LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They arnt going to pick up his option.

In all likelihood the only reason he hasn't been cut yet is because they probably CANT cut him without giving him an injury settlement.

So they'll hang on to him until he is cleared to play (if he is) and then he'll be cut at the end of preseason.

If he is around to the end of pres-season, then doesn't that mean they did pick up his option? How does it work? You keep hearing these deadlines.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If he is around to the end of pres-season, then doesn't that mean they did pick up his option? How does it work? You keep hearing these deadlines.

The Cowboys don't plan to pick up CB Morris Claiborne's fifth-year option.

The fifth-year option would be worth the average of the top 10 NFL salaries at the position, which is expected to be more than $11 million. Claiborne obviously isn't worth anything near that as he's been a grossly ineffective disaster since going sixth overall in 2012 and is coming off a torn patellar tendon. Apr 13 - 10:59 AM

Source: Dallas Morning News

The Cowboys have until May 3 to exercise Morris Claiborne's fifth-year option.

It's going to be hard to judge Claiborne (torn patellar tendon) while he's out of commission. Jerry Jones said in January that Claiborne has done enough to warrant a fifth year, but that hasn't been evident on the field. Apr 19 - 9:02 AM

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Pretty much everything Jerry says they go completely against now.

Jerry made his comment in January by the way.

He isn't getting his 5th yr option picked up and IMO, probably wont be on the team on opening day unless he has to end up on PUP

Reaction score
If they don't pick up his 5th year option, he would still be under contract for the 4th, right? He would just be a UFA next offseason. I don't see the team giving up on him during his rookie deal. They desperately want him to work out here, they'll give him every opportunity to show what they think they saw in him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If they don't pick up his 5th year option, he would still be under contract for the 4th, right? He would just be a UFA next offseason. I don't see the team giving up on him during his rookie deal. They desperately want him to work out here, they'll give him every opportunity to show what they think they saw in him.

I don't think there's any doubt they'll give him a chance to make the team, he costs the same this yr whether he is here or not I believe.

But IMO the likelihood he'll get healthy enough AND play well enough to make it in training camp/preseason is pretty unlikely, and he'll be released or maybe traded for a conditional pick before the season starts.

But there's no way he is getting that 5th yr option right now.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Yea I agree... Jerry says a lot of shit he doesn't mean. We'd be stupid as fuck to put the 5th year option on Claiborne.

Not entirely sold on the idea that we'd cut him yet though. Guess it depends on if we drafted a CB pretty early. But more than likely I see Claiborne starting on the PUP list to buy the FO some time.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
They won't admit he was a bust, but rather blame it on injuries to save face.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

This is what I was getting at. So basically 5th year option or not, he still has this upcoming season as the last of his rookie contract. But according to you dbair, he probably will not make the 53-cut. Got it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry made the moronic statement about him doing enough to earn the 5th yr option (which SJ shot down days later) but Jerry also said on his air a couple times that Claiborne hadn't played anywhere near at the level they all thought he would.

One of them even used the term "disappointment"

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No chance he gets that option. Lesser chance he stays healthy all year and plays well enough to make anyone wish they had used it.

Reaction score
Jerry made the moronic statement about him doing enough to earn the 5th yr option (which SJ shot down days later) but Jerry also said on his air a couple times that Claiborne hadn't played anywhere near at the level they all thought he would.

One of them even used the term "disappointment"

I must have missed the disappointment statement. But I seem to recall Jason speaking highly of him not that long ago.

At any rate, we need to let him go like we let Jenkins go. Jenkins was a much much better player, not that that's saying much.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yup with that constant shit-eating grin like he was truly relishing the home team's defeat. And they kept cutting back to him just to torture us
Ha, the Musers were even calling him out about that this morning. One, for smiling when Harden had just hit a big shot late to almost sink the Mavs. And two, because he it's almost like he was programmed to grin when the camera light came on and he couldn't (or wouldn't) stop. They even described his grin as "creepy."

I'm so proud of them.

Reaction score
Ha, the Musers were even calling him out about that this morning. One, for smiling when Harden had just hit a big shot late to almost sink the Mavs. And two, because he it's almost like he was programmed to grin when the camera light came on and he couldn't (or wouldn't) stop. They even described his grin as "creepy."

I'm so proud of them.

Creepy is so spot-on. Robotic and douchey are also appropriate. He's the perfect Duke fan.

Top Bottom