Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If he stays healthy, I suspect over his career he might make a lot of other secondaries look "crappy"
I share that suspicion. However my point is valid, #1 receivers run right through our clueless secondary on a regular basis. It's not just Lamb.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Gerald McCoy has an injury waiver on his quad in his contract; if he hurts quad, which he did, they can cut him, per source. And they did. He can keep his $3 million bonus but Cowboys appear not to owe him any more.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Just yesterday he said he'd be a mentor to the young guys. :lol

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Wow a new day here. Normally they cling to injured players like a dog with a bone. They sent McCoy packing less than 24 hours later. Or maybe they think effectively this is a career ender at his age.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Actually it was against crappy college secondaries, but point taken.
I was referring to what he's been doing in training camp. Blowing people away, and I felt it necessary to point out that's typical for our backend for the last several years. Tempering the enthuisiam for the new toy with the reality that, every #1 in the league does the same things to them on a regular basis. Therefore not really a big deal that Lamb is doing it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Wow a new day here. Normally they cling to injured players like a dog with a bone. They sent McCoy packing less than 24 hours later. Or maybe they think effectively this is a career ender at his age.
They built in an injury waiver as part of the contract due to his chronic tendinitis in his right knee/quadriceps, in the three year, $18 million deal McCoy signed as a free agent in March. Kind of a hedge against the bet. Dallas exercised the waiver option and McCoy keeps his $3 million signing bonus and would have to sign a new deal with Dallas if he is to come back.

Neither side gets really hurt. Nice job by the FO on this risk management.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This sounds encouraging

Apparently our secondary is getting a fair amount of action. They are getting multiple INT’s each practice.

Before we may hear that there was one INT here or one there per practice. But it sounds like they are happening regularly now and from a number of different players.

This is a good sign that things might actually be changing for the better finally

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So far the reports on Aldon Smith have been pretty good. This is from yesterday.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Gallup Won't Say It, But McCarthy Says He's "No. 1"
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:00 PM

Gallup-Won’t-Say-It,-But-McCarthy-Says-He’s-“No.-1”-hero

FRISCO, Texas – For the most part, when a head coach gets a question he's not too fond of, he'll find a way to either sidestep the answer or find a way to be diplomatic with his approach.

Mike McCarthy is no exception, but he did take some exception to a question on Tuesday regarding Michael Gallup being the Cowboys' No. 2 receiver.

"Let's make it clear. Michael Gallup's a No. 1 receiver in my view. I think we're very fortunate to have three players with that level of potential to go out and play at that level," McCarthy said of Gallup, along with Amari Cooper and CeeDee Lamb. "I've been so impressed not only with what Michael's done on film last year. He was definitely one of the players that really jumped off the video during the offseason study. Because I didn't know a whole lot about Michael until last year. He's primed to take that next step."

The scary part of that sentence is just where the next step actually takes Gallup, considering he went over 1,000 yards last season.

But Gallup seems up for the challenge. And he's also happy to hear those words from his new coach … even if it's not something he would say himself.

"You definitely want to think of yourself as a No. 1 receiver," Gallup said Tuesday in a conference call with the media. "I'll never tell myself or anyone else that I'm the No. 1. But, always Practice like you are and you play like you are. I appreciate it from coach but I would never say that about myself."

And that's a big deal considering Gallup might be viewed as the third-best receiver on the team after Cooper and Lamb. When asked to share his thoughts on the draft pick, Gallup said he started having big aspirations about 2020.

"When we drafted him, I'm already thinking, Amari went over 1,000 yards. I went over 1,000 yards. And then you pick up one of the best wide receivers coming out. This is a three-headed monster. CeeDee is smart, quick, he's ready to learn. He's a funny guy. It's a good person to have in the locker room. It's a great pick."

McCarthy said sharing the ball will be vital in this offense. And while they might not all get to 1,000 yards as Cooper said two weeks ago was a goal of the receivers, it doesn't mean they won't be effective as a trio working together.

"The reality of it is everyone wants to live by numbers. But it really comes down to opportunities," McCarthy said. "Those three guys, we have the chance to do some really big things. And really the overall receiver group. We've got a bunch of young guys that are stepping up each and every day. It's a group that has competition, but I think we're very fortunate to have three players of that caliber."

And McCarthy is clear that Gallup is right there with the rest of them.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Aug. 18 Updates
Dontari Poe
#95 DT
4:28 p.m. – Defensive tackle Dontari Poe passed his physical Tuesday, which means he's eligible to be activated off the Active/Physically Unable to Perform list and return to practice.
The Cowboys signed Poe to a two-year deal in April as a key addition to the defensive line. The two-time Pro Bowler had quad surgery last year while playing for Carolina and has been working with the Cowboys' athletic training staff early in camp.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4:27 p.m. – The Cowboys signed offensive tackle Pace Murphy to the 80-man roster, adding depth to a position that's been depleted in camp so far.
Right tackle La'el Collins and swing tackle candidate Cameron Erving haven't practiced yet due to short-term ailments, according to head coach Mike McCarthy.
Murphy reportedly went through a scheduled workout with the team before signing. Undrafted out of Northwestern State in 2016, he has yet to play in an NFL game but most recently went to camp with the Chiefs in 2019 after spending time on their practice squad in 2018.

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Skip is wrong or at least partially. IMO, the biggest reason we saw a drop in Zeke's yards after contact and catch isn't all about Zeke (i .e. big plays).

In his rookie year and into his second he had far better blocking WRs ... Dez would brag before games he'd spring Zeke for a big one. Looks like the mentality to block well just was not a priority for the WRs in 2018 or 2019. But then they were new faces learning a system.

different players and different WRs coach

Top Bottom