Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
While there might be some similarities, Quinn's defensive style/sets are a little different than Marinelli's were.
As is the overall philospohy. Marinelli and guys of his ilk are the "bend but don't break" types, not fully committed to an attack posture, preferring to kind of ride along between the 20s and hope we don't give up any big plays, but then get aggressive in either red zone. You can't turn it off and on. You're either an attacking D or you're not. He wants to pick and choose and pretend OCs can't predict it. They can and do. They know he's gonna get aggressive inside his own 20 and they know he's gonna be blitzing when you're inside yours.

Quinn is from the attack at all times school. He will use the single-high safety look and he will disguise his coverages. But his front seven are attacking no matter where the ball is on the field. His DL is attacking upfield at the snap, disrupting the offense and his LBs are playing downhill and will be lined up closer to the LoS. His D will give up a big play here and there though. But once the unit gets tight and he has the personnel he wants, that will be fewer and further between. Quinn is much closer to the Jimmy Johnson philosophy.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
quinn has coaching pedigree but we'll see . i had high hopes for mccarthy too . as a fan of the team i know what comes next

1610546395605.png

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
joe whitt jr went into the zoom interview dressed up like the johnnie walker guy and jerry was AROUSED

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This kind of stuff is so lame at this point.

Moore is here because 1) McCarthy wants him here and 2) Moore himself wants to be here.

I honestly don't get any of the criticism of the dude either, what did you people reasonably expect with basically the entire OL wiped out, the starting TE gone week one and the starting QB missing over 2/3 of the season?
I'm not saying he may not work out but I just don't want Jerry to pigeon hole himself into thinking that Moore is the next Sean Payton and therefore not have some balls and get uncomfortable...
Whether McCarthy wants him there is debatable but yes I do think he wants to be there though the rumors that he had accepted the Boise State head coaching position may lend some doubt to that
And I'm not saying I wasn't unhappy with the offense he ran and am ok with him being back but how often have we seen these so called up and coming coordinators suck at the head coaching gig?
Meyer wanted the job, Jerry should have given it to him...waiting on Neo when success may be staring you in the face can be dangerous

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
OK, so you support the idea that the HC shouldn't hire people he wants to work with.

Maybe you think it's a good idea for Jerry to try and assemble the head coaches staff for him, because you know, that'w worked so well post-Jimmy.
Not necessarily but jesus fucken christ at some point look outside the box and see what's out there
Just b/c you know them and have worked with them doesn't mean they are the best candidate for the position (having said that the other side of the coin always plays here)
I want Jerry to die or be as far away from any personnel/coaching decisions regarding this team
MM has a scouting department...fucken use it...

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
As is the overall philospohy. Marinelli and guys of his ilk are the "bend but don't break" types, not fully committed to an attack posture, preferring to kind of ride along between the 20s and hope we don't give up any big plays, but then get aggressive in either red zone. You can't turn it off and on. You're either an attacking D or you're not. He wants to pick and choose and pretend OCs can't predict it. They can and do. They know he's gonna get aggressive inside his own 20 and they know he's gonna be blitzing when you're inside yours.

Quinn is from the attack at all times school. He will use the single-high safety look and he will disguise his coverages. But his front seven are attacking no matter where the ball is on the field. His DL is attacking upfield at the snap, disrupting the offense and his LBs are playing downhill and will be lined up closer to the LoS. His D will give up a big play here and there though. But once the unit gets tight and he has the personnel he wants, that will be fewer and further between. Quinn is much closer to the Jimmy Johnson philosophy.
Thanks Dooms for this break down...

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Those are great stats

But like you said, that was when he had the Legion of Boom

What have his stats been like without the legion of boom?
The way I see it, if given elite personnel, Quinn has a scheme that can be awesome
Obviously that D boasted some insane players so he will have to make due with what we have but if he can maximize their positions and spacing then the scheme part of it comes into play
Having said that. perfect time to bring in ET and pair him with Wilson...

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not saying he may not work out but I just don't want Jerry to pigeon hole himself into thinking that Moore is the next Sean Payton and therefore not have some balls and get uncomfortable...
Whether McCarthy wants him there is debatable but yes I do think he wants to be there though the rumors that he had accepted the Boise State head coaching position may lend some doubt to that
And I'm not saying I wasn't unhappy with the offense he ran and am ok with him being back but how often have we seen these so called up and coming coordinators suck at the head coaching gig?
Meyer wanted the job, Jerry should have given it to him...waiting on Neo when success may be staring you in the face can be dangerous

How is it debatable on Moore? McCarthy said so publicly.

Agree with you on Urban Meyer, I said the same thing last year. They should have went after him and tried to get him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not necessarily but jesus fucken christ at some point look outside the box and see what's out there
Just b/c you know them and have worked with them doesn't mean they are the best candidate for the position (having said that the other side of the coin always plays here)
I want Jerry to die or be as far away from any personnel/coaching decisions regarding this team
MM has a scouting department...fucken use it...
All coaches hire people they are familiar with or have common ground on in terms of style and philosophy.

Top Bottom