Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ultimate irony - whole reason Jerruh didn't want to let Ginger get away was he let Payton walk and Payton promptly won a SB.

He really didn't let Payton walk. Had BP retired while Payton was still on the staff, he may have had a shot to coach here.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He really didn't let Payton walk. Had BP retired while Payton was still on the staff, he may have had a shot to coach here.
"Let him walk" so to speak, allowing him to interview for HC jobs. Point being, Payton's instant success made Jerruh clingy to anyone his pickled brain thought was comparable.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
"Let him walk" so to speak, allowing him to interview for HC jobs. Point being, Payton's instant success made Jerruh clingy to anyone his pickled brain thought was comparable.
You cant really prevent anyone from interviewing for a HC job though.

You can incent them to stay by paying them more (which is what they did with Payton when he thought about leaving after the 2004 season for Oakland, or like he did Red Headed Goober to keep him from leaving from Baltimore, St Louis, Atlanta etc etc.

What Parcells and Jones should have done after the 2005 season is hand the team over to Payton and have Parcells move into a front office type role for another season or two.

As for the clingy comment, I think that had to do a lot more with the perception that Jones was going through coaches like George Steinbrenner. Firing people without giving them enough time, even though Switzer, Gailey and Campo all deserved to be shitcanned when they got run off.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think Payton wants to start over again with a new QB. I'd be all in on Payton......
Are you still all in on Payton if it means Zimmer as DC? Would probably have some spawn of Zimmer on the staff here then too (he fired Edwards to promote said Spawn) and if that ends up being the case, we could end up with a lifetime commitment to the GROZ movement.

And it could happen. Zimmer and Payton are supposedly good with each other and both were coaches on the same staff under Parcells.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
c9cc66459333da362ac5e5c3d1ebd865.jpg

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Everyone cries like a baby annually that nobody will give Eric Bienemy a fair chance to be a HC.

If he doesn't even get an interview now with Chicago, you could consider this VERY telling.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Like I said, pretty telling that the GM they just hired from KC apparently has ZERO interest in Eric Bienemy.

And I don't care that he came late in the process either, if Bienemy was the gem all the media keep saying he is, this guy would absolutely know and would at LEAST slow down the process to bring the guy in for serious discussions.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is one of the blurb's from the CBSSports article on potential Payton destinations, it's on the Bears reaching to him:

Exploring candidates to replace Matt Nagy, the Bears did, in fact, inquire about trading for Payton, according to Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer, only for the longtime Saints coach to shut down talks, apparently wary of team management. So you can probably scratch this one off as a realistic possibility, but just know Chicago was reportedly -- and understandably -- interested.

Top Bottom