yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Those odds must be old. Surely McCarthy's odds have gone way up.

If not, they should:

McCarthy has three things going for him that seem to be "qualifications" jeri looks for in a HC:

1. He's unemployed

2. He's got a whiff of desperation

3. He needs to be rescued from his couch

Come on down!

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don’t know enough about the college coaches that are being talked about. I don’t follow college ball so I have no frame of reference for any of the candidates coming out of the college ranks.

I’m still up in the air for the new HC and don’t even have a real preference at this point. I know who I don’t want (Marvin Lewis)

But other than that I’m not really strongly opposed, or in favor of any specific potential candidate

The one thing I do want is someone who will completely change the culture in the locker room. I want a strong HC that will hold the team accountable and not try to be their best friend. It’s time to bring back the Asthma Field and make sure everybody knows where it is and to fear it. The players are out of shape, take themselves out of games when they are needed the most, and have become physically and mentally soft

The new HC needs to instill fear in this team again a la Jimmy Johnson.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Its a combination of the following to varying degrees:

I dont trust college coaches to translate into the pros that have a HUGE recruiting advantage like OU does

OU's wins are inflated in value due to how weak the Big 12 conference is

When he's gone against the best teams, he's gotten smoked

He strikes me as too inexperienced for the job (only head coached 3 years) and that experience is limited to one side of the ball (I understand you can get a coach who has focused on offense/defense or special teams but I like one who has some experience over his career with all 3).

Having said this, if I'm being honest, I dont really know what the fuck I'm talking about when it comes to who the best HC candidates are out there. My analysis is at a surface level at best largely made up of stuff I'm regurgitating from elsewhere or simple observations like the above that any schmuck could make

PS.. regarding Riley, I fear his lack of experience will just cause jeri to run roughshod over him even more than usual. This team desperately needs a coach that can bring some discomfort to the entire organization

The Cowboys are like the fable** of the frog placed in a pot of water and slowly brought to boil who in the process have become so comfortable and complacent, they cant or won't jump out of the pot and instead slowly boil to death. This fuckers been boiling 25 years and counting......

** - The boiling frog is a fable describing a frog being slowly boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is put suddenly into boiling water, it will jump out, but if the frog is put in tepid water which is then brought to a boil slowly, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death. The story is often used as a metaphor for the inability or unwillingness of people to react to or be aware of sinister threats that arise gradually rather than suddenly.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Here is a quote from the official Cowboys press release

“Jason Garrett’s legacy with the Dallas Cowboys will always be that of someone who strived for greatness every day that he walked through the door”

They forgot to add “but failed to achieve it” at the end

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

“Jason Garrett’s legacy with the Dallas Cowboys will always be that of someone who strived for greatness every day that he walked through the door”

To attain greatness you strive for perfection. If you strive for greatness you land on... Mediocrity.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score

So most days he came in through the window?

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Now that it’s official it’s strangely less satisfying than I had imagined
Not to me; the only way I could be more satisfied would be if they crated him up and shipped him to Cleveland cod...

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dez Bryant‏ @DezBryant 3 hours ago

I don’t have no sympathy for coach Garrett losing his job The cowboys just became real contenders

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
According to a thread over at the zone, ole Jerry doing his best to fuck up the new HC hire by ramming Helen and most of the assistant OC down the new HC throat. If that happens I will only continue posting here because I enjoy the back and forth with you guys. I am beginning to hate a team I have rooted for over 50 years.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Not to me; the only way I could be more satisfied would be if they crated him up and shipped him to Cleveland cod...

That would be great

At least Cleveland will move on from a coach when it’s called for

Just so Jerry could see what you do with a coach that fails

You fire his ass!

Now

Not next year, not 5 years from now, not next fucking decade

You do it ASAP

You DO NOT let him sit around collecting a paycheck and wasting your teams talent

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
According to a thread over at the zone, ole Jerry doing his best to fuck up the new HC hire by ramming Helen and most of the assistant OC down the new HC throat. If that happens I will only continue posting here because I enjoy the back and forth with you guys. I am beginning to hate a team I have rooted for over 50 years.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
They quote something, or are they just reading what's written on the bathroom stall again?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

And apparently they called Jeff Fisher too, although the report says it wasn't about becoming HC.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You cant make this shit up, Jerry cites the accomplishment of "having them in position to play for the NFC East Title in the last game of the year in four other seasons"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

The Dallas Cowboys are intensely focused on head-coach candidates who have extensive NFL experience in the role and a track record of success, which is why former Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy and former Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis were interviewed this weekend, according to a source familiar with the search for Jason Garrett's replacement.

That profile would eliminate NFL coordinators with little or no head-coaching experience and any of the much-speculated college coaches, such as Oklahoma's Lincoln Riley, Baylor's Matt Rhule and Florida's Dan Mullen.

The Cowboys released a statement Sunday afternoon announcing that Garrett will not be offered an extension on his contract that expires Jan. 14. A handful of league executives, coaches and agents told ESPN that the statement was a sign that owner Jerry Jones is prepared to move quickly in his search for a new coach.

A team source did confirm the Cowboys had a recent telephone conversation with former NFL coach Jeff Fisher, who took the Tennessee Titans to Super Bowl XXXIV and whose regular-season record is 173-165-1, with a 5-6 playoff record. Fisher is highly regarded by Jones and team vice president Stephen Jones, but Fisher's three-year hiatus since being fired by the Los Angeles Rams in 2016 was a detriment to scheduling a formal interview.

McCarthy coached for 13 seasons with the Packers before he was fired in 2018. His career regular-season record is 125-77-2 with a 10-8 record in the playoffs, including a Super Bowl XLV championship in 2010 played at the Cowboys' AT&T Stadium.

Lewis was coach of the Bengals for 16 seasons and has a career record of 131-122-3, but was 0-7 in the playoffs. His stock as a head coach took a hit with the winless playoff record, but the Bengals went 2-14 in 2019 after parting ways with Lewis.

Lewis also was the defensive coordinator for the 2000 Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens.

Neither Jerry nor Stephen Jones have spoken publicly about the candidates they have interviewed.

Top Bottom