Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Here in Texas this Friday May 1st we will be allowing restaurants to open inside, movie theaters and all retail outlets including shopping malls. All with only 25% occupancy allowed.

And no facial coverings mandated except in counties where it already applies. The rest are recommended. Which means if you’re reckless or irresponsible feeling invincible or a Trumpster rebelling following the propaganda narrative , you’re free to place everyone else at a higher risk.

Opening up retail outlets and malls appears reasonable as local grocers and big box retailers like Walmart, Sams , Costco, Home Depo and Lowe’s are already open as essential businesses.

Not sure why movie theatres fell into this group of reopening?Like a bar seems kind last place I’d want to be confined for several hours with potential infected carriers of the virus.

I’m not sure if there will be many attending a movie. And not sure all restaurants will open as many are doing an adequate business with take out or drive thru which doesn’t threat their employees.

The only restaurants which have closed are the ones where an employee was infected. And this is probably what will transpire. I’m hopeful most will stay away from going inside and stick to take out.

touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
Here in Texas this Friday May 1st we will be allowing restaurants to open inside, movie theaters and all retail outlets including shopping malls. All with only 25% occupancy allowed.

Does this also include Adult movie theaters?? (Asking for a friend).

Social distancing spacing sounds practical for a XXX theater, bty. 🍾

touchdown

Reaction score
I got a chuckle at this:

49831531596_94382ba3b3_n.jpg

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

And no facial coverings mandated except in counties where it already applies. The rest are recommended. Which means if you’re reckless or irresponsible feeling invincible or a Trumpster rebelling following the propaganda narrative , you’re free to place everyone else at a higher risk.

Opening up retail outlets and malls appears reasonable as local grocers and big box retailers like Walmart, Sams , Costco, Home Depo and Lowe’s are already open as essential businesses.

Not sure why movie theatres fell into this group of reopening?Like a bar seems kind last place I’d want to be confined for several hours with potential infected carriers of the virus.

I’m not sure if there will be many attending a movie. And not sure all restaurants will open as many are doing an adequate business with take out or drive thru which doesn’t threat their employees.

The only restaurants which have closed are the ones where an employee was infected. And this is probably what will transpire. I’m hopeful most will stay away from going inside and stick to take out.

Do you not think there are other virus floating around out there? You can't completely protect yourself from bugs and viruses that already exist. And no, restaurants are not making it with takeout, no more than Dominoes can make it with sit down service. Some businesses are not set up for this type of service.

People are just not thinking this thing through. It's not just restaurants and bars but our panicked response to this virus will affect many sectors of our economy that we haven't even considered. When one area of the economy breaks down, it'll have a drastic impact on another.

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Do you not think there are other virus floating around out there? You can't completely protect yourself from bugs and viruses that already exist. And no, restaurants are not making it with takeout, no more than Dominoes can make it with sit down service. Some businesses are not set up for this type of service.

People are just not thinking this thing through. It's not just restaurants and bars but our panicked response to this virus will affect many sectors of our economy that we haven't even considered. When one area of the economy breaks down, it'll have a drastic impact on another.
True but this is a novel virus with no current treatment or vaccination with the potential of overwhelming our healthcare system.

Most of our everyday restaurants are surviving with take out and curbside. Certainly there’s a segment of finer dining not set up to handle this demand.

The partial shutdowns were put in place to limit not only the effects on our healthcare system but the long term effects on our economy which is dependent on consumer spending driven by their confidence.

This virus is on its own schedule . There is no flipping a switch returning to the identical normalcy we had before at this time. The sooner we accept the realities and prepare our communities for the new normal with plans to restore consumer confidence the quicker our economy can begin to overcome.

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
The flu has killed 100 more people this year, than this weak shit. Where's the flu hysteria? Oh yeah... We have a VACCINE for that which is about 45 percent effective, so it's okay. No hysteria or panic needed.
I’m trying to recall when we had refrigeration trucks stored outside hospitals for body bags and mass grave burials for the annual flu.

The continued talking points to belittle Covid-19 when the final results aren’t in yet present a premature narrative to support a propaganda agenda.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I’m trying to recall when we had refrigeration trucks stored outside hospitals for body bags and mass grave burials for the annual flu.

The continued talking points to belittle Covid-19 when the final results aren’t in yet present a premature narrative to support a propaganda agenda.
How dare anyone pick on and belittle poor ole helpless Covid-19!

It's a fact we have 10s of 1000s die annually from flu and its a fact that these deaths are accepted and our system is capable of dealing with it. But, do keep cheering this coronavirus on like a ******. Do everything you can to protect its reputation from the meanies out here!

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
True but this is a novel virus with no current treatment or vaccination with the potential of overwhelming our healthcare system.

