Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
All these other sports and teams cancelling their seasons and playoffs better not fuck up the NFL season damn it

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
All these other sports and teams cancelling their seasons and playoffs better not fuck up the NFL season damn it

I don't know what the latest numbers are, but tens days ago or so they had ratings numbers for the NBA and MLB and they were horrendous. Some of the motivation for them to "cancel" games or end the season truly might be because they want to avoid further embarrassment.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

follow up tweets in thread:
  • Trevon Diggs did come up limping a few plays after almost intercepting Dak in front of Gallup. Stayed on sideline but did not return to action.
  • Had a ton of reps for the run-game today. Really looked like they were evaluating the younger guys on the roster. Lots of decisions coming up and they want to get the best looks the can.
  • Defensively, Joe Thomas and Bradlee Anae each had another good practice. Thomas was a force in run fit, solid in coverage. Anae batted down a ball at the line of scrimmage and was active again in pass rush.
  • Really starting to see the communication between the corners and safeties come together. The windows are getting tighter for Dak and Dalton to throw in.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

follow up tweet sin thread:
  • What a sight. For first time in camp, the Cowboys’ projected starting offensive line took team drills together. LT Tyron Smith and RT La’el Collins both returned to action. Smith missed about a week with hamstring ailment. Collins took his first 11-on-11 reps of camp.
  • LG Connor McGovern has done some good things this summer, but given lack of NFL experience and the unconventional spring, it is difficult to imagine him factoring into Week 1 lineup. Same applies for rookie C Tyler Biadasz. Joe Looney seized that role from jump.
  • Cowboys were intent Friday on giving more run to their younger wide receivers. Been a lot to talent flashes to sift through, especially on Thursday. That meant minimal work in team periods for Amari Cooper and CeeDee Lamb. Michael Gallup kept fairly active.
  • Cam Erving and Brandon Knight are being cross-trained at left and right offensive tackle. They have seen reps on both sides over the past two days.
  • LB Francis Bernard is highly vocal on field, showing better command of defense than would be expected of an undrafted rookie void of spring on-field installation. Had a red zone PBU. Also blanketed RB Ezekiel Elliott in coverage down left boundary. Believe he makes this roster.
  • Reserve LB Luke Gifford spectated practice for a second straight day. Same for CB Chidobe Awuzie. Nickel CB Jourdan Lewis hasn’t been on field since Aug. 20 ankle injury. No sign of reserve OT Mitch Hyatt, who is expected to miss season. LB Sean Lee has spectated all of camp.
  • Chris Westry shows as much length in coverage as his 6-foot-4 frame would indicate. Michael Gallup had better position on deep pass, but the CB jarred ball loose to force incompletion. Did allow TDs later to WR Cedrick Wilson, who looks fully ready for season, and WR Tevin Jones.
  • Similar to Thursday when WR Noah Brown made a deep contested catch vs. Trevon Diggs, Brown caught one over middle. Diggs audibly frustrated he missed PBU. But later, Diggs recorded pass breakup vs. TE Charlie Taumoepeau at same area of field. Also nearly had INT vs. Gallup.
  • We cannot report what sort of gadget plays the Cowboys rehearsed in practice. But they will hope for better results if OC Kellen Moore is to call those plays in a game. Ball hit turf on multiple occasions. What practice is for.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
tweets from the official midget of the dallas cowboys:

• Prescott wasn’t perfect by any means, but the passing game looked crisp today. Lots of completions to Blake Jarwin and Michael Gallup. (how did I know CeeDee Lamb is the truth? the coaches gave him the day off. as a rookie
  • this is probably the most we’ve seen Dak as a runner, as well. lots of keepers and scrambles. at one point he even blocked* Aldon Smith on a reverse. *sort of got in the way
  • highlight of the day was the hurry up. Coaches put the offense on its own 35, trailing 17-9 with 1:15 to play. Dak guided them to pay dirt in 5 plays, capping it off with a ~25-yard TD. strike to Cedrick Wilson in the slot. he got the two point conversion with a QB draw.
  • to the defense’s credit, they should have ended the drive when Dak misfired on a curl to Gallup. Trevon Diggs made a diving effort but couldn’t hang on to the pick. it would’ve been his second in as many days.
  • Sean McKeon, the rookie TE, had his best day of camp today. he made a really impressive, diving/sliding catch on a 20+ yard throw from Clayton Thorson. later, Ben DiNucci found him between the safety and linebacker on a perfectly thrown seam ball for a ~20-yard TD
  • I’m gonna keep talking about Dalton Schultz. It’s hard to judge his blocking ability in practice, but he is very active and very impressive in the passing game. Noah Brown also continues to impress this week. He catches so smoothly and never seems to fight the ball.
  • yay, Neville Gallimore! he had a sack today in the red zone. ripped right past Connor McGovern to get to Andy Dalton. also saw UDFA Ladarius Hamilton, who we don’t talk much about, speed around from RE for a sack.
  • some random stuff I wrote down: Dak had a nice TD throw to Jarwin on a corner route, but he was likely sacked by Darian Thompson on a blitz really nice coverage by Francis Bernard on a Zeke wheel route. couple nice PBUs by Xavier Woods & Chris Westry during team

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
she meant to put "So far, its a totally different environment"

Pretty interesting quote and it says a lot. I keep liking MM but that's because I've been hungry for a real HC for years. There will be ups and downs but I don't get the feeling that we'll be continuously out-coached. And the players know it......

