Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
All joking aside I absolutely think that John Stephen will be on the team. I don’t know if he’ll play QB but he will definitely be on the team. I would not be surprised if they draft him a round or two early just to guarantee that he ends up on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say hopefully Jerry is dead by then so it wouldn’t happen

But even with Jerry dead it would still happen

So much for that idea

But I can always hope for a corona virus visit for Jerry anyway

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
fcf735fb617d0f7082e4e25f594fb14d.jpg

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Where would you place Dak on the list above?

Not salary wise, just overall

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

uhh... scot.. my man ........how tf am i supposed to rank dak's talent and plug him into a list that ranks salaries ??

you do realize that list has tom brady next to alex smith and joe flacco, right ?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Talent wise I would put Dak right there with Cousins, Ryan, Wentz and Goff.

Sal Monella

Man among boys
Reaction score
A long-term deal for Dak Prescott? Forget it. He hasn't earned one.

13851077.jpg

It looks like Dak Prescott and the Cowboys’ contractual dance is going to end with a compromise. All signs point to the Cowboys applying the exclusive franchise tag to their quarterback, which would pay him $31.6 million in 2020.

This is a win for Dallas, and a bullet dodged. A long-term contract for Prescott at this juncture would be a crap shoot. One extra year to figure out what he’s made of, even at a premium price, is a luxury option the Cowboys are right to use.

Prescott is a hard player to figure. He has plenty of doubters, but even they must admit that he has produced at a high level since entering the NFL in 2016. Prescott hasn’t missed a start, and his cumulative passer rating from 2016-2019 is 97, seventh best in the league among quarterbacks with at least 50 starts, per Pro Football Reference.

The only quarterbacks ahead of him are Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Kirk Cousins and Aaron Rodgers. All but Cousins have been to a Super Bowl, and all but Cousins and Ryan have won a Super Bowl. Prescott has been statistically elite since entering the league.

Who is most responsible for that success, Prescott or his elite supporting cast? There is still no definitive answer. He is just 27-21 as a starter after his 13-3 rookie campaign, and last season, despite posting career highs in completions (388), attempts (596), yards (4,902) and touchdown passes (30), the Cowboys went a mere 8-8, and lost a de facto division title game against Philadelphia in Week 16.

Prescott shouldering a greater burden might have led to some gaudy statistical performances, but it also contributed to the Cowboys’ worst season since their disastrous 4-12 mark in 2015. More troubling was the fact that he failed to perform in the biggest games.

In what proved to be a pivotal three-game losing streak against New England, Buffalo and Chicago, Prescott threw just three touchdowns and two interceptions, completed just 59.5 percent of his passes, and posted a passer rating of 81.6, well below the 2019 league average of 90.4. Big-money franchise quarterbacks are supposed to be trump cards for their teams, not anchors. With a chance to redeem himself against the Eagles, he had arguably his worst game of the season, going 25-for-44 with no touchdowns and a 74.5 passer rating.

When the Cowboys needed Prescott to be at his best, they got the opposite. Perhaps the most alarming thing about his 2019 performance was the fact that five of Prescott’s six best games came against the Giants (twice), Redskins (twice) and Lions, teams that finished the season ranked 30th, 27th and 26th in scoring defense, respectively. Beating up on bad opponents alone doesn’t make a quarterback great.

If Prescott had that kind of spotty, inconsistent season with Ezekiel Elliott (1,357 rushing yards, 12 touchdowns) and Amari Cooper (1,189 receiving yards, eight touchdowns) around, what will happen if the Cowboys can’t keep Cooper? That might be a reality, despite Dallas having $74 million in cap room.

Doling out a massive contract to a quarterback is a risk; any team that does it assumes that the quarterback will play well enough to not only validate the money they receive, but also cover up holes on the roster created as a result. There is no evidence that Prescott is capable of such feats. Dallas had Pro Football Focus’ fifth-best overall team grade last season, at 91.9. They were remarkably well-rounded in just about every facet. Yet, of the teams in the top-10 in overall grade, Dallas was the only one without a winning record.

The Chiefs, who ranked 12th in PFF's overall grade, are an object lesson in the importance of quarterback play. Despite having Patrick Mahomes on a rookie deal, and therefore having flexibility in other areas of the roster, the Chiefs were sub-par on defense, and not all that great on the offensive line. It didn’t matter. Mahomes’ individual greatness propelled them to a Super Bowl. He proved himself, and will get a mega-deal, having earned every penny and then some.

