Reaction score
First off, for those who don't know, I was a huge Garrett fan back in the day. Loved the transition to him in 2010. Loved how the team responded to him in that 2010 season.

Over the years he's shown a propensity for making bone head decisions, lacking situational awareness, coaching scared, etc. Truthfully I came to find him as a guy who looked the part, sounded the part, but couldn't actually perform the part. Not that it was entirely his fault. I mean, you're asking someone with virtually no coaching experience to come in and coach arguably the most notable franchise at the highest stage in the game. Whereas virtually every successful coach cut their teeth coming up the ranks, Garrett was handed his job after what, a year as a QB coach followed by three years as an OC?

As a result, we saw a number of seasons basically pissed away on what Jerry admitted to be pretty much Jason getting on the job training. Completely inexcusable, but when you're a fan of one of the most dysfunctional franchises, you come to expect nothing else.

I've not been secretive of my utter disdain for Garrett.

That said, he's coaching with some stones this year. Tonight's game was a prime example. That fake punt (although its not been confirmed that was a designed play) was incredible. And the decision to go for it on fourth down in overtime was gutsy as well.

I still don't like the coach. I still largely consider him a game day liability. And I dread the thought of Dak and Elliott potentially having their careers wasted under him, just as Romo/Ware/Witten etc had theirs. But I'll applaud him for the decisions he made tonight and hope he keeps it up. When you have this offensive line, this amazing running back, and this QB, you can take some chances. Especially when playing an incredibly inferior team like the Eagles.

Reaction score
There is still a huge problem with Garrett and two minute warnings. At least twice this season he has called three straight passes (all incomplete) late in the game. Both drives killed less than 20 seconds time, and the opponent did not have to use any time outs. We are lucky that this did not cost us both games. We were leading/tied in both situations. Garrett really needs to get a grip on this.

On the other hand, we have seen better discipline from the team post the Zeke temp benching for fumble-itis. We've seen better enthusiasm, and adjustments in game. The game plans and play calls are also much better than usual. Credit to the coaches for all of this.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
There is still a huge problem with Garrett and two minute warnings. At least twice this season he has called three straight passes (all incomplete) late in the game. Both drives killed less than 20 seconds time, and the opponent did not have to use any time outs. We are lucky that this did not cost us both games. We were leading/tied in both situations. Garrett really needs to get a grip on this.

On the other hand, we have seen better discipline from the team post the Zeke temp benching for fumble-itis. We've seen better enthusiasm, and adjustments in game. The game plans and play calls are also much better than usual. Credit to the coaches for all of this.
The 3 straight runs is on Linehan

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Garrett exposed his ass today (again). This team wins inspite of him, not because of him. Once again, horrific play calling to end the half (leading to a FG) and at the end of the game. Throw in going shotgun on 1st and goal from the 5 TWICE and throwing TWICE which led to an INT. We could have taken control of the game at that point (or at least the momentum).

Fuck Garrett. The D, as bad as it was at some points, came through when it needed to. Also, the refs helped Garrett at the end of regulation with a huge penalty that put the Eagles close to their goal line and then the 2 sacks sealed their fate deep in their territory.

One thing that drives me nuts is the lack of play action which is a cardinal sin when you have the #1 running game in the NFL. Maybe that's because Dak is a rookie who hasn't played under center very often. Either way, Garrett is a football moron and last night should have proven it but we won so it washes away all his sins.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 3 straight runs is on Linehan

Really? What does Garrett do exactly? He's a fan sitting on the sidelines with a headset. You'd think with all the commercial breaks he'd get with his OC and TELL him what he wants. Garrett's a clown.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Really? What does Garrett do exactly? He's a fan sitting on the sidelines with a headset. You'd think with all the commercial breaks he'd get with his OC and TELL him what he wants. Garrett's a clown.
I seriously don't know if he's allowed to, maybe by Jerry. There was yet another example in the first half when there was a time out on offense and Dak, Linehan, and I think Sanchez were in their little circle talking away and Garrett sort of sheepishly inches his way closer and closer to their huddle so he can act like he's involved but everyone ignores him. It's bizarre and funny.

Give him credit for going for that 4th down (though I think we win even if we kick it -- their offense hadn't done anything the last few series) but I think he has nothing to do with offense or defense.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
red zone playcalling was crap, especially before halftime. 10 point swing.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Also, on the 4th down that they went for, Garrett had that same "I'm not really in charge" stare going that he had in the draft war room a few years back.

Reaction score
Garrett's dead useless corpse is being propped up Weekend at Bernie's style by some good assistants and some very talented players.

The best step he has taken as a coach has been to stand out of the way like TE was saying.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That said, he's coaching with some stones this year.

He's always had stones, brass ones if you will, he finally has the team that allows him to be aggressive, just like Jimmy Johnson

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm still basking in the glow of this wonderful win. I re-played that last TD drive just a bit ago and got that same dear ole 90s blast of joy when Witten caught that pass, as I did last night when it happened live.

Look, Garrett stood idly by as pretty much a non participant during the 90s when he was a backup QB. That's something he does know how to do, just be a spectator. I am perfectly okay with it, if that's what's happening.

Angrymesscan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This is the first time I think he did something that contributed to this team winning as a coach.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Do we have an answer yet as to whether the fake punt was actually called or just a brilliant bit of improvisation by Chris Jones?

I've watched the play again and an Eagle player does burst through the line and look likely to block the punt. Wonder if Jones saw that and bailed.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Do we have an answer yet as to whether the fake punt was actually called or just a brilliant bit of improvisation by Chris Jones?

I've watched the play again and an Eagle player does burst through the line and look likely to block the punt. Wonder if Jones saw that and bailed.
Didn't notice that, but how incredible would it be if a missed block led to probably the game-saving play of the night?

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The way Heath was blocking down field I think it was by design. The only coach with bigger stones then Garrett right now has to be Del Rio

Top Bottom