NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
tonyraye said:
Also there is consideration to giving up the #4 this year for Elliot, the same arguement can be made for Elliott's durability

An argument of which I've made several times on this message board already. I like Elliot in a trade down scenario with a pick added, I don't like just Elliot at 4 over other prospects that will be available to us.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If those draft picks are are all acquired from the #4 this year plus next years #1 are then traded for him, then I have no problem with it. As I see us having a much higher first round pick next year than we currently have. Also there is consideration to giving up the #4 this year for Elliot, the same arguement can be made for Elliott's durability.

You expect them to have a much higher pick next year than the #4 pick? Then why trade anything? You're talking about us possibly having the #1 overall pick next year (highly doubtful), if that happens there is no need to trade.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
To me he can catches beautifully out of the backfield, his pass blocking is good and he hits the hole hard, I just worry that his vision and top speed are not what you would need at this level. When you watch him run, you see a great college back, when you watch Fournette run, you see a man among boys.

You are not gambling everything if you are trading this years pick for a higher quality pick in next years draft. Every draft is not the same, so this years best RB is not going to be as good as next years best RB etc. I am talking about making the most of the #4 pick in a stronger draft class for RB next year. Fournette would dominate behind this line and Romo will not be around for another 3-4 years.

His top speed is not what you need at the NFL level? I'm not sure which videos you've seen of him but I've seen several that show him running away from guys. His speed looks fine to me. His vision and acceleration are actually two of his best assets. I think if you put him behind this line you have an All Pro RB and potential HOF. Durability has also never been an issue with him.

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
You expect them to have a much higher pick next year than the #4 pick? Then why trade anything? You're talking about us possibly having the #1 overall pick next year (highly doubtful), if that happens there is no need to trade.

When I say higher, I mean numerically higher ie #28 etc

His top speed is not what you need at the NFL level? I'm not sure which videos you've seen of him but I've seen several that show him running away from guys. His speed looks fine to me. His vision and acceleration are actually two of his best assets. I think if you put him behind this line you have an All Pro RB and potential HOF. Durability has also never been an issue with him.

Honestly, I don't see that. Many players can outrun players in college and be considered too slow in the NFL. I could be totally wrong as Emmitt Smith was considered slow and was amazing. There are just a lot of plays where I have watched him not fall forward, get knocked down after what I consider slight contact or get caught from behind. I love the way he hits the hole, but if he is just not that impressive to me. I see Fournette and I see a once in a generation player that would be worth waiting another year for and some sacrifice. He's extremely fast, powerful, hits the hole hard, has vision and amazing quick moves that make people miss, plus he seems like a humble team player who is very coachable.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
When I say higher, I mean numerically higher ie #28 etc

Honestly, I don't see that. Many players can outrun players in college and be considered too slow in the NFL. I could be totally wrong as Emmitt Smith was considered slow and was amazing. There are just a lot of plays where I have watched him not fall forward, get knocked down after what I consider slight contact or get caught from behind. I love the way he hits the hole, but if he is just not that impressive to me. I see Fournette and I see a once in a generation player that would be worth waiting another year for and some sacrifice. He's extremely fast, powerful, hits the hole hard, has vision and amazing quick moves that make people miss, plus he seems like a humble team player who is very coachable.

Based on the videos I've seen Fournette is clearly a great runner. Even though he's a great runner though you can't mortgage your future for him. Look at all the teams that have giving as many picks as the Rams and Eagles did this year, how many of those trades have worked out? Almost none. If you have a chance at a player that could be great now you have to take him (if that's how the Cowboys view Elliott). Is he a bit of a reach at 4? Probably but if he ends up being an All Pro the pick will be worth it.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The one problem with mortgaging our present and future for him is that we will have to take care of our QB problem either next year or the following year. So we will be be giving up our immediate future to get him and will remove our picks that we would have to leverage to get our QB of the future leaving us in a downward spiral of QB hell without the ability to move up to draft a decent one

Sent from my two thumbs using Tapatalk

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
The one problem with mortgaging our present and future for him is that we will have to take care of our QB problem either next year or the following year. So we will be be giving up our immediate future to get him and will remove our picks that we would have to leverage to get our QB of the future leaving us in a downward spiral of QB hell without the ability to move up to draft a decent one

Our QB problem is not going to be solved in the draft for maybe 2 more years due to Romo's contract structure and the rookies contract structure. Any QB drafted in the 2nd and later rounds will be a FA in 4 years and Romo's contract, the cap hit will be huge unless released in his 4th year. They will probably draft a QB in 2 years time, let him sit 2 years and then hope that he is the heir apparent and release Romo. They might draft someone in the 3rd round or later this year (probably later) but they won't use a first or second on the position. Just my view of the situation.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Our QB problem is not going to be solved in the draft for maybe 2 more years due to Romo's contract structure and the rookies contract structure. Any QB drafted in the 2nd and later rounds will be a FA in 4 years and Romo's contract, the cap hit will be huge unless released in his 4th year. They will probably draft a QB in 2 years time, let him sit 2 years and then hope that he is the heir apparent and release Romo. They might draft someone in the 3rd round or later this year (probably later) but they won't use a first or second on the position. Just my view of the situation.

