dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
WORST FOOTBALL MAN EVER

Selected quotes from this nfl.com article, Jerry Jones does right by Tony Romo in releasing him - NFL.com

We should, however, commend Jones for doing the right thing, doing it on time and backing up his word.

Jones could have waited out a desperate team's pre-draft trade offer, he is allowing Romo to seek the treatment granted only to the league's most elite players.

He is rewarding Romo for bowing out gracefully during the team's rapid rise to an NFC East title.

"It is implied that we will work in the best way we can for the mutual interest of Tony and the Cowboys. That was just implied," Jones said last week, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "That's important here. Now we've got to abide by every league rule. We can't have agreements without it being within the boundaries of the NFL. But when you've got a situation like we got, we'll do the do-right rule. That's it. Very important. We do the do-right rule. We have that kind of relationship."

Jones, as Rapoport mentioned back in January, could have pulled a Sam Bradford and held onto Romo until the price was so unbelievably high that he couldn't say no. Injuries happen all the time in training camp. Best-laid plans in the draft get destroyed and some veterans show up to camp out of shape or on the decline. Romo would look pretty good to a playoff hopeful in August with no other starters in sight.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Almost a 100% lock, if Romo signs with Denver SNF opener on NBC will be Cowboys at Broncos.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I was busy all day, but were there any semi-credible rumors on what teams would have offered for him?

My sense has always been that there wasn't much of a market for him anyway.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I was busy all day, but were there any semi-credible rumors on what teams would have offered for him?

He may win at oil, but he probably never wins at poker:

jones_jerry_300_400x400.jpg

Reaction score
Got a bunch of Romo cock gobblers at the zone wishing for Romo to win the Super Bowl. Why the fuck would you want that if you really are a Cowboys fan? It would mean you cheered for a different team to win that year than the Cowboys. I can understand if your motivation is as a fuck you to Jerry, but these are self professed "better Cowboys fans than you" pulling this anti-fan shit. The irony... hopefully these same assholes will follow Romo to his new team.

Reaction score

This is why you say nothing on Romo at least until June. You say nothing at all, and let teams get desperate. Shit, this was an easy 3rd rounder to be had, but Jerry did not read "GM for Dummies".

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I think there several teams that were interested in trading for Romo (Jacksonville and Washington seemed serious) but Jerry pretty much let it be known at the Combine that Tony was getting released so don't bother offering anything.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Got a bunch of Romo cock gobblers at the zone wishing for Romo to win the Super Bowl. Why the fuck would you want that if you really are a Cowboys fan? It would mean you cheered for a different team to win that year than the Cowboys. I can understand if your motivation is as a fuck you to Jerry, but these are self professed "better Cowboys fans than you" pulling this anti-fan shit. The irony... hopefully these same assholes will follow Romo to his new team.

I hope the dude falls flat on his face. Throws 30 picks for the season and hope his team doesn't sniff the playoffs because of it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think there several teams that were interested in trading for Romo (Jacksonville and Washington seemed serious) but Jerry pretty much let it be known at the Combine that Tony was getting released so don't bother offering anything.

Fisher is out there saying Jones told Romo at the Super Bowl he'd be released and not traded.

Only one reason why.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets, though. I bet teams are interested, but not at that current contact price.

I really don't see why Romo would mind the Cowboys getting something back in trade for him, do you guys?

What I'm saying is, you guys act like Jerry was determined not to trade him, but I think he would have if it had worked out.

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
I pray for romo to go to a decent team like Denver or especially Houston and get a ring

God would that be sweet

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What I'm saying is, you guys act like Jerry was determined not to trade him, but I think he would have if it had worked out.

jeri gave a half assed effort in order to live up to his "do-right" to Tony bullshit

he should "do-right" by the team by keeping Romo on the roster and maintain that we intend to keep him and continue to do so until the last possible second to see who might get desperate or if a market develops. He said it himself recently that trade value is never worse than right before the draft. Give it some time man.

I can't say 100% that a team would have given up something for Romo but I sure as hell would liked to have found out and I think the cowboys have paid Romo plenty for that privilege.

TL;DR = Fuck this "do-right" to Tony bullshit

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets, though. I bet teams are interested, but not at that current contact price.

I really don't see why Romo would mind the Cowboys getting something back in trade for him, do you guys?

Completely disagree. Jerry looks at Romo like one of his sons. With Romo's salary the best teams wouldn't be able to trade for him. So the best way to help Romo go to a legit contender would be to release him. That way he can pick and choose which team he wants to play for. This is entirely about doing what's best for Romo.

What's going to be funny is if a team like Cleveland with a ton of cap space actually claims Romo off waivers. I know they won't but it would be hilarious!

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Fisher is out there saying Jones told Romo at the Super Bowl he'd be released and not traded.

Only one reason why.

Yeah and Romo's agent told 31 other GMs, thereby destroying any possible trade compensation because they knew all they had to do was wait out "the ole wildcatter".

Top Bottom