icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i didnt see diggs' score in the article

ok original tweet was deleted because it said trevon diggs was a dud last week, but it was a typo

this is the tweet now and no cowboys are on it but chase young is

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Other teams hired new coaches and are not playing this bad defensively.

I don't see how any defense can play this bad regardless of who is on the field. The scheme is definitely fllwed and sux, but there is also lack of effort and an appearance of players already quitting IMO. Combine the two, and you get what we see every week.

The above said, even with the right effort the defense would still be garbage. Nolan is just a terrible DC.

A lot of it does have to do with the coaches. Scheme doesn’t fit the personnel. When is time to blame the players though? Under Marinelli the scheme was too simple and basic, too predictable. Now it’s too complicated so they needed to dumb it down. The only thing that hasn’t really changed is the players. We have guys getting paid top 5 money for their positions but producing squat. Taco Charlton has more tackles, and sacks than Demarcus Lawrence this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Good post and I agree, especially about the impact of Dak missing the season on the Jones clan. There's still a lot of football to play but no one should be under any illusions that Dalton is a better QB than Dak.

Dalton looked like he has PTSD from his Cincy days. When he has time to throw he looks like an adequate QB. However whenever he got serious pressure on him he just threw the ball up for grabs. He’s definitely not better than Dak. I’d probably put him closer to Ryan Fitzpatrick than Dak Prescott.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Seriously when is this guy going to ever just STFU!!!! (I know, I know it's never)
The stuff that literally comes out of his mouth borders on insanity and dementia and he takes us all for fools

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Even with a back-up QB we shouldn't look this inept. I always thought our talent was way over-rated and dbair and I would go back and forth on the issue. AZ's defense was flying to ball and hitting and ours just seemed soft. Doom's thinks it's a system problem and it's too complicated but I see dumb asses just running into each other, missing tackles and just give a half ass effort. Add to that that we're devoid of any play-makers on the D side of the ball and we have issues.

And to boot he gets an unsportsmanlike call with his lip service...

InternetKing

The Elite :-P
Reaction score
Michael Lombardi has to say about the idiot called Jerry Jones.....

Lombardi: Jerry Jones cares more about winning his way than he does just winning

GettyImages-1277056069-1024x683[1].jpg

By Michael Lombardi -- Oct 20, 2020

When Cowboys owner Jerry Jones first hired Mike McCarthy, my thought was that he’d bring a sense of toughness, accountability and discipline to the Boys, as well as honesty. I thought that Jones had finally seen the light; he was finally admitting he needed a change. I felt McCarthy could tell Jones what he needed to hear, not what he wanted. Jones needs the truth, he needs to hear a different tune and, most of all, Jones needs to know his way is not working. We all treat the Cowboys and Jones like NFL royalty, yet when you examine the facts and move away from the Jones public relation machine, they have been below average the last 25 years.

I don’t care that Jones is in the Hall of Fame. That is not relevant. Jones is in the Hall for the game’s advancement, not for his understanding of the game. It’s been 25 years since the Boys have won a Super Bowl. What is even more remarkable is they have only been to the playoffs 10 times in the last 25 years and have not appeared in the NFC title game. I thought McCarthy, with his rough-and-tumble ways and straightforward personality, would be like Jimmy Malone from the classic 1987 movie “The Untouchables.” Malone was a tough guy, wouldn’t take any crap from anyone and was always willing to lay down his life for a great cause. His role was to help American Prohibition agent Eliot Ness understand what it would take to beat Al Capone. Ness was naive. His knowledge of the underworld was superficial, underestimating the lengths Capone would go to win the war. Until Malone explained the powerful truth, Ness would have never completely understood how hard it would be to send Capone to prison. McCarthy would be the Malone to Jerry Jones’ Ness as they worked together to chase a Super Bowl.

As it turns out, McCarthy is not Malone, and the Boys are still doing exactly what Jones wants to do. McCarthy is not involved in the flow and is essentially only deciding when to kick or when to punt. Why would McCarthy agree to coach the Cowboys without coaching the Cowboys? Yes, he gets paid handsomely and, yes, the Cowboys are a marquee team, but this makes no sense.

McCarthy loves running an offense. He loves calling plays. The game always ran through him operating the offense. In Green Bay, people would tell you that McCarthy was not involved with any defensive preparation, that his sole focus was the offense and making sure it ran smoothly. He sat out a year to work on his craft, to study the league and to come back fresher, newer, more revitalized than ever before. Yet now all he does is stand there, clap a little and pace. McCarthy watches his team self-destruct, allowing a second-year coordinator Kellen Moore, one of Jones’ new favorite coaches and the man who could replace McCarthy one day, call the game. Why would McCarthy agree to this? He likely could have gotten another job.

The Boys are a lucky 2-4 and still alive in the NFC East only because the East is so bad. They could easily be 1-5 if Atlanta recovers the onside kick in Week 2. The first team in the NFC East to six wins might win the crown. In fairness, the Boys have been decimated with injuries in their offensive line and to starting quarterback Dak Prescott. But injuries are not an excuse. And the Boys, despite the injuries, don’t look like a well-coached team. They have playmakers on offense, yet they don’t consistently make plays. Moore calls the game like he is playing Madden on his computer at home with no regard for being complementary to the other two phases of the Cowboys team. Moore might be a great play drawer, he might have a great sense of what plays will work, but being a great coordinator involves way more than “feel” and plays.

