dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That's what happens when you have a GM with no real accountability.

Dude was a legit top-10 talent that we got at the end of the 2nd rd.

At that point it was worth the risk/reward.

If we had wasted an early 1st on him, THAT would be something to complain about.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dude was a legit top-10 talent that we got at the end of the 2nd rd.

At that point it was worth the risk/reward.

If we had wasted an early 1st on him, THAT would be something to complain about.
He told the teams he had a serious dependency issue and that he needed to be "watched".

Most GM's weren't willing to gamble their livelihood on that kind of risk. Vontaze Burfict was a pretty good player but was such a knucklehead that he went undrafted. 2nd round was too rich a gamble on Gregory.

GM Jerry knew there were no consequences for his gamble. He has apologists like you ready to make nonstop excuses for him.

BURN!

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jane Slater

@SlaterNFL

1h

I’m told the final offer on the table for Dak Prescott is between 33-35M annually with over 100M guaranteed. While there have still been no discussions between the two that’s the deal the #Cowboys have presented ahead of tomorrow’s deadline per a source informed.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He told the teams he had a serious dependency issue and that he needed to be "watched".

Most GM's weren't willing to gamble their livelihood on that kind of risk. Vontaze Burfict was a pretty good player but was such a knucklehead that he went undrafted. 2nd round was too rich a gamble on Gregory.

GM Jerry knew there were no consequences for his gamble. He has apologists like you ready to make nonstop excuses for him.

BURN!

People were not surprised when Burfict fell into a death spiral during the draft.

People were shocked Gregory lasted as long as he did though.

Like I said, IMO late 2nd was worth the risk/reward on him at that point.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
People were not surprised when Burfict fell into a death spiral during the draft.

People were shocked Gregory lasted as long as he did though.

Like I said, IMO late 2nd was worth the risk/reward on him at that point.
You're trying to jusify your own narrative.

Vontaze Burfict going undrafted after being lazy and a jerk, but then going onto 79 career games and a Pro Bowl appearnce was not what NFL teams expected or else someone would have taken a Day 3 flyer on him. The league was wrong, he was worth a late draft pick risk. The Cowboys drafted a no-talent having linebacker Caleb McSurdy in the 7th round. They absolutely should have drafed Burfict there.

Randy Gregory going in the 2nd round after admitting he has serious dependency and emotional issues, while going on to only play 28 games and serving multiple suspensions for failed drug tests shows he was overdrafted. He told you who he was. Yes, he was absolutely a top 10 talent. A GM who can't be fired took a chance and it was a poor decision. The league was right.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Vontaze Burfict going undrafted after being lazy and a jerk, but then going onto 79 career games and a Pro Bowl appearnce was not what NFL teams expected or else someone would have taken a Day 3 flyer on him. The league was wrong, he was worth a late draft pick risk. The Cowboys drafted a no-talent having linebacker Caleb McSurdy in the 7th round. They absolutely should have drafed Burfict there.

Randy Gregory going in the 2nd round after admitting he has serious dependency and emotional issues, while going on to only play 28 games and serving multiple suspensions for failed drug tests shows he was overdrafted. He told you who he was. Yes, he was absolutely a top 10 talent. A GM who can't be fired took a chance and it was a poor decision. The league was right.

Well duh dude. Hindsight is always 100% accurate. Jason Witten should have been a top-15 pick based on how his career panned out. Where would Tony Romo rightfully be drafted had people known what he'd do? Once upon a time All world all time great Larry Allen was a mid 2nd rd pick. Once upon a time Leon Lett was a late rd pick.

As for your comments on Gregory, I don't recall him "admitting he had a serious dependency and emotional issue" as part of the draft process that year. All I remember is he reportedly flunked the piss test.

You win some you lose some, that's the draft. I don't have a problem with where they selected Randy Gregory at. On the other hand I hated moves they made like 1996 (passing on a top-15 guy on their board, Tony Brackens) to trade down and take Kavika Pittman and Clay Shiver. I hated them trading out of the first rd in 1995 for all those busts they took in the 2nd rd. I hated the Quincy Carter/Tony Dixon drafts. Bll Parcells made his share of early round gaffes here and nearly cost us a hall of fame player in Demarcus Ware because he really wanted Marcus Spears first. He traded down and passed on Steve Jackson. he drafted 2nd rd bums Jacob Rogers and Al Johnson despite scouts telling him not to.

Even Jimmy made a few mistakes. Granted, Jerry's gaffes far outweigh those, but every team makes mistakes. For the most part in the last 10 years the team has drafted pretty well. They didnt risk a top-10 pick on a guy like Gregory (and doubtful they would have, had they had that opportunity). They used a bottom of the 2nd rd pick on a guy rated as a top-10 talent. We arnt the first team in the world to do that.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We arnt the first team in the world to do that.
Just the only one where there can't be any consequences for the GM who rolled that dice and came up crap. That's cmd's point. Jerry won't ever fire Jerry, so that leaves Jerry free to do stupid shit no one else in the league would and not sweat getting canned.

Other side of that pancake is, you can't hit the ball if you don't swing and when/if he hits one such crapshoot outta the park, he's suddenly a "genius football man" regardless of past fuckups.

I agree with your point too, it's actually two separate points.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

You saved me the trouble responding to dbair. You're spot on. This guy wasn't worth the gamble or the risk reward in the 2nd round. He told the world he had a problem. He couldn't stay clean when he knew full well he was going to get tested and had, potentially, tens of millions of dollars on the line. This is not a guy you take with a pick in the first 3 rounds. We need starters with those picks. Not projects.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dont think they went went wrong locking up La'el Collins. You could debate all the rest though.

That's the kind of guy you give a contract to. We picked him up for nothing, worked hard and became a quality starter. I'm with you.......

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
who are your game day 4th & 5th WRs? and why?
I'm hoping Smith and Rodgers

Cedrick Wilson, 6-2 200 24

Devin Smith, 6-1 199 28 ... PLAY SPEED, can back up all of the top 3

Kendrick Rogers, 6-4 204 22, ... RED ZONE, the only beast in the bunch

Tevin Jones, 6-2 225 27

Jon'Vea Johnson, 6-0 192 24

Ventell Bryant, 6-3 205 23

Noah Brown. 6-2 225 24

Last edited:

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
who are your game day 4th & 5th WRs? and why?
I'm hoping Smith and Rodgers

Cedrick Wilson, 6-2 200 24

Devin Smith, 6-1 199 28 ... PLAY SPEED, can back up all of the top 3

Kendrick Rogers, 6-4 204 22, ... RED ZONE, the only beast in the bunch

Tevin Jones, 6-2 225 27

Jon'Vea Johnson, 6-0 192 24

Ventell Bryant, 6-3 205 23

Noah Brown. 6-2 225 24

My guess is Jon’Vea Johnson and Devin Smith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Dak’s brother is pissed now, how’s he going to feel if the cap drops next season and the Cowboys decide to just let Dak walk. He won’t sniff anything near the $100M guaranteed he was offered this off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dak probably had a deal with his brutha that he would get a small percentage of the new deal Dak signed to be his hang around good for nothing gopher for the next four year

So since Dak didn’t sign a new deal his brutha ain’t gonna get shit and now he’s pissed...

Because his used Yugo payment is due next month and he’s not sure how he’s going to be able to afford the monthly payments

Top Bottom