WAY Too much damn comfort with the Cowboys over the last 26 years but I see nothing ever changing

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hard for me to buy into any stories about a guys work ethic that flies off to Cabo for a few days before the biggest game of his career

And then sux on the field during the game

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hard for me to buy into any stories about a guys work ethic that flies off to Cabo for a few days before the biggest game of his career

And then sux on the field during the game

The point is not to praise Romo but if he really did practice and improve upon a skill he was deficient in, it begs the question why Dak doesnt do it and still struggle with passing accuracy and timing?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The point is not to praise Romo but if he really did practice and improve upon a skill he was deficient in, it begs the question why Dak doesnt do it and still struggle with passing accuracy and timing?

I have no idea if its true or not, but by all accounts Prescott is an extremely hard worker.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I have no idea if its true or not, but by all accounts Prescott is an extremely hard worker.

I agree, I wonder what he does to improve his passing accuracy & timing, its weird how bad he's looked at times, like this extreme example:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
which is absurd, Dak needs a grizzled veteran who can teach and bring the best out of him not someone with Moores inexperience who is basically his peer 3 or 4 years removed

Precisely my issue with Moore. And is probably a reason Dak likes him. I don't think there's anything that Moore can teach Dak. There just isn't. Moore is too young and lacks any real coaching experience beyond what he was handed in Dallas. But Dak is comfortable with Moore and not threatened in any way. And Moore's future, without any coaching history, is linked to Dak's success, or lack there of, on the field. I don't think Moore is going anywhere and I'd bet some teams soured on him as he and the offense were exposed after the Pats game. The offense just looked completely different to me.

and I say this with no animosity toward Dak, I love the kids attitude, work ethic, hunger, passion, leadership, etc but I'm shocked at how difficult it appears to be for him to improve his throwing accuracy, anticipation, etc.

I remember hearing how Romo practiced until midnight like every night throwing at street lamps, friends, into his coach, wearing Chris Palmer out running drills relentlessly, all to improve his throwing accuracy, anticipation, etc. This seems like a muscle memory issue not some innate talent that cant be learned or improved upon. Maybe thats a BS story but if not, it shows it can be improved with practice.

By all accounts, Dak is a hard worker. By the same token, I've heard reports that he's not a good practice player. He's in year 6. He should be able to read a defense or throw a receiver open at this point. And we've seen him do it, but just not on a consistent basis. I'm still hoping MM can help him improve.

there's been WAY Too much damn comfort with the Cowboys over the last 26 years but I see nothing ever changing

Yep.....players play in Dallas to become stars and get rich. Winning and SB's are secondary. It's just telling to me how many players regressed after signing huge deals; Zeke, Lawrence, Collins, The Gimp, and Cooper come to mind.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree, I wonder what he does to improve his passing accuracy & timing, its weird how bad he's looked at times, like this extreme example:

Pretty embarrassing but I have to tell you, that video no longer bothers me. I've seen the kid make enough throws to know he's good enough to do it, he just needs to be able to read a defense better and pull the trigger. He doesn't have the arm talent of Mahomes or Allen or some of the other young guns but who does? MM is an offensive coach. If he can't work with Dak, I'd like to see what a guy like Payton can do with him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
he just needs to be able to read a defense better and pull the trigger
Nobody unlearns or forgets how to read defenses. Nobody gets non-aggressive. Unless both are coached. Dak always read defenses just fine. From 2016 on. His problem is this idiot scheme Moore has installed. When something performance related suddenly changes and not due to injury or age logic demands we look at the coaching.

Aaron Rodgers, great as he is, looked like shit and played like shit his last two years with the fatass slob as HC. Rolling his eyes in the huddle when the play call would come in. Just throwing the ball away very often, for no apparent reason. It's a pattern. QB suckage follows the fatass slob around.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I still wonder if whatever that mysterious shoulder injury from preseason/training camp didnt bother him all season long.

He was just off on so many throws this year. I mean he has never been Drew Brees or Troy Aikman with that but he definitely seemed off more this yr than in previous years. I also noticed in many games that he didnt seem to have the same kind if zip as previous years. Again I know he didnt have a shotgun arm to begin with, but it seemed like many throws just liked the RPM's they had in previous years. And there was definitely a hesitancy to throw long I thought.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Really doesn't sound like he wants to coach this yr (and maybe not ever).

