nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I don't think you're correct. I believe the team that signs the franchise player loses the first round picks.
Appreciate the clarification so I would non-exclusive tag Dak and see if a team bites but 2 first rounders ain't going to happen...if it were just one then maybe.
I'm still of the thought that we cannot hamstring the franchise by paying this guy with the upper tier quarterbacks but my concern lies within the FO having a back up plan if Dak ain't it

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
my concern lies within the FO having a back up plan if Dak ain't it
THIS draft. Draft a QB in the first round, now. Regardless of signing Dak or not. Regardless of if they think Dak is "it" or not.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
THIS draft. Draft a QB in the first round, now. Regardless of signing Dak or not. Regardless of if they think Dak is "it" or not.
Realistically who would you go for based on our position?
Would you try to wheel and deal to move up?
I'm hearing a lot of noise on Jordan Love...

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Realistically who would you go for based on our position?
Thinking that you're getting a better QB in the 1st round in this draft, than we got in the 4th round of the 2016 draft, ain't a stretch. This is a large and quality class of quarterbacks. Not seen since the 83 draft. It's also a rich WR draft.

But for what we are and what we can risk? I say let's try to move up a little to get Tua. Barring moving up, if he falls to us we gotta take him regardless of what we have for "need" on the draft board. If we move up a bit and still miss him due to somebody else grabbing him anyway, you then take your highest rated one still there.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Thinking that you're getting a better QB in the 1st round in this draft, than we got in the 4th round of the 2016 draft, ain't a stretch. This is a large and quality class of quarterbacks. Not seen since the 83 draft. It's also a rich WR draft.

But for what we are and what we can risk? I say let's try to move up a little to get Tua. Barring moving up, if he falls to us we gotta take him regardless of what we have for "need" on the draft board. If we move up a bit and still miss him due to somebody else grabbing him anyway, you then take your highest rated one still there.
I also wouldn't mind going after Herbert.
This reminds of the Chiefs getting Mahomes when they had Alex Smith and Dak ain't even close to that yet. They had the foresight to not stand pat when something better presented itself.
Gottlieb thinks as you that we should make a play for Tua.
I wonder if a sign and trade deal could be worked based on where they think they need to go to get 1 of those QBs. This is assuming Miami or the LA Chargers think Dak is worth it.
Guys like Fromm and Eason should drop as well as Love.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

You’re going to have to get into the top 3 if you want Tua. That may still be a bit rich. I think even to get Herbert they will need to move into the top 10. They could easily move up to get Jordan Love and Jacob Eason might still be on the board. If Dak is franchised he would essentially then become the stop gap QB for 1 year while McCarthy works with the rookie, preparing him to take over in his second year. Or you could wait until the 2nd and draft Jake Fromm, or Jaylen Hurts in the 4th/5th round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Agreed. I still think they cave and give Dak what he wants. They’ve mentioned that they’d like to use the transition tag on Robert Quinn. They could then use the franchise tag on Cooper.

I agree. But if you step back and look at that, that's the path to paying the most possible money. If you're going to pay one of the three, pay the guy most likely asking for the least. Transition tag the guy wanting the most. Dak is not Patrick Mahomes, he would be the target. Franchise tag or pay the other. This isn't rocket science. This is stuff your average person can realize if you take away the human element. The Patriots are famous for this. You can't let emotions get in your way.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Dallas will stink for many years to come if Jerry loses his mind and pays Dak top dollar. This can't happen.
You can kiss any thoughts of reaching a Super Bowl if this happens.
Dak has no fucken' leverage I don't get it.
We essentially are bidding against ourselves with Dak and somehow this FO seems to always lose that bidding war!!!!
The Chiefs moved off Smith to get Mahomes and we should be in that same aggressive mindset.
As this goes on and the more I hear the more down I get on Dak and the less I think we should pay him the money he is supposedly asking for.

America's Team

Spectator
Reaction score
You can kiss any thoughts of reaching a Super Bowl if this happens.
Dak has no fucken' leverage I don't get it.
We essentially are bidding against ourselves with Dak and somehow this FO seems to always lose that bidding war!!!!
The Chiefs moved off Smith to get Mahomes and we should be in that same aggressive mindset.
As this goes on and the more I hear the more down I get on Dak and the less I think we should pay him the money he is supposedly asking for.

The comical aspect of this whole Mexican novela with Prescott and his agent is that Jerry will cave in to their ridiculous demands in the end. Sadly, the Brady option is but a pipe dream.

Jerry will cave in just like he did with Elliot. Pretend to play hard ball with the player for a while, just to give him what he wants when push comes to shove. Shrewd.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The comical aspect of this whole Mexican novela with Prescott and his agent is that Jerry will cave in to their ridiculous demands in the end. Sadly, the Brady option is but a pipe dream.

Jerry will cave in just like he did with Elliot. Pretend to play hard ball with the player for a while, just to give him what he wants when push comes to shove. Shrewd.

I’d really like to see what McCarthy can do with one of the QB’s coming out of this draft.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score

That's the precedent he is setting. And when he caves in here what do you think Cooper is going to want? Or Quinn for that matter? Throw in Cobb for good measure.

I’d really like to see what McCarthy can do with one of the QB’s coming out of this draft.

I would love to see it. Let Dak walk or put a transition tag on him and let some other team sign him for obscene amount. A QB coming out of this draft is the path of least resistance IMO. Dallas can sign their UFAs and won't have to do backflips to fit an average QB under the cap. I think I heard they are letting Byron walk so I guess Jerry is about 72 hours away from complete collapse.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That's the precedent he is setting. And when he caves in here what do you think Cooper is going to want? Or Quinn for that matter? Throw in Cobb for good measure.

I would love to see it. Let Dak walk or put a transition tag on him and let some other team sign him for obscene amount. A QB coming out of this draft is the path of least resistance IMO. Dallas can sign their UFAs and won't have to do backflips to fit an average QB under the cap. I think I heard they are letting Byron walk so I guess Jerry is about 72 hours away from complete collapse.

Yea they are letting Byron walk because he apparently wants close to $20 mil a season.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Thought (and just like Jerry this came to me in the shower)...
Place the tag on Dak and start talking to one of the teams picking high in this draft (Miami, Chargers etc...) and see if we can't convince them to take Dak and swap draft position. Or just tag and look to trade him.
I heard Nick Wright on The Herd say the same thing.
And if this a possibility start kicking the tires on Brady...

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Stephen looks even dumber, to be honest.

That is why I always say "The Jones'" because both of them aren't good. At least Jerry wants to make splashy moves that would at least make this mediocrity more interesting. Stephen is a believer in "culture" whatever the heck that means.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The Jones family would regain my respect if they let Dak walk or transition tagged him. Even after all of the years of stupidity. It would show they are not members of the new castrati.

Top Bottom