Prescott hasn’t done anything close to that, and that’s why putting the franchise tag on him makes perfect sense for the Cowboys.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
uhh... scot.. my man ........how tf am i supposed to rank dak's talent and plug him into a list that ranks salaries ??

you do realize that list has tom brady next to alex smith and joe flacco, right ?

Sorry

I should have been more clear. I was asking where would you rank him as a QB talent wise.

That was just a list of the most recent QB’s contracts that I found.

I was curious to see where everyone would place Dak on the list overall and to see what the QB’s that you guys considered better and worse than Dak.

The contract ranking list was more to show that the best QB’s in the league aren’t always the highest paid, and more importantly, visa versa

Silverstar

Spectator
Reaction score
Dak will definitely get tagged and hopefully sign it before the draft, so we can trade him for picks. He won't though cuz he wants to get paid like he's a top 5 QB. He thinks he did something great and so deserves it...pleeeze.. :rolleyes:

Even Kaepernick reached the SB....let that sink in..

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dak will definitely get tagged and hopefully sign it before the draft,
He won't sign the tender until after training camp at the earliest, if his agent is at all competent and IF Dak follows the advice.

Where are you going to find a trading partner anyway? Teams in position to draft a QB are out of consideration.

Silverstar

Spectator
Reaction score
He won't sign the tender until after training camp at the earliest, if his agent is at all competent and IF Dak follows the advice.

Where are you going to find a trading partner anyway? Teams in position to draft a QB are out of consideration.

Can't say right now until teams finish tagging on Monday, but I believe the Bears and Colts might be interested in Dak. If Tannehill doesn't get tagged, it's possible he could leave via FA and that would put the Titans in play IMO.

It's a waiting game right now....

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The team and MM knew this was coming. It's one of the reasons they kept Moore as OC because there's no way MM could implement the WCO if his QB doesn't participate in the off-season. Dak also won't sign the tender before the draft and he's just planning to show up sometime during camp, knowing the Garrett/Moore offense, and play out his tender.

Quite frankly, I draft a QB....maybe two (or pick up a second one as UFA) and start making plans for life without Dak. I also believe that MM's #1 priority is to evaluate Dak who is not doing himself any favors sitting out the off-season with a new HC at the helm. Dak will get paid but he's not going to get crazy money (40 million per year). If he leaves Dallas, he's going to leave a lot of money on the table in sponsorships that being the QB of America's Team has to offer, not to mention the state/city taxes that he'll pay elsewhere. Let him go to Miami or Tennessee or Lord knows where else.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I think the key for them is that they have to continue to draft well.
In order to continue to draft well, you have to draft well in the first place. Will McClay is the biggest overrated motherfucker in the world.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
In order to continue to draft well, you have to draft well in the first place. Will McClay is the biggest overrated motherfucker in the world.

That’s one opinion. I’m still of the belief that they had a coach that didn’t know what the hell he was doing. Fact is they have drafted several talented players since McClay has been here. Now they haven’t been coached to win but they are talented. The guys they’ve drafted may not be the best at their respective positions but they do have talent. The fact that so many of their draft picks are either up for big money contracts or have already received big money contracts shows that they have players that are coveted around the league. You don’t do that for players that suck. Now I don’t know if MM is the man that is going to lead these guys correctly but I for damn sure know that Garrett wasn’t.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks we are not going to have Dak as our QB this coming season and for at least 4-5 seasons to come is fucking high

Dak is the future QB for the Cowboys unless he gets some career ending injury or dies

That’s a fact jack!

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks we are not going to have Dak as our QB this coming season and for at least 4-5 seasons to come is fucking high

Dak is the future QB for the Cowboys unless he gets some career ending injury or dies

That’s a fact jack!

And he’s going to get $40M a year too.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

That’s a fact jack!
Not at all any kind of bold prediction there. JJ loves him, thinks he's Romo, gonna keep him and pay him handsomely. No great shock. Pretty sure all are in agreement.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
All the talk about trading Dak and drafting his replacement....

It’s all nonsense

None of that shit is going to happen

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

It’s all nonsense

Yep. Like Imperial Japan, all that's left is negotiating the terms of surrender. Let's review:

Zeke: no leverage because we only had untested, undersized Pollard waiting in the wings
Dak: no leverage because we only have Cooper Rush and no Top 10 pick to draft heir apparent
Cooper: no leverage because his agent knows we don't want to throw away a 1st round draft pick so quickly

Heckuva job, Jerry!

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

It’s all nonsense

You’re absolutely right, but a man can dream can’t he?

Top Bottom