That's under the crazy ass Jerry Jones assumption that Romo is going to last 4 more years! Only Jerry truly believes he will last four more years

There is ZERO chance of that happening. He may make it to the end of this season but I doubt he plays all 16 games. There is virtually no way he will be healthy enough to play all games the following season

So we need to get back to reality where we actually need a replacement now and not 4 years from now

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

What you're saying about his contract is not what I've heard everybody on The Fan that's close to the team and every beat writer say. According to all of them Romo's contract is escapable after two years. He has a huge cap his this coming year and the next year but the third year his cap hit drops to $9 mil which is very manageable. The fact that they haven't even talked about restructuring Romo's contract lets me know they don't actually believe Romo has 4-5 more years.

That's why it's extremely important to find a future QB this year or next year. This year would have been the best chance but two teams gave up the farm to get ahead of us so it will likely have to be next year later in the 1st. But next year is a must. I'm not prepared to go another decade of Kellen Moore's and Chutch's.

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
What you're saying about his contract is not what I've heard everybody on The Fan that's close to the team and every beat writer say. According to all of them Romo's contract is escapable after two years. He has a huge cap his this coming year and the next year but the third year his cap hit drops to $9 mil which is very manageable. The fact that they haven't even talked about restructuring Romo's contract lets me know they don't actually believe Romo has 4-5 more years.

That's why it's extremely important to find a future QB this year or next year. This year would have been the best chance but two teams gave up the farm to get ahead of us so it will likely have to be next year later in the 1st. But next year is a must. I'm not prepared to go another decade of Kellen Moore's and Chutch's.

This is Romo's current contract, I have never heard anything about options or escape clauses

Tony Romo Contract, Salary Cap Details & Breakdowns | Spotrac

This clearly shows a dead cap hit of 8.9 million in 2018!

That's under the crazy ass Jerry Jones assumption that Romo is going to last 4 more years! Only Jerry truly believes he will last four more years

There is ZERO chance of that happening. He may make it to the end of this season but I doubt he plays all 16 games. There is virtually no way he will be healthy enough to play all games the following season

So we need to get back to reality where we actually need a replacement now and not 4 years from now

I agree with that except I am saying that Romo's contract restricts any MAJOR QB move in the next year or two due to the dead cap of 31 million in 2016 19 million in 2017 and 9 million in 2018, if he is released. IF he retires it is a different situation. A rookie QB will have 4 years with the team before he becomes a FA, so in effect you will have a 1st round draft pick sitting for 3 years behind Romo before you can see what he can do by handing him the keys, not ideal. I would think a 2 year sit and watch approach would be ideal.

Reaction score
Romo needs a strong running game this year. Without it, there is a chance that he doesn't even make it to next year.

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Romo needs a strong running game this year. Without it, there is a chance that he doesn't even make it to next year.

It wasn't just the running game that faltered. Remember we lost the O-Line coach Bill Callahan and that had a major effect on the O-Lines efficiency. I also blame the running backs, especially Joseph Randle, who I thought would have a massive year if he could stop stealing underwear, but that was only a small issue for him. He looked really good behind this line though, sadly his off field issues were too much for him. But essentially I agree, we do need a strong running game, we got Morris and I just think we are really really reaching at #4 with Elliott.

Maybe Denver will sell the farm to come to #4 and take Lynch, they will be horrible next year without a quality or rookie QB and should have a decent draft pick in the first round.

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
Drafting Elliot at 4 may be the worst possible direction this team can go. Granted there are no absolute studs in this draft, but taking a RB at 4 when RB's are a dime a dozen is ludicrous. McFadden who is average at best ran for 1000 yards without the threat of Romo and Dez most of the season. We saw what an average RB did behind this line when Murray was here and the team was healthy. Lets not waste the 4th overall pick on a position that isn't a need or that important

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
This is Romo's current contract, I have never heard anything about options or escape clauses

Tony Romo Contract, Salary Cap Details & Breakdowns | Spotrac

This clearly shows a dead cap hit of 8.9 million in 2018!

