Reaction score
Oh, no doubt. He's extremely sensitive to people's perception of him. That's why he goes out of his way to craft his media persona. That's why he always has a huge grin and a back slap for opposing coaches even after crushing losses. He desperately wants people to like him.

When you say someone else is involved, you think Jerry was literally telling him what to do during the game?

I think Jerry may have intervened and just given all play calls to Linehan. Negating Garretts input. Those goal line pass pass pass were what we have seen for years from Romo. They are part of Jason's "we liked the matchups" 4 WR philosophy. Romo would scramble. Dak got killed. Dak needs an actual play with targets and misdirection and play action. Did not help Dak to just have everyone line up and run straight out and just try to find someone open. Also wastes the natural talent he has to not have to pass the ball 9 feet to the endzone but just run the 9 feet himself.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the reason Garrett is taking more risks this year is the DFW media hammering him on how he's been the most conservative, risk-averse coach in the NFL. Bob Sturm has been hammering him for months and months -- years, really -- about it.

Kind of like in years past when we'd run it so little, the media would bash him for it, and the next week he'd overcompensate and we'd run it more than we had in years. It's no coincidence.

Yep. But I wouldn't expect otherwise. Most coaches have a "bag" of experiences they reach into. He has none. He's driven by what he reads and the criticisms he gets.

Also, the dolt was 4 and 12 last year. He needs to show a little something this year so you'll see him goinmg for it more on 4th.

Personnaly, I just can't stand him. It just sickens me that another QB may just save his job.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't understand how people can say Garrett is just a walk around coach and our offense is successful in spite of him, and then criticize Garrett for some dumbass playcalls, like the pass pass pass sequence at first and goal, or the empty backfield sets. You can't have it both ways.

Sure I can (have it both ways). I know the dolt doesn't call the plays, but that doesn't mean he can't walk over to his OC during a break and tell him what he wants. Or question his OC when he goes shotgun on 1st down at the 5 yard line. Or not burn any time off the clock and give the ball back to the opposing team with the game on the line in the final two minutes.

Those are strategical game time decisions that he should be involved in.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
[video=youtube;ITGJGMfakSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITGJGMfakSQ[/video]

player > coach

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
[video=youtube;ITGJGMfakSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITGJGMfakSQ[/video]

player > coach

How can a guy with his background be so bad with game management? If anything it should be his strong point.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
What the what?

Belichick just traded away one of his best defensive players because he doesn't want to deal with his contract demands next off-season. That takes balls.

I meant more playcall style. Del Rio went for 2 to win game in week 1. Lots of 4th down calls like 4th and 4 in ot on sunday

Reaction score
I believe that Garrett is now no worse than Barry Switzer was as Dallas head coach.

Reaction score
Sure I can (have it both ways). I know the dolt doesn't call the plays, but that doesn't mean he can't walk over to his OC during a break and tell him what he wants. Or question his OC when he goes shotgun on 1st down at the 5 yard line. Or not burn any time off the clock and give the ball back to the opposing team with the game on the line in the final two minutes.

Those are strategical game time decisions that he should be involved in.

I just don't see how Garrett who has been so consistently limited in type of plays, game management, game strategy, versatility in the offense, philosophy that Romo should pocketpass and not run (like Parcells thought he should) and showing very little interest in the element of surprise ("just beat the guy across from you") since arriving in 2007, suddenly dumps out his whole hidden bag of motion plays, read options, reverses, jet sweeps, Beasley targets (because Dak said he was "always open" but Dooley graciously expanded Beasley's route tree only two years ago?!?!), reverse stretch plays (from zone blocking), and whatever thing that was that Whitehead ran through the O-line into a skinny post???

So Jason has had those plays all along but now we are in the "done building" part of the process so we can finally install all these plays and strategies that he has held away from the team for all those years?

Nope. If anything. This is indicting. This shows what should have been done years ago.

Before the start of the 2015 season Linehan said that he only gave Romo suggestions based on the personnel.
Follow this here: Romo would get the play personnel and make the decisions and adjustments from there. Running plays aside Romo was running the same playbook from 2007. Linehan only gave suggestions.

What we had seen over the last 5 wins would be impossible to do based on suggestions. These are actual plays with precision choreography and deceit. Dallas has fooled the cameramen in games and lost track of where the ball was. That's screams the evil kryptonite word that haunts the Garrett philosophy: UNPREDICTABLE.

But because we have seen the nonsense for 9 years now, when the offense is in the Achilles heel of Garretts passing offense, the red zone, and the number 1 running back in the league is taken out of the backfield and even off the field - not even to be used as a decoy, then something is very very wrong but very very familiar. When your QB and RB each have out scored any other RB/QB combination in the league by running the ball in the red zone, why would Linehan pull them back and make them pass and not even hint that they may run.

He wouldn't because he hasn't for 5 straight games.

But Garrett would. Because he has for 9 straight years.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Give him credit for going for that 4th down (though I think we win even if we kick it -- their offense hadn't done anything the last few series) but I think he has nothing to do with offense or defense.

I heard that was mostly Dak talking Garrett into going for it on 4th down. He went to Garrett pleading with him to go for because he knew he could get the 1st.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Do we have an answer yet as to whether the fake punt was actually called or just a brilliant bit of improvisation by Chris Jones?

I've watched the play again and an Eagle player does burst through the line and look likely to block the punt. Wonder if Jones saw that and bailed.

From my understanding it was a called play. Garrett is it opposed to call a trick play, remember the on-side kick that Bailey failed to get 10 yards? The fake punt just worked to perfection. I heard an interview with Chris Jones where he mentioned he was a RB in high school.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I heard that was mostly Dak talking Garrett into going for it on 4th down. He went to Garrett pleading with him to go for because he knew he could get the 1st.

Where'd you this?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Where'd you this?

One of the Cowboys podcast. Can't remember which one or who exactly said it. They said that Dak ran up to Garrett and lobbied for him to go for it. Dak was pretty adamant that he could make it.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How can a guy with his background be so bad with game management? If anything it should be his strong point.

I guess his Dad was the only guy they could get to do an interview for that piece.....color me unimpressed.

And what's so special about his background? It mirrors hundreds, if not thousands of guys who play college ball, go undrafted, and then find their way to the Arena League or Canada. The difference is that his dad was friends with and was employed by the owner of the Cowboys.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
One of the Cowboys podcast. Can't remember which one or who exactly said it. They said that Dak ran up to Garrett and lobbied for him to go for it. Dak was pretty adamant that he could make it.

I heard that, too.

Really, with the way it's legal now for the fullback or anyone else to push you forward, and with a strong QB and one of the stronger centers in football, we should get half a yard every single time.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I heard that, too.

Really, with the way it's legal now for the fullback or anyone else to push you forward, and with a strong QB and one of the stronger centers in football, we should get half a yard every single time.

Agree, as long as Dak is in the game there should be no reason they shouldn't always use that play when they're within 1 yard.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

There's a video of this up at CZ, Garrett's miked up or something and he says something like "lets go for it , lets win the game guys"

Maybe someone can grab it and put it up.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There's a video of this up at CZ, Garrett's miked up or something and he says something like "lets go for it , lets win the game guys"

Maybe someone can grab it and put it up.
Garrett: "We can still kick the FG what do you guys think?"
Dez "Naw lets win this one coach"
Dak: "I got this. I got this."

Before the 4th Down - YouTube

Says all people need to know about Ginger really.

Top Bottom