Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
ed51b58bac4ba60f2517a620298faf35.jpg

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This article is very deceiving and also factually incorrect. The article states "the state's COVID-19 death rate is among the worst in the world." This is simply not true. ND's death rate is 953 per million in population. SD's is 702. In the US, NJ is the worst at 1873 and NY is second at 1747. ND ranks 8 in the US and SD ranks 21st! In the world, NY and NJ would rank 1 and 2 as well. To argue that these two small states have it so bad while ignoring the two east coast states is extremely dishonest. But why would someone write an article this inaccurate and deceiving?

Because the governors of these two states have defied the user if government authority to remove liberty from the people. Christie Noem is a potential presidential candidate for 2024. The media is helping Democrats already to destroy her. She has said she will not use any state resources to police and federal mandates to wear masks or otherwise curtail freedom in her state. So, she must be punished and the media jumped right on that with this article.

The authors blame Sturgis, the big bike rally that takes place every year which was held in August. Once again, an event was blamed for spreading COVID-19, but all the riots and protests - and recent celebrations of the election result - are never a reason for spread. This is not just hypocrisy. It is dishonesty. It is propaganda because it is an attempt to shape the way people think to suit an agenda.
Actually, here's the exact quote I believe you were looking at:
"North Dakota's COVID-19 death rates per capita in the past week are similar to those in the hardest-hit countries in the world right now – Belgium, the Czech Republic and Slovenia – according to New York Times data. That data as of Saturday also places South Dakota's per capita deaths among the world's highest rates.

And there's nowhere in the U.S. where COVID-19 deaths are more common than in the Dakotas, according to data published by The COVID Tracking Project.

It's a situation “as bad as it gets anywhere in the world," Dr. William Haseltine told USA TODAY."

Yes, NY and NJ have worse overall stats, but they got hit harder and faster than the Dakotas did. We had time to prepare, and what happened? Bars and restaurants mostly shut down voluntarily for about six weeks several months ago, and goverment in general, Noem in particular did nothing. She talked nonstop about what a great job South Dakotans have done "under her leadership." Sitting on your hands and saying "you do you" isn't leadership, it's giving yourself an out. And not even a good one, since more people than not refuse to wear masks unless it's somewhere that will enforce it to the max. Otherwise they either wear it in the door, take it off and laugh about it on social media, or don't go there and bitch about how they're trying to restrict their freedoms.
Noem doesn't even encourage masks, and definately no wearing them herself, even avoids them when touring facilities that require them. She's talked repeatedly about supplying people with the "science"; that just means telling everyone on repeat how low the death rate is. Or should I say was, up to 219 deaths now in the last 15 days.
Noem's not a leader, barely a governor. She spends most of her time these days either filming tourism videos or schilling for Trump, hoping she can become his Little Orphan Annie. Was the article 100% factual? I couldn't say without putting more research into it than I have the anger management for. But trust me, any crap she gets from the media is more than deserved.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Biden’s Covid team is already suggesting that a 4-6 week shutdown is a possibility

As a small business owner that scares the shit out of me

It's definitely coming, whether it's needed or not.

The extreme left wants this economy to crash and burn, and they know a 2nd shutdown is likely to create utter chaos.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Canada's Govt. has already authorized "camps" to be built in every province to house people that test positive for the virus...

So have some other countries.

This shit is getting beyond ridiculous.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Elon Musk had 4 tests in the same day, at the same facility and from the same nurse. And two were positive and two were negative.

I saw that too

Maybe the same people who have been counting the positive tests are the same ones who counted Biden ballots for the election

Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Actually, here's the exact quote I believe you were looking at:
"North Dakota's COVID-19 death rates per capita in the past week are similar to those in the hardest-hit countries in the world right now – Belgium, the Czech Republic and Slovenia – according to New York Times data. That data as of Saturday also places South Dakota's per capita deaths among the world's highest rates.

And there's nowhere in the U.S. where COVID-19 deaths are more common than in the Dakotas, according to data published by The COVID Tracking Project.

It's a situation “as bad as it gets anywhere in the world," Dr. William Haseltine told USA TODAY."

