Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The team's new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan has been under fire for the unit's historically poor performance through the first six games of the season. The Joneses' and McCarthy have pointed to the fact that Nolan's scheme is different than the previous regime's, and because they didn't have a normal offseason or training camp, implementing it became more complicated.

“Definitely. It’s a change," McCarthy said when asked if the players believe in Nolan's scheme. "Frankly, we’re in the infant stages of it. ... That’s part of these first-year challenges."
if MM is as good at making things work in Jerry World as JG, he'll survive may even get to 8-8,
if not he may soon end up like Wade Phillips

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Wentz is the 5th player in the SB era to throw 9 INT’s and be sacked 25 times in 6 games

He will be broken way ahead of schedule this season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Wentz is the 5th player in the SB era to throw 9 INT’s and be sacked 25 times in 6 games

He will be broken way ahead of schedule this season.
*Wince. Carson Wince.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
100% spot on. No team on the planet lets a franchise QB potentially walk. If they were sold on Dak, they would have overpaid but they weren't sold on him. Couple that with his agents being assholes and going back on the numbers they had agreed after a hot start last year and this is what you get.

I also give you credit because I believe your opinion kind of evolved on this issue in that you were pretty certain the Jones' were going to sign Dak long term and I remember us discussing/debating it some time back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You’re absolutely right. I thought they would cave. I fully expected them to overpay (for the market at the time) and give him $35M-$40M. I was saying that all during the off season. I was surprised they didn’t. That just proves to me that they are not completely sold on him. The Jones’ are not know for low balling. If anything they have always caved and over payed to keep players they want. Money has never been an issue. And if they REALLY thought Dak was their franchise QB of the future they would have broken the bank on a 4 year deal like Dak allegedly wanted. The fact that they didn’t do whatever or spend whatever tells me they are not 100% in on Dak.

Like I said though, maybe Dak missing this season convinced them that he is the right guy but up until this season started they were not convinced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Then they're simply irresponsible and incompetent. Had four years of cheap QB money and squandered it by not getting a real one in here.

No one is denying that, not even me. They are absolutely irresponsible and incompetent.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Dak at the right price would have kept the stands full and the money rolling in. SB is never the goal any longer. Any talk of a SB is just salesmanship to keep the shills happy.

I agree 100%. Their goal is being the richest and most valuable franchise in sports. So to the Jones’ they’ve won their SB already for the last several years.

Maybe that’s why they were so in on Romo and not sold on Dak. Romo was fine with just being the QB of “America’s Team”. Winning a SB at any cost was not in his game plan. So that made the Jones’ happy because as long as they were raking in billions everyone was happy. Dak seems more concerned with actually winning. That doesn’t fit the Jones agenda. They’re not willing to win at any cost. They only want to win under their terms.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
In order to tank, wouldn't you have to have all the players onboard? And if so, how would they be able to keep that a secret. Even if Jerry subscribe to the "tanking" fantasy/theory, MM I imagine would have too much pride.

Actually just the opposite. Jerry can’t just come out and say to the team “ok guys we’re tanking this year so make sure you suck.” The players would never go for it and the coaches would never go for it. Also any other GM would never go for it because it would immediately cost him his job.

Jerry is the GM though. He can construct a coaching staff that doesn’t fit the personnel. He can persuade players like La’el Collins and Tyron Smith to have season ending surgery instead of playing through pain and waiting for the off season to have surgery. There are many things Jerry the GM can do to organically tank the season. Dak getting hurt and the rest of the injuries just helped his cause.

Again, before Dooms gets all triggered again, this is just a conspiracy theory and likely not actually happening. But it is a possibility.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
We talked about it here tons, when it happened. We tried to sign him and he elected to keep playing on his rookie deal, "betting on himself."

Are you referring to the deal that was Dak was supposedly offered before the start of last season? That was rumored to be $30M per over 5 seasons. That was less than what Wilson was offered. The rumor that was leaked is that after the first 3 games he agent re-negged on the deal because Dak put up great stats against 3 crappy teams. Allegedly that’s when the Jones pulled their offer.

That was all leaked by the Cowboys so take it with a grain of salt. It could have been bad advice by Dak’s agent or it could just be the Jones’ leaking bad info to make Dak look greedy. We will never know that for sure.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You are correct - we had to wait until the league-mandated 3 years was over. We offered that contract right before the 2019 season.

