dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dude, stop with your stupid shit already. We completely agree that we're a poorly coached team. And I'm almost certain I was off the Garrett bandwagon long before you. I don't even want to go and search your posts but I'll assume you agreed with me almost from the get go that he was a poor coach.

I'll admit, I was one of those idiots that thought Garrett was going to do well here, especially after he took over the team midseason in 2010 and the team played way better. But after the 3 straight 8-8 seasons and then the debacle in 2015 I started to see the light.

In any event, I'm not defending Garrett. I simply asked for Scott to point me to a team with lesser talent that did well today because of coaching. It's not a hard question but you go off on a ****** tangent that has nothing to do with my comment/question you quoted.

I don't think we had much talent in 1990, yet Jimmy coached the team up to 7-9 and they likely make the playoffs if Aikman doesn't go down early in the 15th game vs Philly, I also don't think the 2003 team was overly talented, yet Parcells got them to 10-6 and into the playoffs.

That's just two Cowboy related examples of where coaching matters with lesser teams. You can find these out there on a year to year basis. Coaching matters, especially GOOD coaching or BAD coaching. We are the prime example of BAD coaching.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That juggernaut Bills offense that we couldn't stop or get off the field was just held to 209 yds total offense and Josh Allen was sacked 6 times. Josh Allen looked like John Elway in his prime against us, but was only 17/39 against the Ravens defense.

The minute Jason Garrett and this shitpile coaching staff are exterminated here, we're a better team.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Amazing stat of the week.

We have the 3rd best points differential in the conference at +67. Only the 49ers and Vikings have better point differentials than us in the NFC, and only 3 AFC teams (Baltimore, New England, KC) have a better number than we do. So we're 6th best in the league in point differntial, but 14 teams have a better record than us.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Coaching matters, especially GOOD coaching or BAD coaching. We are the prime example of BAD coaching.
Tomlin is winning with a third string QB and missing several other skill players. We don't even have a third string QB on the roster.

kwcoolk619

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Amazing stat of the week.

We have the 3rd best points differential in the conference at +67. Only the 49ers and Vikings have better point differentials than us in the NFC, and only 3 AFC teams (Baltimore, New England, KC) have a better number than we do. So we're 6th best in the league in point differntial, but 14 teams have a better record than us.

Mind Boggling.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Well we signed a new kicker, so start making your Super Bowl party plans.

This seems like the 4th & 1 call; "See, look at me making the team all better"

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well we signed a new kicker, so start making your Super Bowl party plans.

This seems like the 4th & 1 call; "See, look at me making the team all better"
If Forbath is "improving" the position, I'm the next OC. He couldn't be more inconsistent if you tried his shoelaces together. Don't let that breath out yet folks...

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll admit, I was one of those idiots that thought Garrett was going to do well here, especially after he took over the team midseason in 2010 and the team played way better. But after the 3 straight 8-8 seasons and then the debacle in 2015 I started to see the light.

I don't think we had much talent in 1990, yet Jimmy coached the team up to 7-9 and they likely make the playoffs if Aikman doesn't go down early in the 15th game vs Philly, I also don't think the 2003 team was overly talented, yet Parcells got them to 10-6 and into the playoffs.

That's just two Cowboy related examples of where coaching matters with lesser teams. You can find these out there on a year to year basis. Coaching matters, especially GOOD coaching or BAD coaching. We are the prime example of BAD coaching.

OK. I'll try this again for the third time. I'm simply asking for Scott (or you) to point me to a team with lesser talent that did well today because of coaching.

You pointed to Parcells and Jimmy. The 1990 team was coming off an awful season so 7 and 9 was a huge improvement. I remember that year watching Babe trying to throw 5 yard passes with his noodle arm. It's the reason they went out and got some quality at the back-up position. And Parcells went 10 and 6 without a franchise QB. We should be better if our QB is the "one".

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
how about this for a storybook ending to this season.

Cowboys finish 6-10 and win the division

then they get an upset win in the first round of the playoffs

in the second round, their opponent loses half their team in the first quarter due to the freakiest series of plays perhaps never seen before, enabling the cowboys to pull off one of the ugliest playoff wins in the history of the NFL by a score of 2-0

they get to the championship game, get blown out but score enough points in garbage time against the prevent D to only lose by 4

They finish the year 8-11

Garrett gets extended based on what jeri says is a "scrappy playoff performance" no one saw coming but him

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Just curious if any of you know why Jerry fired Jimmy Johnson? When he is great HC?

IMO, Jerry fired Jimmy ainec

We can equivocate all we want about how Jimmy was planning on leaving, Jimmy goaded jeri into firing him, Jimmy and jeri weren’t getting along, etc, etc, etc but the bottom line is jeri fired him and gave Jimmy 2 million to leave. The straw that broke Jeri’s back was the non-toast where jeri tried to toast a table of people jeri had fired (Bob Ackles, Brenda Bushnell, etc) that Jimmy was also at. Jeri being his typical tone deaf, self absorbed, insecure a-hole self got his panties in a bunch when they didn't smooch his ass and gave a tepid response to his drunken toast.

