ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We're very healthy and a lot of things are going right. There's always a tendency to think, "Oh well, if we don't win it this year we're set up to win it the next several years" but it's amazing how often that doesn't work out for reasons you don't see at the time.

So do we need to strike while the iron is hot like in 2014 or it's a bust? Or what level do you think we need to get to? Superbowl? NFC Champ game?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
For arguments sake lets suppose they make it to the SB. For the record I dont see NE as being invinceable at all. However do you really think given two weeks to prepare that this team would beat a NE coached Belicheat team? I certainly dont. That said the year would not be a bust at all IMO. In fact it would have far exceeded my expectations when training camp opened. Not winning a playoff game or two would leave a bit of a bitter taste though, kind of like a repeat of the 07 season.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
the defense isn't championship quality, but if we get HFA and lose in the first round like in 2007, then yes, it'll be a huge disappointment

Reaction score
In the summer, no one thought this team would be where it is. Expectations have grown out of the success sure... but I'm not going to say they have to win the SB or it's a failure. If they get to the NFC champ game, I'll be ecstatic.

If they do win it all though, it will probably feel like the 92 Super Bowl win. First one I was alive for and it wasn't as much of an expected thing.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I don't think it will be a bust. We have a very young offense across the board, and have at least the startings of a defense. If we lose in the first playoff game we play, I will absolutely be disappointed, but if we make it to the SB and lose, I will consider this year a huge step towards greater things to come.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
but if we make it to the SB and lose, I will consider this year a huge step towards greater things to come.

except SB losers don't fare well the next year

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't see how. Nobody thought this team was a 10 win team (let alone more) once Romo went down, and many were skeptical it was s 10 win potential team even WITH Romo.

We definitely need defensive help but this season is already a huge success based on where we are right now.

Will it be disappointing if we don't make a serious run (at least NFC Champ game)- sure. But a "bust"? Absolutely not.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The defense is suspect and Garrett is still Garrett. Those things tend to be more important in playoff games.

This team, the O Line, the philosophy of drafting Zeke, and the luck of Dak's immediate success, means we are in it for the next few years. They key will be what they do on defense the next couple of years.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
10 wins isn't a "bust" by any measure in the NFL. But people have different definitions of "successful" for the outcomes. This team has built up expectations for bigger and better things to come and not for just this season either. It's how we manage our own expectations which determines how disappointed we are regarding a given outcome. Someone mentioned the '92 run - although we could smell victory coming for that team I myself tempered the expectations because there's lots that can go wrong.

No matter what happens, this season I've been actually thrilled in anticipation of a coming game, rubbing hands together unconsciously, all that. That hasn't happened in 20 years at least. It's a joy once again, to be a Cowboys fan and I'm just enjoying the ride.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Not at all. We're playing on house money right now.
We're 10-1 with rookies in the offensive backfield and a defense built by the lowest bidder.
We could be one and done in the playoffs, or see NFL history made, either way it'll be fun to watch.

Reaction score
I would only say it's a bust if we follow it up like we did our 2014 campaign.

Or if we lose Linehan and Dak regresses.

Basically it's a bust if we can't build off of what we have going here.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dumbest thread ever.

You must have misunderstood it then.

At what level, after this kind of start and this kind of domination, would you be disappointed? First round exit, second, what?

And I do caution that while our window *should* stay open, you never know. Maybe when Witten finally gets hurt/too old, it hurts more than we realize. Maybe a big injury happens. Maybe attitudes change. You think these things won't happen, but often times they do.

Better strike while the iron is hot is all I'm saying.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
No kidding. When did Rynie turn asshole on us? We even defended him against that shitlib FuzzyDumbshit... maybe that's it. Rynie is still butthurt over the Donald.

I think Rynie's part of the "If you hate the Cowboys so much, why do you watch the games?" cabal.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Personally I do not think it is SB or bust for this team. If they get into the playoffs and the offense plays well but the defense blows the game (even in the 1st round) I think the season is still a success. The reason is because they found their franchise QB. Also everyone know the defense sucks. Realistically this team is still at very least a year or two away.

Top Bottom