MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Emmitt's career high fro fumbles was his 2nd yr

But you are right about the OL, and adding Norv his 2nd yr caused Emmitt's massive career takeoff, as well as the rest of offense.

Can’t forget about Hudson Houck too. Most of those guys on that great OL had been in the NFL for a few years before Houck turned them into probably the greatest OL unit of all time. He joined them in ‘93.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If it's one game I gotta win, give me that holy trinity of Troy, Irvin & Emmitt any day over any other 3-some at those positions in league history.

Individually you can argue left and right about better QB, better RB, better WR...but as a group, I don't think there's much of an argument.

Yea individually none of the Triplets was the best at their position but there have been very few trios, if any that were as good as those three guys were together.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Puts on full blown homer hat.

Give me the coaching staff and roster of the SB 27 & 28 winning Dallas Cowboys and I'll go against any team, any era, anywhere.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Manning, Harrison & James would merit consideration.

Definitely in the mix. Due to number of titles though Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin would still be higher in my opinion.

Montana, Craig, Rice is a trio that has a great argument to be better.

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
trios are cool - but the glue on each of the Os above were absolutely awesome TEs
Brent Jones, Dallas Clark, Jay Novacek

BTW, as trios go Bradshaw, Harris, and Swann (+ Cunningham) were hard to stop

so were Staubach, Dorsett, and Pearson (+ DuPree)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Can’t forget about Hudson Houck too. Most of those guys on that great OL had been in the NFL for a few years before Houck turned them into probably the greatest OL unit of all time. He joined them in ‘93.

Tony Wise was an amazing OL coach here. He really developed those guys into a dominant unit and none of them were drafted overly high (Larry Allen was the highest, in the 2nd in 1994 and that was after Wise left). Big E Williams was a 3rd rd pick as was Stepnoski, but the rest of that OL was classic overachievers and turning lemons into lemon aid. Nate Newton was a USFL and Washington Redskin castoff who was a lardass, Wise turned him into an all pro. Mark Tuinei was actually drafted as a DT and he turned into one of the more consistent LT's in the league (people forget he erased Brice Smith in back to back super bowls, and did it almost all 1 on 1). John Gesek and Kevin Gogan were classic overachievers. Gesek was moved to C for the postseason in 1993 and played at an extremely high level after we lost Stepnoski (knee injury and Frank Cornish (replaced due to mediocre play)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Montana, Craig, Rice is a trio that has a great argument to be better.

Yeah I thought of them and they were elite, and they did win three championships together (84, 88 and 89) but Craig was actually the FB on the 84 team, Wendell Tyler was their primary TB that yr.

But definitely in the conversation.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
An anonymous NFL offensive coach said he's already started to witness signs of decline from Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott heading into the 2020 season.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler polled 50 league executives, coaches, scouts and players, who combined to rank Elliott as the league's third-best back behind the New York Giants' Saquon Barkley and Carolina Panthers' Christian McCaffrey. Not everyone was convinced he deserved that high praise, though.

"Very few breakout runs, doesn't look as strong anymore," the anonymous coach, who ranked Elliott outside the top 10 at the position, told Fowler for an article released Thursday. "Feels like he's about 60 to 70 percent of what he was."

If Elliott has started to decline after accumulating 1,358 touches across his first four years with Dallas, it hasn't shown up in his baseline numbers.

The 24-year-old Ohio State product recorded 1,357 rushing yards on 301 carries (4.5 YPC) with 12 touchdowns in 2019 despite not signing a new contract until less than a week before the start of the regular season. He added 54 catches for 420 yards and two scores.

He ranks first in rushing yards (5,405) and second in rushing touchdowns (40) among all backs since the Cowboys selected him with the fourth overall pick in the 2016 draft, per Pro Football Reference.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm talking about the greatest set of Triplets regardless of championships

Manning > Aikman
Harrison = Irvin
Emmitt > James

Comparatively speaking then, the tie breaker to me seems to be one group won three super bowls and the other guys won once.

Sure they were a great trio and had all kinds of success during the regular season.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
An anonymous NFL offensive coach said he's already started to witness signs of decline from Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott heading into the 2020 season.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler polled 50 league executives, coaches, scouts and players, who combined to rank Elliott as the league's third-best back behind the New York Giants' Saquon Barkley and Carolina Panthers' Christian McCaffrey. Not everyone was convinced he deserved that high praise, though.

"Very few breakout runs, doesn't look as strong anymore," the anonymous coach, who ranked Elliott outside the top 10 at the position, told Fowler for an article released Thursday. "Feels like he's about 60 to 70 percent of what he was."

If Elliott has started to decline after accumulating 1,358 touches across his first four years with Dallas, it hasn't shown up in his baseline numbers.

The 24-year-old Ohio State product recorded 1,357 rushing yards on 301 carries (4.5 YPC) with 12 touchdowns in 2019 despite not signing a new contract until less than a week before the start of the regular season. He added 54 catches for 420 yards and two scores.

He ranks first in rushing yards (5,405) and second in rushing touchdowns (40) among all backs since the Cowboys selected him with the fourth overall pick in the 2016 draft, per Pro Football Reference.

They have a fair point about breakaway runs, although I still contend some of that is a result of constantly running into stacked boxes behind an OL that didnt create the same "space" they did say from 2013-1016 when all those guys were in their prime.

The part about not as strong though appears to be b/s to me though. He's trucked plenty of guys and constantly churns positive yards after contact.

So basically, this article is trash.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ezekiel Elliott raises $85,000 to feed 400,000 families in need
Posted by Charean Williams on July 8, 2020, 3:28 PM EDT

GettyImages-856844320-e1594236465254.jpg

Getty Images
Ezekiel Elliott uses his trademark “Feed Me” celebration on the field. Off the field, the Cowboys running back is feeding others.

Elliott announced in May he was collaborating with CentreTX to release exclusive merchandise with 100 percent of proceeds going to the North Texas Food Bank.

This week, Elliott announced the total donation is $85,000, which will help feed 400,000 North Texas families in need.
Elliott, who has recovered from COVID-19, personally delivered the check to the North Texas Food Bank.

“I am grateful to give back to the city that’s given me so much,” Elliott wrote on social media. “I am thankful for @centretx and YOU my fans for raising enough money to help feed over 400,000 families in North Texas this summer. I hope that this money helps provide much needed relief for those that are currently challenged. I’m looking forward to teaming up with @centretx and @northtexasfoodbank in the future to keep providing meals for those in need in our communities.”

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Yeah like I commented in other post, that is just trash. Dude gains more yards from nothing than any RB in the league IMO, and he still consistently runs through or over guys. The only true statement is lack of long runs, but that isnt all on him for the reasons I noted above.

Top Bottom