NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I guess his Dad was the only guy they could get to do an interview for that piece.....color me unimpressed.

And what's so special about his background? It mirrors hundreds, if not thousands of guys who play college ball, go undrafted, and then find their way to the Arena League or Canada. The difference is that his dad was friends with and was employed by the owner of the Cowboys.

He grew up in a football family and has played at every level. And was gifted coaching in the NFL. The guy has been around football his entire life. Yet he has made bonehead decisions that any fan sitting on his couch knows immediately are the wrong decision. His background is special enough that he ought to know better on his gaffes and blunders because its just the basics.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He grew up in a football family and has played at every level. And was gifted coaching in the NFL. The guy has been around football his entire life. Yet he has made bonehead decisions that any fan sitting on his couch knows immediately are the wrong decision. His background is special enough that he ought to know better on his gaffes and blunders because its just the basics.

His background is not "special" comparatively speaking. I think he was a guy that was gifted most of what he's received in life by virtue of his father. I work in NJ and it's amazing how sports work. Who you know and who trains you is huge when you try and land a spot on a coveted prep school that then leads to playing at a major college program. I don't blame or begrudge them; I have 3 kids and I'd like to help them as much as I can.

But coaching is like anything else. You may know about the art, in theory, but without years of experience to hone your craft, all you have is theory. That's Garrett. Most of these accomplished coaches started as some low level assistant, most probably in college, and moved from team to team when a staff or HC would move on or get fired. It took some of them years before they ever got a HC gig for some minor college, USFL or Arena League team. Not Garrett. We thought he could overcome years of training and experience and just jump into the cockpit of a 747 and fly the thing after he went to flight school for a short period of time. It just doesn't happen that way.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
His background is not "special" comparatively speaking.

I wont argue that. My point is that the guy has been around football his entire life and had opportunities in football that make it inexcusable to make the gaffes and blunders he has made.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone fawned over Garrett when he visited Jimmy or Belichick. That's Garrett's shortcut way of trying to acquire some knowledge from these coaches that took them years of sweat equity to learn. I mean, if you look at Jimmy's bio, he was an assistant coach at Picayune High School in Mississippi for goodness sake. Belickick was an assistant coach for years and was even a WR coach and an assistant ST coach. Think about that.....one of the greatest defensive minds in the history of the NFL was an offensive assistant in his early years. And his Dad was a scout and coach as well, just like Garrett's, but Belichick didn't take any shortcuts.

I grew up working in the restaurant business as a kid. But even if I spent a few hours with Gordon Ramsey, I'd still never be a great chef. Garrett is a fraud.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wont argue that. My point is that the guy has been around football his entire life and had opportunities in football that make it inexcusable to make the gaffes and blunders he has made.

I agree Red. Clock management, calling plays and controlling the general flow of a game is not something someone learns just by playing. That's just my guess. Otherwise, all the guys that played would be good play callers and/or coaches themselves. Real experience is huge. Garrett may very well be a good coach one day but that's at the expense of this team, it's fans and players like Romo who had to suffer through Garrett's learning curve.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I agree Red. Clock management, calling plays and controlling the general flow of a game is not something someone learns just by playing. That's just my guess. Otherwise, all the guys that played would be good play callers and/or coaches themselves. Real experience is huge. Garrett may very well be a good coach one day but that's at the expense of this team, it's fans and players like Romo who had to suffer through Garrett's learning curve.

We've all had to suffer through it.

If this team wins anything of significance in the next few years it wont be because of Garrett. It will be because this team could win with any of 500 coaches. It will be because this team lucked into Zeke and Dak. And thats because of Garret's incompetence. Yet he'll be clapping and high fiving like he earned it standing on the sideline with that fake look of intensity while Linehan and Marinelli have done the actual coaching.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you're giving garrett too much credit when you call what he does high fiving. he always fucking misses. he's such a nerd.

can't knock him on clapping, tho. the man can clap.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Garrett: "We can still kick the FG what do you guys think?"
Dez "Naw lets win this one coach"
Dak: "I got this. I got this."

Before the 4th Down - YouTube

Says all people need to know about Ginger really.

You left off his first statement of "lets win the game here guys, lets go". A FG then doesn't win the game, the game continues.

CNN and MSNBC would be proud of your spinning

Last edited:
Reaction score
Huh. I learned something during Garrett's press conference today. I hadn't realized that Garrett spent formative years in Cleveland. He attended Browns games ... and today spoke fondly of the 1980 Browns team, nicknamed the Kardiac Kids, who were quarterbacked by Brian Sipe. Just a funny coincidence ... Romo used to remind me of Brian Sipe.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You left off his first statement of "lets win the game here guys, lets go". A FG then doesn't win the game, the game continues.
So why then does he talk about kicking the FG, after saying let's win? Because he is fucking stupid, thought all he needed was a FG. Dez then says "Naw coach, let's win the game!"

Your apologist efforts would make Hillary proud.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So why then does he talk about kicking the FG, after saying let's win? Because he is fucking stupid, thought all he needed was a FG. Dez then says "Naw coach, let's win the game!"

Your apologist efforts would make Hillary proud.

Pretty sure he knows the OT rules, especially since the refs announce them before the OT coin toss

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't doubt he knew the rules, but his first thought was still to kick the FG.

Which like I've said before could have worked also. Their offense hadn't done anything since the mid 3rd quarter.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Pretty sure he knows the OT rules
Would surprise me if he even knew we were in overtime, to tell you the truth. He's the most clueless educated-idiot asshat on the planet besides Obama.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Thursday night football

They are actually discussing Garrett as the mid season Coach of the Year. And they aren't joking

The cubs won the World Series

Either Trump or Clinton is about to be elected president in a few short days

The Raiders have a winning record

I don't know what kind of bizarro world this is nowadays but it's all about to end!

These are the end of times fellas

Top Bottom