I agree with that except I am saying that Romo's contract restricts any MAJOR QB move in the next year or two due to the dead cap of 31 million in 2016 19 million in 2017 and 9 million in 2018, if he is released. IF he retires it is a different situation. A rookie QB will have 4 years with the team before he becomes a FA, so in effect you will have a 1st round draft pick sitting for 3 years behind Romo before you can see what he can do by handing him the keys, not ideal. I would think a 2 year sit and watch approach would be ideal.

You realize we're talking about the same year right (2018). As I stated he has a huge cap this coming season (2016), and the following season (2017) however the year after that he has a cap hit around $9 mil (2018) which is a manageable cap hit if they have to escape his contract (by cutting him). If they waited until June of that year they could even split that $9 mil cap hit over two seasons. It's not exactly an escape clause it's just a manageable cap hit. Health wise that's also about how much time Romo realistically has (2 years).

The fact that they have not restructured Romo's contract tells me they are preparing to move on from Romo in 2 years. Either because of his health or play or age. The question I have for you is can this defense be built into a championship caliber defense by next off season? If not then why not take a QB and extend that window beyond 2017? Give yourself more time to build that defense.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Depends on when he is drafted.

If he's drafted in the 1st round the team would have a 5th year option. If Romo is done after two years the team would still have the rookie QB for 3 years under his rookie contract.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It wasn't just the running game that faltered. Remember we lost the O-Line coach Bill Callahan and that had a major effect on the O-Lines efficiency. I also blame the running backs, especially Joseph Randle, who I thought would have a massive year if he could stop stealing underwear, but that was only a small issue for him. He looked really good behind this line though, sadly his off field issues were too much for him. But essentially I agree, we do need a strong running game, we got Morris and I just think we are really really reaching at #4 with Elliott.

Maybe Denver will sell the farm to come to #4 and take Lynch, they will be horrible next year without a quality or rookie QB and should have a decent draft pick in the first round.

Also factor in that McFadden was not a good fit for a zone blocking scheme. They had to change their blocking scheme to fit McFadden's running style. The OL wasn't as dominant because of that.

Reaction score
Also factor in that McFadden was not a good fit for a zone blocking scheme. They had to change their blocking scheme to fit McFadden's running style. The OL wasn't as dominant because of that.
That bugs me more than anything that Garrett says or does. He has tremendous potential and some outlier abilities on the team right now but he won't change the system to fit the skill and talent he has. DMC is extraordinary. He may not be 4.30/40 anymore but him losing a step to 4.38 is still faster than anything we have. It was very obvious that quick pitches and runs to the outside worked well with DMC but Garrett just kept calling plays that appeared to be designed for Jerome Bettis or Mike Alstott. Then after one of the most impractical and useless (meaning it did not create the play action threat at the LOS nor produce first downs or TDs) 1000+ yard season a running back has ever had, the truth comes out that Garrett didn't have the right plays for DMC. The Patriots, Steelers, and Seahawks routinely change their offense based on their players. But Garrett essentially blamed his talented running back for not running with his talent but he should conform to the offense. So they go out and get Morris who does run the zone blocking plays well. But they still have DMC, and Escobar, and Hanna, and whoever they draft or acquire this year with speed who will sit the bench falling into the category that Garrett calls "being trained for another team".

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That bugs me more than anything that Garrett says or does. He has tremendous potential and some outlier abilities on the team right now but he won't change the system to fit the skill and talent he has. DMC is extraordinary. He may not be 4.30/40 anymore but him losing a step to 4.38 is still faster than anything we have. It was very obvious that quick pitches and runs to the outside worked well with DMC but Garrett just kept calling plays that appeared to be designed for Jerome Bettis or Mike Alstott. Then after one of the most impractical and useless (meaning it did not create the play action threat at the LOS nor produce first downs or TDs) 1000+ yard season a running back has ever had, the truth comes out that Garrett didn't have the right plays for DMC. The Patriots, Steelers, and Seahawks routinely change their offense based on their players. But Garrett essentially blamed his talented running back for not running with his talent but he should conform to the offense. So they go out and get Morris who does run the zone blocking plays well. But they still have DMC, and Escobar, and Hanna, and whoever they draft or acquire this year with speed who will sit the bench falling into the category that Garrett calls "being trained for another team".

I've said before and I'll say it again, I have doubts that McFadden makes the team this year. He'll be 29 years old, didn't fit the zone blocking scheme that best suits the OL, and had a freak injury free year. If they draft a RB (in any round) and if McFadden suffers another injury in camp (hamstring) he'll be the odd man out.

Top Bottom