Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It was a compound fracture. Bone penetrating the skin. We couldn't see that through 10 layers of ankle tape.

That’s what I stated 40 posts earlier

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Here is a really good medical explanation of Dak’s injury. Unfortunately he didn’t give an estimated recovery time for this type of injury.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There was no such. You sure that is the video you meant to show?

Actually, no that is not the right video. Thanks for letting me know.

Let me try to find the correct one.

Hopefully I can find it again. It was a really good explanation by a doctor of exactly what happened to Dak’s ankle/lower leg during the play

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Actually, no that is not the right video. Thanks for letting me know.

Let me try to find the correct one.

Hopefully I can find it again. It was a really good explanation by a doctor of exactly what happened to Dak’s ankle/lower leg during the play
We know there's a compound fracture and a dislocation. Gonna be in a cast for six weeks at least, gonna be 6 weeks or more of healing and rehab. This is if there's no infection.

He's going on IR most probably.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I couldn’t find the video I originally tried to post. But I found this one. He talks about the different scenarios with the open wound being the worst case. Which as we know from reports that it is a compound fracture that it is the case.

He compares Dak’s injury to Alex Smith’s injury which obviously isn’t good.

But here is a doctor talking about the possibilities with this type of injury.

Jerseycowboysfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Not to move off the Dak injury , which was painful to watch since he’s been just about the only true performer on this team .
BUT , the Falcons have fired HC Dan Quinn . I think he would be an upgrade from Napping Nolan . What are all your thoughts ?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
BUT , the Falcons have fired HC Dan Quinn . I think he would be an upgrade from Napping Nolan .
I think you run what you brung. You can upgrade player talent via trade or fa signings but I really don't think you help matters making a change like that to the DC spot.

It's a feelgood thing though.

We invest only one third of our cap on the D side of the ball. Two thirds on offense. You can see from that where Jerry's priorities lie.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not to move off the Dak injury , which was painful to watch since he’s been just about the only true performer on this team .
BUT , the Falcons have fired HC Dan Quinn . I think he would be an upgrade from Napping Nolan . What are all your thoughts ?

Probably would be, he did a good job in Seattle as DC as I recall.

But they arnt going to bring him in now to run the defense, or install his scheme.

We have an extremely flawed scheme currently with an alarming lack of talent (some due to the injuries) so honestly, nobody is going to fix this now. We'll have to hope we control the football, eliminate our turnovers and somehow get some leads.

George Edwards is already here and had a good run in Minnesota as DC. If Zimmer hadn't waited so long to let him go McCarthy might have given him the DC spot instead of Nolan, but Edwards wasn't available then. I would think he might be the guy once they move on from Nolan.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What about when a QB runs out the pocket to avoid the sack or trying to by the receiver more time...? Or make throws on the run? EVERY QB has and will do this. Does that make those QBs a running QB? Does thatg make them just a susceptible to this type of injury? Ridiculous.

Laz, I'm not sure what we're debating about. Saying a running QB is more susceptible to injury is not really all that debatable. If I say that a QB who throws 50 times a game is statistically more apt to throw an INT than a QB who throws 20 times a game, that's pretty obvious.

Maybe you think I'm taking a swipe at Dak. I'm not. I feel sick to my stomach that this happened, regardless of how I felt about him as a QB. He was big, strong and tough and never missed a game. It's amazing that he hasn't been injured earlier seeing how he doesn't avoid contact to get the extra yard. He could have slid yesterday and come up short on 3rd down but he fought for the extra yard in a regular season game where we had the lead. It's just sickening and I hate to see it, especially at the most important position on the field.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And while we're at it, I'll add that I don't think Dalton is an upgrade over Dak. He might be a good back-up for a game or two, but I don;t think he's a guy to carry the team and I'm not so sure he can put up enough points on the board to overcome this defense.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again. I hate his agents. They gambled with this kid's financial future by overvaluing his potential worth. I really wish Dak would have taken the money for his sake.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, he got catastrophically bad advice from those clown agents of his.

It's sickening David. If he comes back I'd bet Jerry is going to sign him because Jerry gets attached to his players. If Dak hadn't lost all leverage before, he certainly has now but I'd bet Jerry is going to be more than generous.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yep. Gonna be surgery and a long rehab. Could be career ending.

Hopefully it’s not career ending. It will definitely alter his game though. I know it was a different injury but kind of reminds me of Rodney Peete (Achilles I believe). Coming out of USC and his first year in Detroit he was a very mobile QB. After his injury he was a statue. If he’s able to get back on the field Dak may see a similar change in his game. Is his arm talent alone good enough to lead a championship team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
wtf is wash out the wound?

With a compound fracture he likely has a big gaping wound on his ankle where the bone cane through. They literally had to go in and wash out the open wound. Clean out any dirt (or rubber pellets from the turf) out of the open wound.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The qbs who run today are bigger stronger guys. The rules prohibit banging them like in the past. It's just not a thing anymore to sweat running a qb who can run.

Same fucking injury Alex Smith suffered in the pocket. Joe Thiesmann, not the ankle but yeah, same basic injury. They run this risk every time they take a snap.

Being stupid and running them all the time yeah, that's less than responsible. It's why you see Mahomes running less and less. You pick your shots. It's a more than acceptable risk. Same damn injury happens to rbs.

Alex Smith is one brave or crazy MF. When he got in the game I winced every time he got sacked. And didn’t he get sacked like 7 times yesterday?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He might start next week if he heals quickly......it's a game day decision.

If he played for the Patriots it just be listed a lower body contusion and is day to day.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Russell Wilson. Dak. Mahomey. Several others. Running isn't ever "safe" but neither is 40 dropbacks. Romo got hurt on runs, never.

Actually he was scrambling when he broke his back that last time.

Top Bottom