Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But actually that didn't answer your question. Pardon.

My answer is no to Burrows regardless. I smell BUST all over him. It's fitting that the Bungles have the first shot at him.

Nobody's gonna trade for a 5th year quarterback because they'll have to pay him a huge contract. It's a cap killer. The best we can do is sign him to the non-exclusive tag and take our chances with the open market. Somebody signs him to an offer sheet? Fail to match it and collect the two 1st round picks as compensation.

I say this because he refused our generous offer, opting instead to play out last season on his rookie deal, gambling that we would either win or at least appear in, the SB. He lost his fucking gamble, has NO skins on the wall and there HAS to be consequences for that.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I say this because he refused our generous offer, opting instead to play out last season on his rookie deal, gambling that we would either win or at least appear in, the SB. He lost his fucking gamble, has NO skins on the wall and there HAS to be consequences for that.

For once, I agree with ya on something Dooms.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Would all you Dak haters be willing to give up what it would take to trade up and take Burrows at #1 overall?

I’m not sure what exactly we would have to give up, but it would entail trading Dak, giving up at least next years 1st rounder, probably the following years as well along with 1 or two 2nd rounders (this is just a guess, I have no fucking clue what it would really take to move up to 1st overall pick. But needless to say it will be a hefty price tag)

Would you be willing to do it to get Burrows?

The cost would be too high. Burrows looks good but does anyone (except LSU Tigers fans) view him as an elite can’t miss prospect? Is he Elway? Is he Troy? If not you can justify giving up that big a haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Would all you Dak haters be willing to give up what it would take to trade up and take Burrows at #1 overall?

I’m not sure what exactly we would have to give up, but it would entail trading Dak, giving up at least next years 1st rounder, probably the following years as well along with 1 or two 2nd rounders (this is just a guess, I have no fucking clue what it would really take to move up to 1st overall pick. But needless to say it will be a hefty price tag)

I think he is an elite can't miss prospect, but 1.) I'm a LSU fan and 2.) Because Burrow is an elite can't miss prospect the Bengals aren't trading him.

Mike Brown is a lot like Jerry. He has his own way of thinking about personnel and the game of football.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My answer is no to Burrows regardless. I smell BUST all over him. It's fitting that the Bungles have the first shot at him.

I think so too. One good year and a national championship playing on an NFL level team in college. I'm not sure he has the arm to be a franchise QB in the NFL. If I'm trading up to #1, I want the full package of skills.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The Cowboys don't have the draft capital to trade up for Burrow. They couldn't do it if they wanted to.

The Cowboys need to move on from Dak. Pay the UFAs they need to pay and maybe be active in free agency. Then draft a QB. Dak is not elite and he's not even close to elite. If Dallas pays him then we'll be going into 2020 worse off in the hopes Dak gets better and the coaching staff are miracle workers. I think it's less risky trying to find a slightly above average QB in the draft and keeping the good players on this team than paying Dak.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The Cowboys don't have the draft capital to trade up for Burrow. They couldn't do it if they wanted to.

The Cowboys need to move on from Dak. Pay the UFAs they need to pay and maybe be active in free agency. Then draft a QB. Dak is not elite and he's not even close to elite. If Dallas pays him then we'll be going into 2020 worse off in the hopes Dak gets better and the coaching staff are miracle workers. I think it's less risky trying to find a slightly above average QB in the draft and keeping the good players on this team than paying Dak.

Who would you suggest they draft? It’s looking like Tua and Herbert will also go in the top 5 and be out of the Cowboys range. They will be in the range for a guy like Jake Fromm or Jaylen Hurtz (2nd or 3rd round).

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Who would you suggest they draft? It’s looking like Tua and Herbert will also go in the top 5 and be out of the Cowboys range. They will be in the range for a guy like Jake Fromm or Jaylen Hurtz (2nd or 3rd round).

Jordon Love or Jacob Eason. Forget Fromm. Dallas could trade up for Herbert, but do we really know he's that much better? Burrow or Tua, ok, but we really don't have the draft capital for them. I just don't think we're losing that much moving on from Dak. I think the conservative route is not to pay Dak. I think paying him is riskier.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jordon Love or Jacob Eason. Forget Fromm. Dallas could trade up for Herbert, but do we really know he's that much better? Burrow or Tua, ok, but we really don't have the draft capital for them. I just don't think we're losing that much moving on from Dak. I think the conservative route is not to pay Dak. I think paying him is riskier.

