bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Good. Now our season isn't necessarily over if Dak misses significant time.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So does this add pressure for Dak to sign his deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Cowherd called this one on his show yesterday. Said Dalton would be the perfect backup QB for us. Good move IMO.
Agreed. Didn't see it coming, but I like it. Best backup we've had since, what, Beuerlein? And McCarthy can likely make him better. Plus, a little extra incentive for Dak to get the damn deal done...

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'd like to say for good this time, but we've danced this dance too many times to take it at face value.

His favorite cheer leader is now in New York

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up over there

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Agreed. Didn't see it coming, but I like it. Best backup we've had since, what, Beuerlein? And McCarthy can likely make him better. Plus, a little extra incentive for Dak to get the damn deal done...
Just being in that shitshow Bungles organization probably held him back some. 3 mil guaranteed for a backup who's a veteran with a great arm is money well spent. Give him his #9 jersey without hesitation.

I admit I thought of Beuerlein when Cowherd was speculating about this. If Dak refuses to sign the franchise tag we have QB covered. 7 mil is what he gets including incentives. Cheap insurance both if Dak doesn't sign or if he misses action due to injury for the first time as a pro.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So does this add pressure for Dak to sign his deal?

Nah. If he's not going to sign a deal or the franchise tender he's simply not going to. He can hold out for the forseeable future either way. He and his agent, they're not going to let this alter their plans.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
some of the fandom has felt close because of what we see on the field, the most recent example: the late season loss to Philly, if Dak were healthy … I can't tell you the NCF playoff teams were any better. The reason JG is gone is so many 8-8 teams that were fully capable of making a run and didn't

but truth also includes a bizarre defensive scheme designed to stop deep balls while often allowing RBs to utter gash the front 7, a DT rotation of 4 light weights … go figure. Most the D has been missing in Dallas for sometime.

the blatant beefing up of the DL this offseason is the most positive sign this century. I can't help but cringe at the memory of Nick Hayden starting for 4 years w/o a sack, that's not just weak, he was down right unlucky

On O any idiot could get a top unit with the talent - MM can ride the O that JG built pretty far. even with the LG situation this is likely a 30 point a game O

funny thing about Cowboys football - the two dynasties Landry in the 70s and Johnson in the 90s featured some of the most talented teams ever, especially, on D.

I'm thrilled with the off season so far - look at it like this - the Rams would not have smacked McCoy, Poe, and Gallimore for 270y on the ground in a playoff game. Adding Smith and Anae help this cause as well.

We just let Jones walk at RCB and drafted an instant replacement and signed Worley cheap, who actually had a better 2019 than Jones and is 2 years younger. Diggs and Worley combined cost half of signing Jones, and both may be better players. That makes 5 CBs who would get serious snaps if not start on any team.

I don't see a real FS and I can only assume the team doctors are very happy with the health of Sean, Jaylon, and Leighton at LB …. aside from that the talent has been upgraded.

This year? that's on Nolan, if this D can gel by mid season - they have a shot

Okay?

Sal Monella

Man among boys
Reaction score
Nah. If he's not going to sign a deal or the franchise tender he's simply not going to. He can hold out for the forseeable future either way. He and his agent, they're not going to let this alter their plans.
Or it's now possible something like this could happen.
GettyImages-1196559161-e1588474692410.jpg

Getty Images

Presumably, Andy Dalton becomes the backup to Dak Prescott in Dallas. But with Prescott not yet accepting a franchise tender with a value in excess of $31 million, it’s reasonable to ask the question: Would the Cowboys rescind Dak’s tender?

Until Prescott accepts the one-year offer, the Cowboys have the ability to yank it. And Dalton gives Dallas an intriguing bird in the hand in the event that the Cowboys can’t work something out with Prescott and potentially decide, depending on the whims of owner/G.M. Jerry Jones, to rescind the franchise tender, making Dalton the Dallas starter and saving well over $20 million in the process.

While that’s highly unlikely, stranger things have happened. And if coach Mike McCarthy, who has no history with Prescott, is comfortable with Dalton and if Jerry and Stephen Jones grow sufficiently weary of Dak’s demands, it’s impossible to completely and entirely rule out the possibility of a Texas native taking over America’s Team.

It that were to happen, what would happen with Dak? The starting jobs are set for most teams, and those that would consider Prescott (primarily, the Patriots and the Jaguars) don’t have the cap space to give him the kind of money he’d make in Dallas, if he were to accept the tender.

Beyond New England and Jacksonville, which other teams would even consider turning their plans for 2020 upside down and signing Dak to the kind of deal he’s demanding in Dallas? Would the Jets bench Sam Darnold? Would the Browns bump Baker Mayfield? Would the Raiders jettison Derek Carr? Would Washington pull the plug on Dwayne Haskins?

With the Cowboys to date intent on keeping Dak, the question of whether and to what extent another team would make a move for Prescott has yet to be raised. Budgets have been set and money has been spent and if the Cowboys wait until, say, July to make the move, Prescott would be very hard pressed to find a landing spot.

Again, it’s unlikely. But it’s a suddenly fascinating possibility, and it gives the Cowboys a little extra leverage at a time when they otherwise have none.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
They're trying to pay Dak, you stupid fuck. Dak's reps keep turning down lucrative offers.

He’s just salty that they gave his number to Lamb, effectively ending his chances at a comeback with Dallas.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He’s just salty that they gave his number to Lamb, effectively ending his chances at a comeback with Dallas.

Despite playing catch in the park with Dak, I never for one second believed there was any serious thought about bringing Dez back in any capacity. Gotta feeling Dez has burned through most of his money and this was strictly floated by Dez and his agent.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Despite playing catch in the park with Dak, I never for one second believed there was any serious thought about bringing Dez back in any capacity. Gotta feeling Dez has burned through most of his money and this was strictly floated by Dez and his agent.

I thought Dez was actually still doing pretty good financially from whatever he’s doing for Roc Nation.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I hear T Willy’s old number is still available if he still wants to come back

Talk about being humbled yet again

He gets released by Dallas

No team picks him up for a season, then he signs with the Saints only to blow out his Achilles and never play another snap in the NFL

Then this year he’s practicing with Dak in the off season, Dak says he’s still good enough to play again, he posts multiple “look at me” work out videos

Dez tweets out that he would love to come back to Dallas and take Witten’s old role

Then we draft a WR and give him #88

Dez just keeps getting slapped in the face repeatedly and yet he still wants to play for America’s Team

He’s like a battered gf who keeps getting beat down by the Cowboys and says “but they still love me and want me back”

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Just being in that shitshow Bungles organization probably held him back some.

Yep. Somehow not having Sanu and Eifert available as receiving options and renting 2nd tier running backs and changing O coordinators a couple times landed on Dalton. I suspect he'd somehow be better with our group of targets if we was pressed into service.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We just signed Andy Dalton to a one year deal

This is a master stroke by Jerry and such a massive FU to Dak
We've needed a competent back up for years and this guy, though unspectacular, can play the position
Love this signing and I would say virtually guarantees Dak plays on the franchise tag...no hurry to get a long term deal done now

Top Bottom