Most of our everyday restaurants are surviving with take out and curbside. Certainly there’s a segment of finer dining not set up to handle this demand.

The partial shutdowns were put in place to limit not only the effects on our healthcare system but the long term effects on our economy which is dependent on consumer spending driven by their confidence.

This virus is on its own schedule . There is no flipping a switch returning to the identical normalcy we had before at this time. The sooner we accept the realities and prepare our communities for the new normal with plans to restore consumer confidence the quicker our economy can begin to overcome.

Blue, we'll just be on opposite ends of the spectrum but I'll tell you this. My family and friends are in the restaurant business in Eastern PA. They are not surviving and most are closed. Diners weren't made for takeout exclusively and their business model, for the most part, is based on fair and reasonable pricing with a high volume of customers. Most went from making thousands of dollars a day in revenue to a couple of hundred. That won't cover your payroll, lease, utilities, food costs, etc. Most of my family and friends tried to hang tough but they couldn't do it.

The damage to economy is going to be extensive. Small businesses will not just open up and expect to stay open with social distancing. This will affect suppliers, employees and various segments of the economy. Mark my words. Mortgage and lease obligations will not be met and will have to be renegotiated for businesses to stay afloat which, in turn, is going to depreciate property values, which, in turn, will affect how banks give loans because the appraisal value, post virus, is going to be shit. If someone is in financial distress, the logical solution is to sell but since the property values took a hit, the sale may not cover the existing mortgage amount. It's a vicious, vicious cycle.

Farms are shutting down because they can't move their food products like eggs and produce. These farms have been around for years and through multiple generations. Businesses with financial obligations can't wait it out. They can't adapt to this type of situation where you're going to cut their customer/consumer base in half, if not more. Day care centers will close, small businesses that pitch outdoor tents and entertainment will close because no one is going to throw a party with dozens of people; banquet halls will struggle to survive as a 200, 300 plus person wedding probably won't happen. Summer fairs, carnivals and food truck vendors that relied on their summer business will take a hit. We can sit here and think of business after business that are going to suffer. Even Mom and Pop doctor's offices may not make it and a virtual appointment won't cut it and is a poor substitute for an in-person visit. Airlines, cruise-lines, rental car companies, oil and gas companies will all be affected. It wouldn't surprise me if some of them go bankrupt. Airlines can take out seats but they'd have to charge double, triple or more to break even so many folks just won't fly because it won't be cost effective. So many sectors of society will be affected.

Now, I've seen the threads on the other board and all the BS back and forth. Quite frankly, people that discuss small businesses as if they can survive in this boondoggle don't know a damn thing about small business. Banks may defer mortgages for a couple of months but that bill is still going to come due. Property taxes, school taxes, local taxes.....they will not be forgiven and the tax man will want his money and doesn't give two shits that a business owner can't pay it. I could go on and on......

Last edited:

touchdown

Reaction score
We had some strong storms and high winds move through the DFW area late last night.

Today, the sun was shining, 74F, and with the Covid-19 stay at home orders still in effect, the result was beautiful blue skies like I remember here as a child.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The politicians here are pushing every button possible to get things opened again. The governor isn't putting anything in place for restrictions, leaving it up instead to the town's local leaders, or as she put it, "giving the power to the people. "
I hate to break it to her, but the people are idiots. That the numbers here aren't worse is pure luck, 'cause they don't social distance for shit, and I guarantee half the old folks I see out and about when I'm working don't wash their hands after the bathroom, much less in a pandemic.
I won't pretend to know the right answer, because I don't think there is one. But whatever plan you choose, in my opinion trusting in people as a whole to be smart, reasonable and rational isn't the best and brightest idea.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
How dare anyone pick on and belittle poor ole helpless Covid-19!

It's a fact we have 10s of 1000s die annually from flu and its a fact that these deaths are accepted and our system is capable of dealing with it. But, do keep cheering this coronavirus on like a ******. Do everything you can to protect its reputation from the meanies out here!

gotta give an extra LOL for this one

touchdown

Reaction score
I don't have to anymore play around with the IRS "Where's My Payment" site to see if it's got a status for me....

My Stimulus money was direct deposited into my bank yesterday. The same account I get my monthly SS payments deposited to.

:)

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
what i wanna know is the extra $600 in unemployment

i always thought that it would be an extra $600 to help make the difference between unemployment and your actual check, but i know people who are getting unemployment + $600 CLEAR, and its more then they made when they were employed

we are still working because we are in the home repair category, so thank god for that. but our guys have wives sitting at home who are laid off and getting paid MORE THAN THEIR REGULAR WAGE to stay home.

wtf is this ?

Top Bottom