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Pretty interesting quote and it say a lot. I keep liking MM but that's because I've been hungry for a real HC for years. There will be ups and downs but I don't get the feeling that we'll be continuously out-coached. And the players know it......

That is exactly how I feel too

I always felt that when we went into a game on Sunday that we were ALWAYS going into the game at a disadvantage because of Garrett

Hell, just look at his record vs rookie coaches for proof of that

It no longer feels like we are going to get out coached each week. Or that our own team has to overcome our own coaching to be successful.

Hopefully there will be No more making a player fit the scheme, thereby taking away what said player is really good at. Hopefully they put the players in the best position to make plays.

Now we shall see if MM can unfuck the Garrett coaching out of Dak and let him do what he’s good at.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is exactly how I feel too

I always felt that when we went into a game on Sunday that we were ALWAYS going into the game at a disadvantage because of Garrett

Hell, just look at his record vs rookie coaches for proof of that

It no longer feels like we are going to get out coached each week. Or that our own team has to overcome our own coaching to be successful.

Hopefully there will be No more making a player fit the scheme, thereby taking away what said player is really good at. Hopefully they put the players in the best position to make plays.

Now we shall see if MM can unfuck the Garrett coaching out of Dak and let him do what he’s good at.

Yep...I agree Scot. Dak is the question mark, IMO. I think we're going to see things during the game where we step out the box and put players in a position to succeed on both sides of the ball. I know that sounds very cliche but I don't remember a game where I thought we out-schemed, out-planned or had a D on their toes. This was the same way I felt with the D. Just line up and play. Now, there's something to be said for that, but you have to give your team and edge. I'd bet we do a lot of no huddle and attack the D which seemed to be a staple of MM's teams in GB. We just rarely saw anything that made me think that the coach put a wrinkle in the scheme and outfoxed our opponent.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Look at what Dak was able to accomplish his first season when he was allowed to play to his strengths.

Then look what Dak became once Garrett and his staff put their coaching stamp on him. He was no longer free to take off and make a play with his feet when he saw the opportunity. They coached that out of him and tried to turn him into a pocket passer. Which is not his strength.

Hopefully MM can unfuck all the bad coaching Garrett has instilled in him and let Dak be Dak. Build a game plan around what he does best and play to his strengths as opposed to trying stuff Dak into your scheme and play style that you prefer.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
CeeDee Lamb must be one bad mofo

The coaches gave him the day off as a rookie.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
165e31947a21790c0ab992339ed33d5a.jpg

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Apparently Broaddus hinting it could be news regarding Earl Thomas, Logan Ryan or Randy Gregory

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

• Artificial crowd noise is now a practice staple. Coaches using it to simulate game feel, shouting out personnel groups and substitutions over sound. More hand signals. Defense a little late to run off 12th man near goal line on Cole Hikutini TD in back of EZ vs. LB Justin March.
  • It’s nearly decision time for Cowboys, who must reduce 80-man roster to 53 by Saturday at 2 p.m. CT. Some spots are close. In 9-on-7 run period, undrafted rookie RBs Darius Anderson and Rico Dowdle alternated reps. Would be easier to evaluate them with live tackling.
  • Season opener in 13 days means progressively less work for backup QBs Ben DiNucci and Clayton Thorson. They watched about as much practice as the media. Dak Prescott and Andy Dalton handled every team rep.
  • Cedrick Wilson has overcome a checkered injury history to have a strong camp, be Cowboys’ No. 4 WR. So it was a real scare when he rolled left ankle and hobbled to sideline. But that’s all it was. Wilson re-entered and caught a 25-yard TD over middle vs. CB Daryl Worley.
  • Cowboys WR Amari Cooper again didn’t participate in team drills. This has become a common occurrence over past three practices. But his activity during individual drills would indicate there is no long-term concern.
  • During team period, Cowboys WR Cedrick Wilson caught a slant pass from Dak Prescott with CB Daryl Worley in coverage, sprinting for touchdown.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Hill giving Martin "fits" has to be a positive sign. This guy couldn't show anything last year. Now there's been multiple references during this TC about him really flashing some ability.

Encouraging, but we'll see what happens when the games start.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

• Artificial crowd noise is now a practice staple. Coaches using it to simulate game feel, shouting out personnel groups and substitutions over sound. More hand signals. Defense a little late to run off 12th man near goal line on Cole Hikutini TD in back of EZ vs. LB Justin March.
  • It’s nearly decision time for Cowboys, who must reduce 80-man roster to 53 by Saturday at 2 p.m. CT. Some spots are close. In 9-on-7 run period, undrafted rookie RBs Darius Anderson and Rico Dowdle alternated reps. Would be easier to evaluate them with live tackling.
  • Season opener in 13 days means progressively less work for backup QBs Ben DiNucci and Clayton Thorson. They watched about as much practice as the media. Dak Prescott and Andy Dalton handled every team rep.
  • Cedrick Wilson has overcome a checkered injury history to have a strong camp, be Cowboys’ No. 4 WR. So it was a real scare when he rolled left ankle and hobbled to sideline. But that’s all it was. Wilson re-entered and caught a 25-yard TD over middle vs. CB Daryl Worley.
  • Cowboys WR Amari Cooper again didn’t participate in team drills. This has become a common occurrence over past three practices. But his activity during individual drills would indicate there is no long-term concern.
  • During team period, Cowboys WR Cedrick Wilson caught a slant pass from Dak Prescott with CB Daryl Worley in coverage, sprinting for touchdown.

Cedric Wilson has really had a strong camp.

Top Bottom