dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jason Garrett is dusting off his resume as we speak

Todd Haley, Kevin Sumlin, Mike Riley, Bart Andrus named head coaches in USFL​

5:11 PM ET

The USFL on Thursday announced the hiring of its first four head coaches -- Todd Haley, Kevin Sumlin, Mike Riley and Bart Andrus -- with play scheduled to start this spring.

The league will have eight teams, with 10-game regular-season schedules running from April 16 through mid-June, it said.

"Today is a monumental day for the new USFL as we hit the 100 days to kickoff mark," USFL president Brian Woods said in a statement. "To attract Mike Riley and Todd Haley, two former NFL head coaches, Bart Andrus, a former head coach in NFL Europe and CFL, plus an experienced college head coach in Kevin Sumlin, to the USFL, speaks to the quality of the league we're building.

"They all share our belief in high-quality spring football, and we're honored to have them lead their respective teams this year. We can't wait to hit the field!"

Haley, a former NFL head coach with the Kansas City Chiefs, will coach the Tampa Bay Bandits. He went 19-26 with the Chiefs from 2009 to 2011. He since has served as offensive coordinator with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Cleveland Browns, where he was fired in 2018.
Sumlin will return to Houston to coach the USFL's Gamblers. The former University of Houston coach also had stops at Texas A&M and Arizona.

Riley, the former head coach of the Chargers from 1999 to 2001, has been hired by the New Jersey Generals. Riley has had coaching stops at Oregon State and Nebraska in addition to professional jobs with the AAF and XFL.

Andrus, who coached in the CFL (Toronto), UFL (Omaha) and NFL Europe (Amsterdam), will lead the Philadelphia Stars.
The league said the remaining four head coaches -- for the Michigan Panthers, Pittsburgh Maulers, Birmingham Stallions and New Orleans Breakers -- would be announced at a later date.

The USFL was launched in 1983 but crumbled after three seasons because of out-of-control spending and an ill-conceived push led by Donald Trump, then-owner of the Generals, to compete directly against the NFL with a fall season.

In the end, the USFL's most enduring legacy was the $3 judgment it "won" in an antitrust suit against the NFL, a ruling that finished off the league in 1986 before it carried out the Trump-backed move from spring to fall.

The league begins April 16, with Fox Sports, which has a minority equity stake in the company that owns the new USFL, and NBC serving as the league's official broadcast partners.

A player selection meeting will be held Feb. 22-23, and training camps will open March 21. Each team will have a 38-player roster and a seven-member practice squad.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
The old USFL was watchable because they competed with the NFL for real stars. This incarnation won't. It'll be XFL-level quality.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The old USFL was watchable because they competed with the NFL for real stars. This incarnation won't. It'll be XFL-level quality.

I am hoping they get some quality players.

I'd love it if this is a non-woke/political league that focuses on being real football.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
No team owners. FOX Sports owns the league and all teams, all branding, logos. Spring football is something I always enjoyed and glad to see it coming back under a sustainable financial model.

InternetKing

The Elite :-P
Reaction score
Was announced during superbowl in an commercial that their first game to start usfl season in april 2023.

Kirk61

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The league will never fucking make it if they all teams keep playing in the two stadiums. You need a fan base to be successful, especially if the NFL is looking at any of the teams in the near future..

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The league will never fucking make it if they all teams keep playing in the two stadiums. You need a fan base to be successful, especially if the NFL is looking at any of the teams in the near future..
Two is 100 percent better than last year when all games were played in the same stadium.

They don't need a fan base, this is a network-owned TV show. Revenue is assured.

InternetKing

The Elite :-P
Reaction score
actually there is 4 stadiums including 1 NFL owned stadium this year according to this year schedule at https://www.theusfl.com/schedule.

1. Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium, Memphis, TN
2. Protective Stadium, Birmingham, AL
3. Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, Canton, OH (NFL Owned)
4. Ford Field, Detroit, MI

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I wish they'd resurrect the old USFL and attract quality players and coaches like that league did.

Add in non-wokeness/respect for the USA and you'd have something I'd watch every game I could of.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I wish they'd resurrect the old USFL and attract quality players and coaches like that league did.

Add in non-wokeness/respect for the USA and you'd have something I'd watch every game I could of.
Turpin was league MVP last season. There's some good players, it's good football. I enjoy watching it. Try it and see.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
The old USFL (whose teams were owned by millionaires and not a broadcasting network) was a serious threat to the NFL and poached big name players. This version is just a pale facsimile. No players on par with Kelly, Young, Flutie, Walker, Anthony Carter, Reggie White, etc. That'll be the biggest bummer.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The old USFL (whose teams were owned by millionaires and not a broadcasting network) was a serious threat to the NFL and poached big name players. This version is just a pale facsimile. No players on par with Kelly, Young, Flutie, Walker, Anthony Carter, Reggie White, etc. That'll be the biggest bummer.
Yeah it's just a network owned TV show. None of the players make even a million. They play for the love of the game and to put their game on tape. Might get discovered like Turpin did.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah it's just a network owned TV show. None of the players make even a million. They play for the love of the game and to put their game on tape. Might get discovered like Turpin did.
As much as I love football, I honestly need a break from it once the season ends, so I doubt I'll be watching much of it. If they had better players, I'd probably change my tune. I mean, there aren't enough good QBs in the NFL, let alone the USFL.

Top Bottom