VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
I think there are some legitimate nits to pick on offensive play calling...

But I'm just thinking back on how bad the playcalling was when Garrett was doing it. We saw a marked improvement in ONE YEAR. Give Linehan another offseason to get some things ironed out, and bring back the same offense, and we should get better.

If Garrett was going to resign -- and it was an inevitability after Jerry didn't fire him after 2012 or 2013 and we went 12-4 -- then this is the best case scenario. Bring back the coordinators who can overcome his obvious deficiencies.

I really don't have that much of a problem with the coaching staff staying in place. This year was a nice surprise, the wrinkles and FIVE FUCKING WIDE not withstanding, I'd rather they not have to retool their game plan for a new set of coaches.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I really don't have that much of a problem with the coaching staff staying in place. This year was a nice surprise, the wrinkles and FIVE FUCKING WIDE not withstanding, I'd rather they not have to retool their game plan for a new set of coaches.
Yep I'm okay with re-signing everyone too.

Reaction score
The players love Ginger bc they know he's a puppet. They certainly did respond well to Linehan and Marinelli. If we retain them and bring back a couple of our defensive starters then we should improve. Would be nice if Ginger and Carr were both abducted by aliens but I'll remain somewhat optimistic for now.

Reaction score
I don't get the problem with five wide... I mean besides the obvious if they overuse it. But Murray was the league's leading rusher and they were VERY successful out of five wide, so hard for me to complain. If they were overusing it, then you would expect one of the aspects wouldn't be successful.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They could be more creative and even you have bemoaned the lack of at least using Escobar.

I do think they could do more with him. He adds an element now down the middle that we don't have. he doesn't have blazing speed but he is a long strider that seems to easily get separation, and he has tremendous hands and long arms. I really hope we utilize him more next year.

That said, there's only one football to go around.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd be happy with 40 percent success. Not asking much.

A field goal isn't a success, by the way.

we were 5th in the league in scoring...we were barely more than a pt per game behind the team that led the league in scoring, we punted the 2nd fewest times in the league

is that not success?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
we were 5th in the league in scoring...we were barely more than a pt per game behind the team that led the league in scoring, we punted the 2nd fewest times in the league

is that not success?
I just want the 240s. 40 percent TD rate and 40 points.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't know what % constitutes overuse of it. I don't see us using it any more or less than other teams...but the numbers out of that formation this year are pretty overwhelming

I'm re-watching the Detroit game. 2nd and 10, five wide: Romo goes down. :lol
Led to a FG.

I don't know the percentages, I'm watching game by game and commenting on these situations. The games were close, yeah I can credit the opposition, but 2 nd down is almost automatically 5 wide for these guys and I think they left a lot of points on the field by not driving smarter.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I do think they could do more with him. He adds an element now down the middle that we don't have. he doesn't have blazing speed but he is a long strider that seems to easily get separation, and he has tremendous hands and long arms. I really hope we utilize him more next year.

That said, there's only one football to go around.

Right. So you agree that it shouldn't be do or die with the receivers in the passing game, which it largely is. Until we get into a hole because of it and then resort to using Beasley short and Witten in the middle of the field to salvage something.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
We can't just use the running game to try and open up the deep half of the field with the receivers.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm re-watching the Detroit game. 2nd and 10, five wide: Romo goes down. :lol
Led to a FG.

I don't know the percentages, I'm watching game by game and commenting on these situations. The games were close, yeah I can credit the opposition, but 2 nd down is almost automatically 5 wide for these guys and I think they left a lot of points on the field by not driving smarter.

Most 2nd downs that I recall they ran the ball a lot unless they failed to gain much on first down

and when they went shotgun on 2nd down, almost all those plays had a RB in the backfield with Romo

I don't know what the final numbers ended up being, but Jaworski charted 60 plays out of it in 13 games, that's 4 1/2 per game basically. I definitely don't see that as overuse of the formation, especially considering the success they had with it

As for the Detroit game, they were one of the top defenses in the league and they played a superb 1st half, right up to the Williams long TD. We never punted again.

02:15 2 00:38 DAL 26 3 74 Touchdown
00:03 2 00:03 DAL 0 0 0 End of Half
14:49 3 02:05 DET 19 4 -4 Missed FG
08:41 3 05:47 DAL 20 10 80 Touchdown
01:16 3 04:00 DAL 31 7 36 Field Goal
08:10 4 05:38 DAL 41 11 59 Touchdown
00:54 4 00:54 DET 47 2 -2 End of Game

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Right. So you agree that it shouldn't be do or die with the receivers in the passing game, which it largely is. Until we get into a hole because of it and then resort to using Beasley short and Witten in the middle of the field to salvage something.

I don't know know about "do or die with the receivers". Dez led the team in catches, but Witten was 2nd and Murray was 3rd. Williams and Beasley had the same number of receptions. Escobar only had 9 catches but 4 were TDS.

I do think there some things they could do from some formations with Escobar that could be pretty productive and hope we see him utilized more next yr, but its hard to complain much about the overall distribution of the passing receptions and definitely cant complain about the balance of run/pass on offense now.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Most 2nd downs that I recall they ran the ball a lot unless they failed to gain much on first down

and when they went shotgun on 2nd down, almost all those plays had a RB in the backfield with Romo

I don't know what the final numbers ended up being, but Jaworski charted 60 plays out of it in 13 games, that's 4 1/2 per game basically. I definitely don't see that as overuse of the formation, especially considering the success they had with it

As for the Detroit game, they were one of the top defenses in the league and they played a superb 1st half, right up to the Williams long TD. We never punted again.

02:15 2 00:38 DAL 26 3 74 Touchdown
00:03 2 00:03 DAL 0 0 0 End of Half
14:49 3 02:05 DET 19 4 -4 Missed FG
08:41 3 05:47 DAL 20 10 80 Touchdown
01:16 3 04:00 DAL 31 7 36 Field Goal
08:10 4 05:38 DAL 41 11 59 Touchdown
00:54 4 00:54 DET 47 2 -2 End of Game

The Detroit game is clearer in my mind (and I just watched some of it) than the previous games and I swear they didn't run on second down until the 2nd half. If they did, they did it once, regardless of distance. And the overall point is, a lot of yardage and points are left on the field and 2 games decided by referee intervention.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The highest scoring offense this season was Green Bay with 30.4 PPG. You want 40 per game? Yeah, that's not unreasonable at all.
I know right?

I was razzin dbair.

But hey, you gotta aim for the stars to get to the moon.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Let Callahan go to whomever wants him. Pollock will do just fine as OL coach.

Thin out the assistant coaches some, too many cooks in there. Kiffin should just go.

We do need to keep Linehan, Marinelli? Meh? either way is ok with me

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't know know about "do or die with the receivers". Dez led the team in catches, but Witten was 2nd and Murray was 3rd. Williams and Beasley had the same number of receptions. Escobar only had 9 catches but 4 were TDS.

I do think there some things they could do from some formations with Escobar that could be pretty productive and hope we see him utilized more next yr, but its hard to complain much about the overall distribution of the passing receptions and definitely cant complain about the balance of run/pass on offense now.

The whole offense has been based on leaning on Murray to set the tempo, drawing the defense in and then send Dez and Terrance deep.

Only when we are in a bind on 3rd downs do we go to Witten and Beasley.

If we mixed in Beasley and Witten a bit more early that would make us even more explosive and hard to deal with offensively. Sprinkle in Escobar more. Put Dez in motion much more.

Top Bottom