That said, if he has told the Jones stooges that he wants to coach, then having a phone call with the Aints owner to see what it would take to get him out of his deal would be worthwhile.

I'm not a big fan of paying any franchise a bunch of picks (especially premium picks) for a coach though. I like Payton, but I don't think he is Jimmy in his prime or Belichick and those are really the only guys I could stomach seeing draft picks go down the tube for.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
He's like McCarthy: a good HC who hasn't won a SB in like forever. I like him .. but not if it means compensation. If he's free and clear in 2023, that's different.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nobody unlearns or forgets how to read defenses. Nobody gets non-aggressive. Unless both are coached. Dak always read defenses just fine. From 2016 on. His problem is this idiot scheme Moore has installed. When something performance related suddenly changes and not due to injury or age logic demands we look at the coaching.

Aaron Rodgers, great as he is, looked like shit and played like shit his last two years with the fatass slob as HC. Rolling his eyes in the huddle when the play call would come in. Just throwing the ball away very often, for no apparent reason. It's a pattern. QB suckage follows the fatass slob around.

Stop it man. He can't pull the trigger for whatever reason. Blaming the OC or HC is bullshit. I can see if folks aren't open. But that's not the case. Aikman, Warner, Romo and others have mentioned it in a very nice way. He is what he is. But that can be learned and he doesn't need Lombardi to show him. He has to want to do it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Stop it man. He can't pull the trigger for whatever reason. Blaming the OC or HC is bullshit. I can see if folks aren't open. But that's not the case. Aikman, Warner, Romo and others have mentioned it in a very nice way. He is what he is. But that can be learned and he doesn't need Lombardi to show him. He has to want to do it.
You see no such issues in prior seasons and not even early in this one. He suddenly just forgot how? It's a silly narrative. Something else is amiss be it injury, or coaching. We ALL know the coaching is suspect at best. Whole league does too.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You see no such issues in prior seasons and not even early in this one. He suddenly just forgot how? It's a silly narrative. Something else is amiss be it injury, or coaching. We ALL know the coaching is suspect at best. Whole league does too.

Really buddy? Did you just join the board this year? I've been talking about Dak's issues since his sophomore season where I think he regressed. We can overlook things as a rookie but you'd expect to see improvement in mechanics and decision making in the following year(s). I actually thought he turned the corner this year under MM/KM but he just regresses to what he is. The pattern is almost always the same....year after year after year.

The silly narrative is continuing to blame coaching when it's the same shit under a different coach. Dak is what he is. A good QB who can win you some games but can't do it consistently enough to win a SB or make a deep playoff run. And after coming back from a horrific injury, I think he's a tough QB.

We can all say what we want. After seeing some incredible QB play and arm talent this past weekend, I think it's safe to say Dak is not in that league. Not many 4th round QB's not named Brady are going to be that guy and it's OK. I've accepted it and dropped my expectations for the franchise; I like having an extra game in the playoffs. I like that we have the best QB is a weak NFC East. I like beating up on the Skin, Eagles and Giants. We'll even win some games we probably expected to lose. Unfortunately, Dak is being paid like a franchise QB and some folks expect to see from Dak what we saw this weekend. I know I did. But not any more. You can blame the coaches but we'll see the same thing when we inevitably change coaches again in the next year or two. The results will be the same and you'll be asking again why we didn't see these issues in the past as if you just joined the forum as a new member and you hadn't seen it discussed.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
as if you just joined the forum as a new member and you hadn't seen it discussed.
Seeing it "discussed" does not make it fact.

We have seen him make every throw, seen him do everything an elite QB does. This year, we made a change after the bye - less aggressive until the endgame, probably because of the improvement of the defense. These idiot coaches think aggressiveness is something you can turn off and on like a floor lamp but what happens is, the tentativeness creeps in at inappropriate times.

We see it in the total collapse of our run game and in our passing game, after the bye. An adjustment was made. To our detriment.

Top Bottom