Right before he won the first 3 games of the season. That’s when his agent allegedly re-negged on the verbal agreement.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
3619860d4eaec0d399e1bd8ae3c47812.jpg

Reactions: MrB

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If Jerry (and Stephen) were really sold on Dak they would have signed him. Money or years would not have been an issue. Can you name 1 player that Jerry wanted to keep and didn’t sign (when cap space was available)?

Money wasn't the issue though and that was reported several times, it's making the cap charge work by writing the deal for the proper amount of years.

He should have signed the deal he was offered over a year ago and didn't because of really bad advice from his agents. Not because Jerry or Stevie weren't sold on him and didn't make a strong enough offer.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
MM Doesn’t seem happy his players are talking shit

“I think you do have to recognize it,'' said McCarthy after being asked about the report. "I really go back to my first meeting with the football team. I've always stated to every team I've coached, I think it's important to handle things as men. If you do have something to say publicly, I think it's important to say to the individual, particularly in a group setting. Especially in the game of football. That's all part of our development.

"You don't want to be stubborn (as a head coach) and do things just to do things. I think it's important for all of our players and coaches, and it's something I stated in our first meeting, let's just handle these things as men. 'Let's talk to one another. (I told them) 'I'm your guy.'

"I'll talk to anybody, in particular, in our inner circle. And I'll either agree or disagree with you. And I think that's important. At the end of the day it's about winning. We're in the business of putting players in a position to win."

The team's new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan has been under fire for the unit's historically poor performance through the first six games of the season. The Joneses' and McCarthy have pointed to the fact that Nolan's scheme is different than the previous regime's, and because they didn't have a normal offseason or training camp, implementing it became more complicated.

“Definitely. It’s a change," McCarthy said when asked if the players believe in Nolan's scheme. "Frankly, we’re in the infant stages of it. ... That’s part of these first-year challenges."
Other teams hired new coaches and are not playing this bad defensively.

I don't see how any defense can play this bad regardless of who is on the field. The scheme is definitely fllwed and sux, but there is also lack of effort and an appearance of players already quitting IMO. Combine the two, and you get what we see every week.

The above said, even with the right effort the defense would still be garbage. Nolan is just a terrible DC.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
See, very nonchalant.

Yep, out of touch with reality. it's why things have stayed the same since the day Jimmy left the building.

Parcells helped get some of the culture changed and definitely impacted how the dumbass family looked at the draft and scouting process, but for the most part its been the same ol same ol under the Hee Haw family.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Plus we forget they made him a very generous long term offer after his 2nd year. Nobody does that if they're not sure you're the guy.

They're sure he's the guy. The guy for winning or the guy for tubthumping, open question.

They made him an offer in his 4th year, or after his 3rd full season. He was drafted in 2016 and played that season. The contract offer came in 2019 and he turned it down after a hot start. QB's with an 86 QB rating which he had in 2017 don't get big paydays.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You’re absolutely right. I thought they would cave. I fully expected them to overpay (for the market at the time) and give him $35M-$40M. I was saying that all during the off season. I was surprised they didn’t. That just proves to me that they are not completely sold on him. The Jones’ are not know for low balling. If anything they have always caved and over payed to keep players they want. Money has never been an issue. And if they REALLY thought Dak was their franchise QB of the future they would have broken the bank on a 4 year deal like Dak allegedly wanted. The fact that they didn’t do whatever or spend whatever tells me they are not 100% in on Dak.

Like I said though, maybe Dak missing this season convinced them that he is the right guy but up until this season started they were not convinced.

Good post and I agree, especially about the impact of Dak missing the season on the Jones clan. There's still a lot of football to play but no one should be under any illusions that Dalton is a better QB than Dak.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
too bad the coaches since 2018 havent taught him how to carry the ball :(

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
theyre talking about the cowboys right now with albert breer on 98.5 sports hub

talked about the leak on coaching

said that its a huge indictment on mccarthy. he was brought in as a "win now" coach. jerry didnt want to go the route of getting a young coach. then on monday night he was staring at that scenario and its looking pretty good. talking about kliff kingsbury. so this could possibly put the bug in jerrys ear to look at a guy like lincoln riley before hes gone

breer also said dak is 100% dallas's guy and will get signed

Top Bottom