The best offensive minds in football know the defenses inside and out. They understand the defense’s origins so well, how it works from one call to another and how the adjustments fit. When great offensive coaches call plays, they are attacking defensive adjustments, not the basic defense. They are much like a Grand Master in chess, plotting two or three moves ahead to get the right call against the right adjustments. Watching Moore call plays is random. There is no rhyme or reason. He leaves his offensive tackles alone to block edge rushers that they cannot handle, and his protections are easily attacked, which is why free runners are coming at the quarterback. Moore was overmatched on Monday night by Cardinals defensive coordinator Vance Joseph. You could tell Joseph was licking his chops attacking the Boys offense even though he lost his best pass rusher, Chandler Jones. After the second series and before the Zeke Elliott fumbling parade, the game was never in doubt. The difference between the two coaches was obvious.

And McCarthy just watches Moore. He has 10 times more experience than Moore when it comes to offensive football, yet he gives Moore the autonomy to run what he wants — which is what Jones wants. You never see McCarthy’s lips move (through his mask) during the game to suggest a play or veto a call. You never see the old “Green Bay McCarthy” offense. All you see is Moore operating as an independent contractor, which is once again what Jones wants. McCarthy knew Moore was his play-caller, his offensive coordinator. Jones made it clear: Moore was his offensive guru. Jones was straightforward before McCarthy took the Boys gig about Moore, which baffles me as to why he would accept the job under these conditions. Why would he let Moore control what he loved controlling?

Jones learned his way of doing business from talking to former Raiders owner Al Davis. Davis was involved in everything, making every small decision. Before I went to work for Davis, an esteemed agent once told me while he picked up a legal pad. “You see this pad? Whether it’s my player or this pad, it takes the same level of approvals for either purchase. Davis has to okay everything.” And when I finally went to work for Davis, that statement proved to be correct. Now, understand, Davis had a great background in all things football. He knew the game better than anyone; he was sharp, engaged, worked hard to study the tape and was able to make football decisions. Jones does not have Davis’ background or understanding of the game. So when he sets up his organization in the Raider model, the missing link is to have a football expert help correct the mistakes. Davis wanted his head coach to call plays, to run the offense freely, so he could mingle with the defensive coaches and tinker with his passion: defensive football. Davis loved defense. He loved short-yardage defense; he loved goal-line defense; he loved every kind of defense that could impact the game.

Jones does not have this vast knowledge. Jones is what people refer to in the business world as having the Dunning-Kruger effect of management. In psychology, the Dunning-Kruger Effect is a cognitive bias. Described by social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, this bias results from successful people in one field who then believe that success without vast knowledge can extend to other endeavors. It can’t and never does. Their lack of self-awareness creates a void in evaluating their performance, leading to poor results over an extended period. After not being able to compete for a Super Bowl in 25 years, wouldn’t you think Jones would stop and say, my way isn’t working? No. Instead, he doubles down and hires a Super Bowl-winning coach and doesn’t give him any power, because he is an example of Dunning-Kruger.

Nothing will change in Dallas, no matter who coaches, until Jones decides winning his way is not as important as just winning. If 25 years of not being successful does not motivate a man who is in the latter stages of his life to change, nothing will. And for Cowboy fans, that’s a sad reality you must accept.

(Photo by Abbie Parr/Getty Images)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Lombardi said:
Nothing will change in Dallas, no matter who coaches, until Jones decides winning his way is not as important as just winning. If 25 years of not being successful does not motivate a man who is in the latter stages of his life to change, nothing will. And for Cowboy fans, that’s a sad reality you must accept.
****** Lombardi -We long ago accepted that here. It's why we have a "Jerry Jones Deathwatch Thread." Rest of the article, you're just preaching to the choir. Sounds like you have been reading the DCU, unlike another I could name. You're just a hack, a master of the obvious.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dalton looked like he has PTSD from his Cincy days. When he has time to throw he looks like an adequate QB. However whenever he got serious pressure on him he just threw the ball up for grabs. He’s definitely not better than Dak. I’d probably put him closer to Ryan Fitzpatrick than Dak Prescott.

From what I saw Monday night, he's not even in Fitzpatrick's league. Dalton sucked even when he had time. Maybe more first team reps will help but I expected better downfield accuracy.

Reactions: MrB

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
no i wasn't trying to, it's all on jerry jones
Jerry twisted your arm and forced you to post that bullshit Lombardi crap here?

A puke who played long-snapper at fucking HOFSTRA, who isn't even related to the great Vince Lombardi. We don't give two shits what that idiot has to say. As I said, he wrote nothing WE haven't been writing, here. If you read the board you would know that.

InternetKing

The Elite :-P
Reaction score
Jerry twisted your arm and forced you to post that bullshit Lombardi crap here?

no, I read it too fast.

A puke who played long-snapper at fucking HOFSTRA, who isn't even related to the great Vince Lombardi. We don't give two shits what that idiot has to say. As I said, he wrote nothing WE haven't been writing, here. If you read the board you would know that.

are you talking about a university in New York when you said HOFSTRA?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Here's all you need to know about the credibility of Michael Lombardi, which is nil.

In September 2017, Mike Lombardi made headlines by criticizing Philadelphia Eagles coach Doug Pederson: "He might be less qualified to coach a team than anyone I’ve ever seen in my 30-plus years in the NFL."

Pederson would lead the Eagles to their first Super Bowl championship later that season.
are you talking about a university in New York when you said HOFSTRA?
THE university in NY. NOT known for its football "program."

Top Bottom