Yea Jordan Love and Eason should be there at 17 or at least close enough that it wouldn’t take much to trade up for them. I think both would have a higher ceiling than Dak. Though neither will likely be as good in their 1st year as Dak is now. The upside to going that route though is that you won’t be paying Love or Eason $40 mil a season.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I hope Dak doesn't take this advice but I'd bet his agents are filling his head with this BS. This team had to go out and trade a 1st round pick for Cooper to help Dak and then sign Zeke to big money. Add the resources spent on the OL and we still missed the playoffs.

If Dak wants to sit out the season, so be it. If he wants to hold out and get acclimated to the new coaching and any tweaks to the offensive system, so be it. The Cowboys will draft another QB next year. I'd also bet they draft a QB this year for MM to work with.
Could not agree with this more.
For me the bottom line is just so simple. He just needs way too much around him to succeed and even then success is not guaranteed.
I'm first and foremost a Cowboys fan so Dak can fuck off for all I care and I certainly don't want to hear "I deserve" or" he's worth this and that" just because the market says so. He has to be worth what we think he is worth to our franchise and I'm sorry it ain't $35M +/yr.
My caveat has always been if the FO has a back up plan to play hard ball with Dak...which I am just not sure it has b/c I certainly don't want to let Dak walk and then have nothing to show for it.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Maybe for Lawrence but not Burrows...

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
But actually that didn't answer your question. Pardon.

Nobody's gonna trade for a 5th year quarterback because they'll have to pay him a huge contract. It's a cap killer. The best we can do is sign him to the non-exclusive tag and take our chances with the open market. Somebody signs him to an offer sheet? Fail to match it and collect the two 1st round picks as compensation.

Just for clarity's sake I thought the non-exclusive tag carried only 1 first rd pick and like a 2nd or a 3rd? I thought the exclusive tag is where the 2 first rounders came from?
Regardless I'm in on the non-exclusive tag b/c I think some team might be ok giving up 1 first rounder for Mr. Prescott but can't see 2.
I'd be more inclined, if the above scenario happened, to go for Herbert.
And I agree he's being a little disingenuous here when he gambled last year. Stats don't get you paid, winning and losing does and he just didn't do enough of that last year.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
No... The exclusive tag means nobody can even make an offer. Non-exclusive means teams can make offers, we get to match or not, and if we don't and he signs elsewhere, we get two compensatory first round picks. The team he signs with loses no picks, the picks are merely given by the league based on a formula for position of the picks.

We would get one compensatory pick each for 2021 and 2022.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yea Jordan Love and Eason should be there at 17 or at least close enough that it wouldn’t take much to trade up for them. I think both would have a higher ceiling than Dak. Though neither will likely be as good in their 1st year as Dak is now. The upside to going that route though is that you won’t be paying Love or Eason $40 mil a season.

That is the upside and why I suggested it. But yeah, they won't be quite as good as Dak early on. But at least the Cowboys can keep a large portion of good players. Dallas could probably get Eason in the 2nd. Might have to trade up a few spots.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No... The exclusive tag means nobody can even make an offer. Non-exclusive means teams can make offers, we get to match or not, and if we don't and he signs elsewhere, we get two compensatory first round picks. The team he signs with loses no picks, the picks are merely given by the league based on a formula for position of the picks.

We would get one compensatory pick each for 2021 and 2022.

I don't think you're correct. I believe the team that signs the franchise player loses the first round picks.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
EDIT

I looked up and you're right. I stand corrected.

And the Cowboys would receive no compensation if they place the transition tag on a player and decide not to match correct?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think that's right. Cheaper though I think, to use the non-exclusive tag.

The 2 first round picks is why we never see a QB change teams if he's non-exclusiv tagged.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think that's right. Cheaper though I think, to use the non-exclusive tag.

The 2 first round picks is why we never see a QB change teams if he's non-exclusiv tagged.

Transition tag even cheaper. It's the average of the top ten at his position. I don't think any team is offering Dak what he is asking for. And if he's asking for top dollar, the Cowboys have nothing to lose by transition tagging him. They can either match top dollar or not. No team is giving the Cowboys two first round picks for Dak. So the non exclusive FT is useless.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Transition tag even cheaper. It's the average of the top ten at his position. I don't think any team is offering Dak what he is asking for. And if he's asking for top dollar, the Cowboys have nothing to lose by transition tagging him. They can either match top dollar or not. No team is giving the Cowboys two first round picks for Dak. So the non exclusive FT is useless.

Agreed. I still think they cave and give Dak what he wants. They’ve mentioned that they’d like to use the transition tag on Robert Quinn. They could then use the franchise tag on Cooper.

Top Bottom