Yes, NY and NJ have worse overall stats, but they got hit harder and faster than the Dakotas did. We had time to prepare, and what happened? Bars and restaurants mostly shut down voluntarily for about six weeks several months ago, and goverment in general, Noem in particular did nothing. She talked nonstop about what a great job South Dakotans have done "under her leadership." Sitting on your hands and saying "you do you" isn't leadership, it's giving yourself an out. And not even a good one, since more people than not refuse to wear masks unless it's somewhere that will enforce it to the max. Otherwise they either wear it in the door, take it off and laugh about it on social media, or don't go there and bitch about how they're trying to restrict their freedoms.
Noem doesn't even encourage masks, and definately no wearing them herself, even avoids them when touring facilities that require them. She's talked repeatedly about supplying people with the "science"; that just means telling everyone on repeat how low the death rate is. Or should I say was, up to 219 deaths now in the last 15 days.
Noem's not a leader, barely a governor. She spends most of her time these days either filming tourism videos or schilling for Trump, hoping she can become his Little Orphan Annie. Was the article 100% factual? I couldn't say without putting more research into it than I have the anger management for. But trust me, any crap she gets from the media is more than deserved.

The article takes a snapshot in time and uses it to slam ND and SD. This is indefensible. We are 10 months into this pandemic and for 10 months these two states were ignored. Their response to the virus has not changed in 10 months and it is not fair to ignore the entire 10 months except for the past week or two. But this is what the media has done, whether it is to ignore the rest of the world to make the US look worse, or ignore certain states to make others look bad.

That this defense of NY and NJ because they were hit early is more dishonesty. The fact is Washington and California had the first outbreaks. Washington experience the first cluster of deaths in an acute care facility weeks before NY and NJ began their massive outbreak. Both states were warned on March 16 to shut down. But NY waited until March 20th. Until then people were still commuting to NYC to go to work. The subways and schools were still open. Bars and restaurants were still serving patrons in doors. Airports were still allowing thousands of travelers from infected regions to enter the country. This delay gave the virus more than enough time to spread, and NYC never shut down the subways. Then, despite the deaths in a Washington acute care facility, the governors of NY and NJ authorized COVID-19 patients to be sent to nursing homes that were not prepared to isolate them from other residents. That resulted in the huge death tolls experienced in those states.

You cannot criticize governors of red states and ignore the mistakes that were made in blue states. Today, ND and SD have two of the lowest fatality rates in the country. ND is 41st and SD is 46th. Again,, we are 10 months into this, it didn't start last week.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You cannot criticize governors of red states and ignore the mistakes that were made in blue states. Today, ND and SD have two of the lowest fatality rates in the country. ND is 41st and SD is 46th. Again,, we are 10 months into this, it didn't start last week.
Nobody's ignoring anything except for Noem. Did being "hands off" work for a time? You could make the arguement. You could also see when everything was beginning to go sideways, which is the point a "leader" adjusts their approach to compensate. She didn't then and still won't now, and that's why this is now the shitshow that it is.
And I'm not criticizing her because she's the governor of a red state, I'm criticizing her as the governor of my state. Because I'm out working every day, seeing first hand what her so called handling of things has resulted in.

Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Nobody's ignoring anything except for Noem. Did being "hands off" work for a time? You could make the arguement. You could also see when everything was beginning to go sideways, which is the point a "leader" adjusts their approach to compensate. She didn't then and still won't now, and that's why this is now the shitshow that it is.
And I'm not criticizing her because she's the governor of a red state, I'm criticizing her as the governor of my state. Because I'm out working every day, seeing first hand what her so called handling of things has resulted in.
Noem is looking at the facts. The population density of SD is 46th in the country, at 11.1 people per sq. mile. What would be the point ins taking drastic action in that state compared to NJ, for example, with 1210 people per sq. mile? Even NJ, my home state, is adjusting some of its restrictions only where they see significant outbreaks, rather than across the entire state. I am not sure what you expect Noem or the governors of ND or Wyoming to do. Do you need the governor to tell order you to wear a mask, or social distance? Do you need cops to arrest you if you don't? Noem, and the governors of other low population states are doing what is appropriate for their states. The economy is not their fault, it is the fault of other states that have chosen to shut everything down. That has a domino effect.

