dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
FWIW, Broaddus was on the radio and said he heard the only guy the Cowboys have any bit of interest in is 400lb 40+ yr Jason Peters, because last yr he played for a bargain contract and the other guys will cost more.

Peters was very bad last yr as fyi.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I wanna see 'em keep that Hendershot.
I think he's probably made the team. I kind of thought he would make it even before last night, but I think he sealed it with his game yesterday.

I also read Mckeon is a candidate to hit IR, so that probably seals it.

Ferguson is the real deal though. Guy is going to be a really good TE.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Thoughts from last night:

1) They interviewed Big Nate during the game and he was extremely critical of the backup OL and clearly doesn't think much of Josh Ball. In fact the only one he offered a positive comment on was Farniok. That said, I agreed with Dodger's other post in that Josh Ball was not THAT bad last night, and he actually did some good things. I don't think he could be the every week starter right now, but he isn't cut-worthy either. I also liked what we saw from Waletzko, it's really too bad he missed most of camp and the other two preseason games because his feet are pretty impressive. Definitely has upside. McGovern actually didn't look bad in the snaps he got at C either, which surprised me considering the limited work he got there. I think they played McGovern there because they are trying to see if they can keep just 7 OL active on game day. Obviously if he starts at LG then Farniok is the backup C/G, but if someone else starts at LT (leaving Tyler Smith at LG) then maybe they want to really see if McGovern can handle the C spot too, meaning they could save an active roster spot on game day.

2) I really think this is shaping up to be a pretty strong draft class, we got help in virtually every area and most of the picks have had some strong moments during camp and preseason. I think they may have hit the jackpot with Sam Williams. Dude has serious, serious physical talent and the effort he gives play after play is really impressive. I bet Seattle held him at least a half dozen times last night including a couple times he made the play anyway. Love Jake Ferguson too, dude has every down TE type ability already, and in another season or so he could be really, really good. Already the best blocking TE on the team and his receiving skills are excellent. Deron Bland has real ability too and no doubt in another season or two has potential #2 or #3 CB skill for sure. Got victimized one one TD pass (where he actually had great coverage) but otherwise has a really good game again. There's probably 3 rookie free agents making this team too.

3) Everyone laughed about bringing Maher back here as potential PK, and while its only been preseason I haven't seen anything that makes me think he cant be at least adequate. Ultimately he may have a short leash but his PATs have all been solid, and he's made all his FG's except for the two 60+ yarders he tried. He was good for New Orleans last yr (missing only once under 50) so he may have figured some things out. We obviously have a good ST coach as well, and that can only help him too.

4) Won't be popular opinion and I am stunned to be saying this, but if I had to choose one of those three backup QB's to keep behind Prescott it would be DeNucci. His release is so much quicker than the other two and I think he is more accurate now too. He's also got some real athletic ability. I bet they won't do it, but to me he has been better than the other two by quite a bit.

5) Really tough decision on the #3 RB if they only keep 3 total (which I think is likely). Dowdle is a nice backup player and he didn't play last night,, indicating he has probably made the team. But there is definitely something to Malik Davis and if they try to sneak him on PS somebody is likely to poach him IMO.

6) Another opinion probably won't be popular, but I am not worried about WR, even if they make zero moves outside the team. I think Jalen Tolbert is going to be good and between him, Lamb, the other backups and what we have at TE, they can get by until Gallup is ready.

7) Israel MuKuamu is going to be a good player in this league. Definite starter potential there.

I think a couple moves are coming, though both Jones' tried hard to downplay it and say the answer at LT is on our roster, some of that I think is gamesmanship to help them in potential negotiations. I think most teams would believe we need help at LT (and maybe OL in general) but at least they are trying to give the appearance that they are not truly desperate. Tyler Smith might end up starting week 1 at LT, but that doesn't mean he'd be the starter the following week there.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1) They interviewed Big Nate during the game and he was extremely critical of the backup OL and clearly doesn't think much of Josh Ball. In fact the only one he offered a positive comment on was Farniok. That said, I agreed with Dodger's other post in that Josh Ball was not THAT bad last night, and he actually did some good things. I don't think he could be the every week starter right now, but he isn't cut-worthy either.

When I look at Josh Ball, I think he's a guy they could really develop and can give you some quality snaps on the OL. I don't always get that feeling and I never had it with, say, Connor Williams and some others. But nate is a former OL and I'm just a hack sitting on the couch watching the games. But I still like Josh Ball.

Deron Bland has real ability too and no doubt in another season or two has potential #2 or #3 CB skill for sure. Got victimized one one TD pass (where he actually had great coverage) but otherwise has a really good game again. There's probably 3 rookie free agents making this team too.

I liked this kid too. I mentioned in another post that it drives me nuts when DB's don't turn for the ball. But this kid isn't afraid to hit and it wouldn't surprise me if he made the team.

Won't be popular opinion and I am stunned to be saying this, but if I had to choose one of those three backup QB's to keep behind Prescott it would be DeNucci.

Completely agree and DiNucci is vastly improved. He's not anywhere near a starter, but if he can continue to improve he can make a decent back-up. I'd really like to see our QB's go down the field more. Grier tried but he just doesn't have the arm.

But there is definitely something to Malik Davis and if they try to sneak him on PS somebody is likely to poach him IMO.

Wouldn't surprise me if some team picks him up if the Cowboys don't keep him. I like his playing style and could be another decent back up that can give you some quality carries.

Good post dbair..

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Several guys released yesterday, in addition to above named DiNucci and Big Kat Bryant they also released OT Amon Simon, WR TJ Vasher and C/G James Empey

Top Bottom