Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The way Heath was blocking down field I think it was by design.
I'm pretty sure that was a product of scouting their tendencies, seeing on film their tendency to leave too early especially on the left side of the punt team. At first blush it might seem ballsy to call it there, so deep in your own side of the field but that might also be the only time this tendency was observed.

Something like that, when you're 100 percent sure it will work really doesn't take balls to do. I'm sure also there was a contingency in it, for Jones to actually go ahead and punt the ball if the play wasn't there. As 'risk averse' as Garrett says he is, I am sure of it.

It worked, and we're glad.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, it was a fake punt call according to reports. It was the only thing they did right on special teams all night, save Mr Bailey and his automatic greatness on field goals.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that was a product of scouting their tendencies, seeing on film their tendency to leave too early especially on the left side of the punt team. At first blush it might seem ballsy to call it there, so deep in your own side of the field but that might also be the only time this tendency was observed.

Something like that, when you're 100 percent sure it will work really doesn't take balls to do. I'm sure also there was a contingency in it, for Jones to actually go ahead and punt the ball if the play wasn't there. As 'risk averse' as Garrett says he is, I am sure of it.

It worked, and we're glad.

That's the way most teams prepare and make those decisions for those situations, you know that right?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That's the way most teams prepare and make those decisions for those situations, you know that right?
Obviously I do know that, or I wouldn't have posted it. Do you know that there might be people who don't know this?

The "pretty sure" part of my post means there's still some question if it was planned or not. You're reporting that it was. Would be cool to see a link to a report on it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Obviously I do know that, or I wouldn't have posted it. Do you know that there might be people who don't know this?

The "pretty sure" part of my post means there's still some question if it was planned or not. You're reporting that it was. Would be cool to see a link to a report on it.

I'll see if my guy can provide us a copy of the Eagles week gameplan, its probably in there some where

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Yes, it was a fake punt call according to reports. It was the only thing they did right on special teams all night, save Mr Bailey and his automatic greatness on field goals.
Found this from Todd Archer of ESPN. My inference of this text is that it was a punt/fake option whereby Jones decides at the last second whether to punt or run by reading certain keys of the Eagles' alignment and initial post snap movements;

On fourth down, punter Chris Jones ran 30 yards around left end for a first down. The Cowboys finished the drive with a 23-yard field goal to pull within 20-13 with 1:24 left in the quarter and stay within one possession of the Eagles.

"I didn’t even know we were trying a fake punt," tackle Tyron Smith said. "I was trying to catch my breath on the sideline and it was time to go back out on the field."

Jones said he can always call the play off if the opponent presents a certain look. He took a couple of steps like he was going to punt, then he followed lead blocker Jeff Heath down the sideline.

"We practice it occasionally," Jones said of the fake, "but we worked on it this week. When it’s called, you want to be able to do it. It’s been a long time since I ran with the ball."

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the reason Garrett is taking more risks this year is the DFW media hammering him on how he's been the most conservative, risk-averse coach in the NFL. Bob Sturm has been hammering him for months and months -- years, really -- about it.

Kind of like in years past when we'd run it so little, the media would bash him for it, and the next week he'd overcompensate and we'd run it more than we had in years. It's no coincidence.

Reaction score
I seriously don't know if he's allowed to, maybe by Jerry. There was yet another example in the first half when there was a time out on offense and Dak, Linehan, and I think Sanchez were in their little circle talking away and Garrett sort of sheepishly inches his way closer and closer to their huddle so he can act like he's involved but everyone ignores him. It's bizarre and funny.

Give him credit for going for that 4th down (though I think we win even if we kick it -- their offense hadn't done anything the last few series) but I think he has nothing to do with offense or defense.

If a coach has rigid and almost naive coaching behavior and ignorant decisions for 6 years and in the history of his offense only varies because of Sparano, Callahan, and Linehan then it's really hard to say any of last night is Jason. Something changed. At one point there was penalty that required Jason to make a decision and he went to his headset instead of making the call.

How can he just change from Jeckyl to Hyde in one night.

The way that 3/4s of the game looked like 2015 and did not at all look like the last 5 games seemed like Jason hijacked the game plan and when it was failing miserably, Jerry shut Jason down and gave Linehan the keys. How can all of the creative plays, the improbable surprise chances, the sudden return to Beasley and Witten etc happen in one quarter.

No way that was Garrett. The bungling for 3 quarters were very familiar but the end was someone with an actual strategy to win

Reaction score
I don't understand how people can say Garrett is just a walk around coach and our offense is successful in spite of him, and then criticize Garrett for some dumbass playcalls, like the pass pass pass sequence at first and goal, or the empty backfield sets. You can't have it both ways.

Truthfully, I give Linehan all credit for the offenses success. I think he's a better offensive mind than Garrett. I think he is more creative, I think he has a better feel, I think he has a ton more experience, and I think he knows how to get the most out of players. But he's not a perfect coach, and so he'll make bonehead decisions.

My worst fear is some team sees the success we've had with Prescott, decides they want to draft DeShaun Watson or one of the other young QB's who needs work in the upcoming draft, and hire Linehan to be their head coach.

If Garrett is ever put back in charge of this offense, this team is beyond fucked.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The way Heath was blocking down field I think it was by design. The only coach with bigger stones then Garrett right now has to be Del Rio

What the what?