The reality is, SD and ND are not alone in dealing with this virus. Look at Illinois. Despite mandates and everything else, right now it is dealing with one of the worst outbreaks in the country. The same is true in California, Michigan, and even NY, which is just beginning its second wave.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

What exactly would you have her (or others) do differently?

I get so sick of hearing the bitching and moaning about it, because the truth is there isn't much anyone on the face of the earth can do about this.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Noem, and the governors of other low population states are doing what is appropriate for their states.
Except that she's not, which is what I've been saying. Her approach, whether it worked or not in the beginning, is a hundred and ten percent not working now; if anything it's making it worse because of the political zombie sheep that 2020 has produced following her lead and thumbing their noses at anything that would require them to spend even a second doing something they don't want to do.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What exactly would you have her (or others) do differently?

I get so sick of hearing the bitching and moaning about it, because the truth is there isn't much anyone on the face of the earth can do about this.
I'd have her do her damn job, that's what. She spews the same rhetoric she has for months about how good a job she's doing, and gets all butthurt when she offers someone the opportunity to kiss her ring and they decline, otherwise she's a nonexistent entity. She checked out of actually being a governor months ago; her actual job is just a prop piece towards what she wants to do next. I may not like or agree with every single one of our state's reps, but the rest at least show up to work.

touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
Texas, Florida and South Dakota governors refuse lockdowns as coronavirus resurges

America’s Two Largest Republican States Announce They Will Have No More Lockdowns

Bold statements by these Governors. I guess a Pres. Biden will have to send in the Military to correct them after he orders a National Lockdown, which CA Gov. Newsom will gleefully cheerlead. For National Security blah blah blah reasons...

Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'd have her do her damn job, that's what. She spews the same rhetoric she has for months about how good a job she's doing, and gets all butthurt when she offers someone the opportunity to kiss her ring and they decline, otherwise she's a nonexistent entity. She checked out of actually being a governor months ago; her actual job is just a prop piece towards what she wants to do next. I may not like or agree with every single one of our state's reps, but the rest at least show up to work.

I believe the question was, what would you do differently? You say Noem should do her job, but how? What action should she take that you would approve?

Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Texas, Florida and South Dakota governors refuse lockdowns as coronavirus resurges

America’s Two Largest Republican States Announce They Will Have No More Lockdowns

Bold statements by these Governors. I guess a Pres. Biden will have to send in the Military to correct them after he orders a National Lockdown, which CA Gov. Newsom will gleefully cheerlead. For National Security blah blah blah reasons...
He can't order a national lockdown. He has no constitutional authority to do that. The courts have been ruling fairly consistently that governors have overstepped their authority in restricting liberty to stop CV-19. SC Justice Alito has signaled that he and other conservatives on the court believe liberty cannot be taken by executive order. If Biden wins, and he issues a national lockdown mandate, it will be in the courts within a day and the Republican governors who are resisting full lockdowns will win in the courts.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I believe the question was, what would you do differently? You say Noem should do her job, but how? What action should she take that you would approve?
Listen to all the science and all opinions, not just the ones that tell her what she wants to hear. Listen to the nurses in my family who work at hospitals that are understaffed for the amount of patients they're currently at. To the two biggest hospitals in the state, who are openly calling for a mandate. To the councils in 5 of the 6 biggest cities in the state who have passed their own mask mandates. To the two hospitals in the city I work in, who called local businesses this week, asking them to require masks of their employees and recommend them to customers because they're closing in or already at capacity.
Watch. Watch how many people who take the "personal responsibility" she touts people for having as personal freedom to do what they want and forget everyone else. How many hospitals are at or near full, and even if they aren't there aren't enough staff to keep up. Her whole thing at the start was about not stopping it but making sure the hospitals could handle it. Well, right now they can't. If her goal this whole time isn't being met and seh won't even consider changing your approach to compensate, what's the reasoning?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, so basically you don't have a fucking clue either.

Noted.

Top Bottom