ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Completely disagree. Jerry looks at Romo like one of his sons. With Romo's salary the best teams wouldn't be able to trade for him. So the best way to help Romo go to a legit contender would be to release him. That way he can pick and choose which team he wants to play for. This is entirely about doing what's best for Romo.

What's going to be funny is if a team like Cleveland with a ton of cap space actually claims Romo off waivers. I know they won't but it would be hilarious!
I bet Romo would just threaten to retire if he were traded to a crap team. He had a lot of leverage here.

I don't remember all the details from back then, but how is this that different from Manning being released from the Colts? Why didn't they trade him?

Also, Romo isn't subject to waivers. He's about a decade or so past that.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I bet Romo would just threaten to retire if he were traded to a crap team. He had a lot of leverage here.

I don't remember all the details from back then, but how is this that different from Manning being released from the Colts? Why didn't they trade him?

Yea I thought about that after I posted it. Would still be hilarious though.

As for Manning, wasn't his contract up? I seem to remember he was a free agent when he left the Colts.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets, though. I bet teams are interested, but not at that current contact price.

I really don't see why Romo would mind the Cowboys getting something back in trade for him, do you guys?

What I'm saying is, you guys act like Jerry was determined not to trade him, but I think he would have if it had worked out.

It wasn't that Jerry was determined NOT to trade him. The problem is Jerry did what Romo wanted, cutting him loose for free.

They wanted to make things easy for Tony to go where he wanted, at the expense of doing nothing positive for the franchise.

it was a fucking stupid move.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I pray for romo to go to a decent team like Denver or especially Houston and get a ring

God would that be sweet

I pray for a rock to fall on your ignorant head.

Fuck Romo, and fuck all you crybabies shedding tears over him and acting like he's been some kind of victim over the years.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Who cares if he retired? It wouldn't make a hill of beans difference to us. He still wouldn't be here.

IIRC Manning was coming off a neck surgery that many thought was career ending, maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that. I also think we'd have to see the details of Manning's Colts contract at the time. he might have had more years and/or more guaranteed money due.

Romo's current deal was not horrendous for a team that would have traded for him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Some details on the Manning situation, not really any comparison to Romo's situation with us:

Irsay paused.

"It just wasn't solvable. It became apparent what had to be done ... then we had the very difficult press conference."

Irsay and the Colts would move on without Manning, their iconic quarterback who was due a $28 million option bonus and still dealing with the effects of four surgical procedures on his neck.

At one point, Irsay floated the possibility of Manning restructuring his contract. In lieu of the team paying the $28 million option bonus that would be part of a four-year, $63.6 million deal,

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
b938a2fa057f59bf8aba273e6439f9b1.jpg

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We just lost Leary to Denver. So it's becoming more and more probable that Romo will be going to Denver

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
ecc15dd2f797d2c9892537730aa8fa95.jpg

Maybe the front office read this thread. lol

I hope we get something for Romo and don't just let him walk. That would restore a little faith in them for me if they pull off any sort of trade instead of just flat out releasing him

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport
✔ ‎@RapSheet

Heard from a #Cowboys source on Tony Romo: “Was never being waived.” … Sounds like this may take a while.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Shit, are we going to have to take back all that bad stuff we said about Jerruh now?

2:21 PM ET

Chris Mortensen
NFL reporter

Tony Romo is now expected to be traded rather than released by the Dallas Cowboys with both the Denver Broncos and Houston Texans, according to league sources.

Details are not clear but the Cowboys now believe they have a trade that will work for Romo and the team, sources said.

The Broncos also have been talking to the New York Jets about a trade involving quarterback Trevor Siemian, sources said.

If the Jets cannot land Siemian, they have discussed adding Jay Cutler, who will be released by the Bears according to sources.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Back peddling at the Star. Too late, the damage is done. The only two teams that are interested will probably just wait it out.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Back peddling at the Star. Too late, the damage is done. The only two teams that are interested will probably just wait it out.

I didn't think of it like that but could definitely be true. Jerruh and Stevie hearing all the outcry over being so stupid and cutting him, now float it out there that a deals trying to be worked out. Then they can say "well we tried but nothing there"

Why's you have to rain on my fucking parade theoneandonly

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Honestly I just think that Houston realized that they had no shot at Romo if he were released. The only way to get Romo was to trade for him. The team now went back to Denver to give them a chance to beat Houston's offer.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I didn't think of it like that but could definitely be true. Jerruh and Stevie hearing all the outcry over being so stupid and cutting him, now float it out there that a deals trying to be worked out. Then they can say "well we tried but nothing there"

Just like, "We had to draft him there, our sources told us the Patriots were just about to take him."

Top Bottom