English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Obviously, we should enjoy yesterday's crazy win, but I've just noticed that the Seahawks are next up. Through 2 weeks Russell Wilson is 52/63 for 610 yards, with 9 TDs against 1 INT - giving him a rating of 140.0. We might need to score 50 to win this one.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score

When it was kicked I thought the ball was going to struggle to go 5 yards let alone 10. I guess the Falcons players thought the same. I suppose one of them could and perhaps should have dived on it before it went 10 yards, but they were probably scared of doing a Leon Lett and muffing it, making a dead ball live.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I suppose one of them could and perhaps should have dived on it before it went 10 yards
Once the ball leaves the kicker's foot it is a live ball for the receiving team. They don't have to wait for squat.

Explanations I've seen range from "we were supposed to block" to "thought it was gonna die."

The coach says they practice this and the front guys are supposed to wall off the kicking team if the ball pops up, if it squibbles on the ground they're supposed to pounce.

I bet they go over it again this week. Heh. The ball is kind of important in that situation.

(still chuckling)

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Once the ball leaves the kicker's foot it is a live ball for the receiving team. They don't have to wait for squat.

Explanations I've seen range from "we were supposed to block" to "thought it was gonna die."

The coach says they practice this and the front guys are supposed to wall off the kicking team if the ball pops up, if it squibbles on the ground they're supposed to pounce.

I bet they go over it again this week. Heh. The ball is kind of important in that situation.

(still chuckling)

I think they also thought it was going to be a traditional on-side kick where it goes up in the air. That’s why they had their hands guys (like Julio) on the second level. So the guys they had on the first level are guys that usually just block. What kills me is that they even took a timeout and Greg never repositioned the ball. They had plenty of chances to put their hands team up front.

Also am I correct in saying that even if a Falcons player had touched the ball (prior to going 10 yards) and a Cowboys player recovered it, the ball would still go to the Falcons because it never went 10 yards on the kick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Also am I correct in saying that even if a Falcons player had touched the ball (prior to going 10 yards) and a Cowboys player recovered it, the ball would still go to the Falcons because it never went 10 yards on the kick
If the receiving team flubs it before the 10 yards it is a live ball for all.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think they also thought it was going to be a traditional on-side kick where it goes up in the air. That’s why they had their hands guys (like Julio) on the second level. So the guys they had on the first level are guys that usually just block.
The coach explained it. The ball is not predictable no matter how it is kicked. So the front guys block if the ball pops up, they pounce on it if it doesnt.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score

(still chuckling)
I think they thought it was going to die, and therefore wouldn't have to do squat, and by the time they realised they'd goofed and it was going to trickle 10 yards CJ Goodwin was already on top of it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think they thought it was going to die, and therefore wouldn't have to do squat, and by the time they realised they'd goofed and it was going to trickle 10 yards CJ Goodwin was already on top of it.
That's one of the explanations one of the players gave.

It was a Jedi Mind Trick kick. In their heads they were hearing, "this is not the ball you're looking for."

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
That's one of the explanations one of the players gave.

It was a Jedi Mind Trick kick. In their heads they were hearing, "this is not the ball you're looking for."
Have any of you guys seen this 'helicopter' style onside kick without a tee done before? I don't think I have. Very inventive I thought.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

If you notice that by the time the ball started to curve towards 10 yards Goodwin was standing between the ball and the sideline (so they couldn’t just knock it out of bounds), and the only hands guy near was Julio who could have dove for it but hesitated and then it was too late.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Have any of you guys seen this 'helicopter' style onside kick without a tee done before? I don't think I have. Very inventive I thought.

I’ve seen them place the ball like that when they are going to squib kick it down the middle of the field but never on an on-side kick.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I doubt it was anywhere close but here's how the locker room speech post game should have gone...

"Great comeback, hell of a job to keep fighting, hell of a win. But if we start out that shitty next week, you won't get the chance to do it again. Russell Wilson will snap your necks with his foot and have his linemen start throwing dirt on top of your broken assess. Now go shower...."

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Pretty improbable win to say the least.

I don't think I've seen a team play so inept for 25-30 minutes. Bad play, bad mistakes, horrendous gambles etc etc. It was all there.

And then they find a way to win a game they had no business winning. I felt like we played a Jason Garrett coached team.

dbair. You're in Atlanta, right? What's the mood like there on this fine Monday?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's been around, it's called a watermelon kick. But it doesn't always spin like that. The ball is completely unpredictable squiggling along the deck.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Raiders new "Death Star" stadium is amazing.

Shit

I was on a phone with a client and completely forgot about the game

I wanted to see the pregame and lead up to it so I could see whatever hype type video they had for the new stadium

DC4LIF

Spectator
Reaction score
The Raiders new "Death Star" stadium is amazing.

Looks like the Raiders took a chapter out of J.Jones’s book & offered personalized memorial pavers for sale to their fans to be placed around the stadium.

Did any of y’all happen to get in on that when they were building AT&T stadium ?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Looks like the Raiders took a chapter out of J.Jones’s book & offered personalized memorial pavers for sale to their fans to be placed around the stadium.

Did any of y’all happen to get in on that when they were building AT&T stadium ?

I didn’t. I have toured the stadium twice though. The Cowboys practice facility in Frisco, Tx is badass too.

Top Bottom