icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
randy gregory & aldon smith carpooling to games this season:

source.gif

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
note from icup: i didnt bother reading this until i posted it. this whole thing about aldon smith isnt telling us anything new at all. i would recommend not even reading it. im still posting it because i went through this much trouble already and now ive added this long stupid note too. enjoy your day

1585852809291.png

WHAT NO ONE’S TALKING ABOUT

How many guys just vanish from the NFL. I’ve thought a bunch about this, but we’ve seen a lot of players in recent years succumb to off-field problems after promising starts to their careers, and just fall off the radar altogether.

Justin Blackmon is a great example of that. Blackmon hid his substance-abuse issue during his illustrious run as an Oklahoma State Cowboy, to the point where some teams didn’t know of his habit of going way off campus to drink. Some found out about it before the 2012 draft, and it raised serious concerns. Others just saw him as a little bit of a recluse, with a different personality, not knowing what was really going on.

The Jaguars wound up taking him seventh overall, and a little more than a month later he was cited for DUI back in Stillwater. Even after that, Blackmon wound up leading all rookies with 64 catches and 865 yards in 2012, while scoring five touchdowns. But he was suspended for violating the substance abuse policy before the 2013 season, only played four games that year, and hasn’t played in the NFL since.

He’s still on the Jaguars’ reserve list. And he’s not alone.

At points over the last decade, Josh Gordon, Dion Jordan, Daryl Washington and Martavis Bryant have all fallen into this category.

So good for Aldon Smith, the troubled ex-Niner and Raider who agreed to a deal with the Cowboys this week. He’s another one of these, and if history has told us anything, it’s how hard it is to make your way out of that category. Here’s hoping he stays on the right side of it.

Full article:

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
well, clarence, that would be stupid, negligent, and typical cowboys

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
well, clarence, that would be stupid, negligent, and typical cowboys

If all are healthy and available, and Gregory and Smith show they can actually play its not that bad.

We also still have DLaw, Dorance Armstrong, Joe Jackson and Jalen Jelks (spent all last yr on IR, but he flashed quite a bit in training camp and preseason. Very interesting prospect)

That said, I still have my doubts Gregory and Smith make the team. I also have my doubts that Crawford will be here.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If all are healthy and available, and Gregory and Smith show they can actually play its not that bad.

We also still have DLaw, Dorance Armstrong, Joe Jackson and Jalen Jelks (spent all last yr on IR, but he flashed quite a bit in training camp and preseason. Very interesting prospect)

That said, I still have my doubts Gregory and Smith make the team. I also have my doubts that Crawford will be here.
i didnt spell it out in my post but my biggest worry is that they think DL is good heading into the season, and therefore, feel like they do not need to draft anybody too high, especially at EDGE

and most of the current DL group has not shown that they can stay healthy or effective for a full season. even DLaw had some back issues in the past and its not like those just go away. he might need to be managed or put on a pitch count the older he gets

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
After seeing another thread in CZ where those slobs are still piling on Marinelli (who obviously wasnt great here), I noticed none mentioned how bad Richard was (as usual).

So I googled Richard because I had not heard anything about where he went and the dude still doesn't have a job. CANT GET A JOB PRO OR COLLEGE.

I was excited when we got him, but he was a major let down. The secondary never improved under him and there's no excuse whatsoever for them ignoring rookie Donovan Wilson during the regular season after the kind of preseason he had. On a team which for years couldn't get turnovers to save their lives, Wilson had 3 picks in 4 preseason games. Granted, it's preseason but he ended up with more picks than any Cowboys player for the entire regular season (we had two guys that had two each)

Easy to see now why Pete Carroll fired him, and one of the worst coaches in league history gladly hired him.
Easier to see who was the brains of the operation in Seattle.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
CB jourdan lewis on amari:

he's talkin about this play:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
CB jourdan lewis on amari:
Cooper IS hard to guard. When he wants to be. Other times yes he does seem to disappear. Due to prior coaching's inability to adjust the offense to get him open? We saw that time and again with Dez. Defenses rightly fear Cooper. But we always seem to just accept it when defenses work to take him away. The "take what they give us" crap.

But 100 million and 60 guaranteed? When this draft class is brimming with prospects like never before?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't think there was much doubt about this anyway, but there's this:

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Cooper IS hard to guard. When he wants to be. Other times yes he does seem to disappear. Due to prior coaching's inability to adjust the offense to get him open? We saw that time and again with Dez. Defenses rightly fear Cooper. But we always seem to just accept it when defenses work to take him away. The "take what they give us" crap.

But 100 million and 60 guaranteed? When this draft class is brimming with prospects like never before?
Agree turd is a little harsh. Grossly over paid works pretty well. This seems more strategic jersey selling than strsgic football in a loaded draft.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
SOUP BOW!!!

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Cowboys’ offseason program begins today and Mike McCarthy will be able to have his first team meeting "virtually," since being named coach. The Cowboys do not have any players with offseason workout bonuses, but they do have a number of players with de-escalators that would reduce their base salaries if they don’t take part in 90 percent of the program. Given the “virtual,” program this offseason, players would need to participate in these sessions to comply.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
One thing that really sux for us is with a new coach, you get extra OTA's and mini camp I believe. We will be installing a brand new defense and undoubtedly will have new wrinkles on offense, even if the OC and terminology remaining the same.

Because of Covid, the above is not going to happen.

Top Bottom