That was the final draw for jeri and he immediately starts talking to various people including reporters about firing Jimmy. He may have sobered up by the time he spoke to Jimmy face to face and offered some kind of bullshit untenable offer for Jimmy to remain coach, but that was bullshit because he had already called Switzer asking him if he wanted the job and to start considering it. Jeri wanted the satisfaction of firing Jimmy. Jeri was seething and wanted to wake Jimmy up in the middle of the night, jerk him out of bed and fire him on the spot. Jeri was bitter and wanted revenge.

I dont think Jimmy was going to hang around much longer but I believe he was definitely planning to return for an attempt at a 3-peat as evidenced by his comments to Deon during Super Bowl 28 and comments where he didn't think there was any way jeri would fire a 2 time Super Bowl winning QB:

No doubt Jimmy was on his last days in Dallas as he had grown sick and tired of Jeri's meddling and credit stealing:

jeri talking out of his ass here and couldn't abide by his own philosophy:

So what do I believe happened?

I believe there were growing tensions between the two and the end was drawing near since both were ready to be done with each other.

The "non-toast" was the spark that lit the fire that caused jeri to fire Jimmy (you can call it a nuanced firing with a caveat but it was still a firing imo)

I believe jeri was pissed and wanted the satisfaction of firing jimmy face to face and did in fact do so (I'm admittedly speculating since I wasn't in there). Jeri may have made Jimmy an offer that he knew Jimmy would never accept to try to soften the blow and give Jimmy a measure of face saving in the public eye. But in reality, jeri only did this to save his own face, not Jimmys, because jeri was so pissed he didn't give two shits about how Jimmy was perceived and realized he was the one that was going to take the PR hit.

So he paid Jimmy 2 million to leave (Jimmy had a ten year contract and you don't get 2 million when you break your contract and quit). Jimmy went along with it publicly in exchange for the 2 mill but also because I think Jimmy was hurt by the firing and it was a blow to his ego so it not being called a firing is more palatable even if deep down he knew he had just been fired.

Yes, he hadn't stayed long in all his venues but he was the one that got to make the choice to leave in all his previous stops. IIRC, he had never been fired so its a face saving measure to tell the world ex post facto he was going to quit anyway (I said something similar when my junior high girl friend broke up with me). Jimmy was hurt by it and I think it still stings him a little to this day.

So you can call it a "nuanced firing", a "firing with Asterisks" or just call it what it was: A firing triggered by a drunken owners feelings and pride being hurt over an employee who who didn't show him the respect he felt he deserved and because that employee would not also give him credit for things jeri didn't deserve.

That's my take based on living in Dallas while the shit went down, following it obsessively and reading several books on the issue with first hand accounts from different sources of the toast incident and subsequent statements by jeri saying he was going to fire Jimmy.

Book Sources:

#1: The Water Boy: From the Sidelines to the Owner's Box: Inside the CFL, the XFL, and the NFL by Bob Ackles

#2: King of The Cowboys: The Life & Times of Jerry Jones by Jim Dent

#3: Greatest Team Ever: The Dallas Cowboys Dynasty of the 1990’s by Ron St Angelo & Norm Hitzges

Screenshots from book #1:

PI3Cp3V.jpg

3xV6oOV.jpg

D9h8rdr.jpg

sFDmQRN.jpg

3Xpw1Ry.jpg

Screenshots from Book #2

E6FWAc2.jpg

9kWVsk6.jpg

ROWvlhE.jpg

raAUoLL.jpg

RmvnnSx.jpg

FBytZ1Y.jpg

cvr7Pwq.jpg

vDEinZ5.jpg

Z4ldqs2.jpg

wX6AaXI.jpg

The cliffs version is that jeri is an insecure idiot that is intimidated by coaches that cut into the limelight he covets

more detail than you probably care to read is in the above post I made here a while back

~Bon Appetit~

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
how about this for a storybook ending to this season.

Cowboys finish 6-10 and win the division

then they get an upset win in the first round of the playoffs

in the second round, their opponent loses half their team in the first quarter due to the freakiest series of plays perhaps never seen before, enabling the cowboys to pull off one of the ugliest playoff wins in the history of the NFL by a score of 2-0

they get to the championship game, get blown out but score enough points in garbage time against the prevent D to only lose by 4

They finish the year 8-11

Garrett gets extended based on what jeri says is a "scrappy playoff performance" no one saw coming but him

If that happens I hope Garrett takes a drive thru Dealey Plaza in a convertible to celebrate his contract extension

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The cliffs version is that jeri is an insecure idiot that is intimidated by coaches that cut into the limelight he covets

more detail than you probably care to read is in the above post I made here a while back

~Bon Appetit~
You quoted one of the best forum board posts of all time. Was happy to read it again.

Top Bottom