Belichick just traded away one of his best defensive players because he doesn't want to deal with his contract demands next off-season. That takes balls.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't understand how people can say Garrett is just a walk around coach and our offense is successful in spite of him, and then criticize Garrett for some dumbass playcalls, like the pass pass pass sequence at first and goal, or the empty backfield sets. You can't have it both ways.

Truthfully, I give Linehan all credit for the offenses success. I think he's a better offensive mind than Garrett. I think he is more creative, I think he has a better feel, I think he has a ton more experience, and I think he knows how to get the most out of players. But he's not a perfect coach, and so he'll make bonehead decisions.

My worst fear is some team sees the success we've had with Prescott, decides they want to draft DeShaun Watson or one of the other young QB's who needs work in the upcoming draft, and hire Linehan to be their head coach.

If Garrett is ever put back in charge of this offense, this team is beyond fucked.

OC's call plays but the Head Coach makes critical decisions, like for example, goal line plays, going for it on 4th down, fake punts, etc. If Garrett wanted run plays before halftime, it would have happened. He may be deferring to Linehan there, which wouldn't surprise me at all,
but he could (and should) be weighing in on critical play calls.

Reaction score
OC's call plays but the Head Coach makes critical decisions, like for example, goal line plays, going for it on 4th down, fake punts, etc. If Garrett wanted run plays before halftime, it would have happened. He may be deferring to Linehan there, which wouldn't surprise me at all, but he could (and should) be weighing in on critical play calls.

I get that, but IDK... I just think Garrett is clueless and he looks clueless most of the time. Like the huddle on the sideline between Romo, Linehan, Sanchez, and Dak. I think Linehan has almost complete control of the offense. I don't think Garrett is telling Linehan to pass pass pass on the goalline. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if Garrett has virtually zero imput on playcalls during the game, save for critical third downs or that fourth down decision.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Agree. I think Jerry totally took the keys away and Jason is just a spectator now. I thought that vid Omega linked to a few weeks ago had Linehan basically saying he was totally running the offense. Not in so many words, of course, but that was the suggestion. He even gave a little lip service to "credit to Jason for being on board with this" or something like that.

I'll say it again, I watch a lot of football and no other coach do I see never speaking into his headset. Garrett just listens.

As far as those throws on the goalline, I suspect Dak just fell into the trap Romo has of "they've loaded the box so I'll check to a pass." They'll get him to stop that, especially with Zeke and this OL.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't think Garrett is telling Linehan to pass pass pass on the goalline

Oh, I don't think that either, but he is either coaching it or allowing it to happen.

My criticism there is that he should be insisting on run calls there. Three run plays would have either scored a TD or left the Eagles with almost no time left after the FG. Head Coach has to be in firm control there.

Reaction score
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the reason Garrett is taking more risks this year is the DFW media hammering him on how he's been the most conservative, risk-averse coach in the NFL. Bob Sturm has been hammering him for months and months -- years, really -- about it.

Kind of like in years past when we'd run it so little, the media would bash him for it, and the next week he'd overcompensate and we'd run it more than we had in years. It's no coincidence.

I read this after I wrote the other reaction. Jason is very sensitive to media opinions of him. When JJT criticized him on the radio and his column Jason gave him silence at the next Press Conference. But then what happened? How does a perennially barren tree sudden produce apples in one tiny portion of the fall?

I think there is someone else involved.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I read this after I wrote the other reaction. Jason is very sensitive to media opinions of him.
Oh, no doubt. He's extremely sensitive to people's perception of him. That's why he goes out of his way to craft his media persona. That's why he always has a huge grin and a back slap for opposing coaches even after crushing losses. He desperately wants people to like him.

When you say someone else is involved, you think Jerry was literally telling him what to do during the game?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I know you're being facetious here, but sheesh.

Come on!

You guys are supposed to let me have it! Rip the shit out of my comments!

I need some new material to take back to my buddy who has been texting me crap like I wrote above

Reaction score

I know it sounds odd. But then again how many head coaches will not allow their "offensive system" that has not won anything significant at all, to change. Linehan and Callahan both say that it's "Jason's system". But the only successes that the team has had was when his passing system was de-emphasized by running backs who carried the team. His system is a liability without a prominent run-heavy playcalling. Which is essentially saying that in 2007, 2009 and 2014 as long as Dallas minimized Garretts pass plays, the team has the best chance to win.

But Mid, I think you even said it last night: this looks like 2015. But the 5 games prior did not. How do you explain except that the Garrett pass system that was just destroying the teams chances to win was dialed back and replaced by whoever (Linehan) was generating wins in the last 5 games? And if you think it's not possible, Dallas is probably the only team in the NFL where the owner and president are "training" the head coach on how to coach; makes personnel decisions of who is playing on game day and has called down to the sideline to influence game strategy. This is also the head coach who admitted "well we learned a lot last year" (2015 where the owner expected to see some "coaching up" and nothing happened except the same pass play calls that we have seen for 5 years before and then a running game that was attempt to recover its dominant rhythm from just months before.

Odd? Yes very odd. But not out of the question that part of the game was the bad playbook and the end of the game was the decision to abandon that playbook.

There was terrible coaching last night. There were parts of the game that the special teams were outmatched and looked unprepared. Some of the players lacked discipline and seemed like they had no hope in the their efforts at all on offense.

But something changed and someone with immediate remediation changed the game.

I have trouble believing that Garrett who doesn't allow change and has not changed would suddenly defy his own philosophy in one quarter of a game. We will see next game. Or at least in the Pittsburgh game.

My conspiracy theory is that there was a second shooter from the grassy knoll.

Top Bottom