touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
3tilfm.jpg

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
First ones here in the very sparsely populated Texas Panhandle. Two in MY county!
LOL Yes we are. Zombies are a fictional construct.
I'm not so positive. Hell, there's times until I get get through the ipad that I already think my preteen is one...

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
massachusetts has imposed a shelter-in-place starting tomorrow at 12 pm until april 7th.

all businesses are closed with the exception of the "essential businesses"

not sure if we will be staying open at work. we are small construction company, but we GC stuff too. we're installing a new metal storage building at a storage facility. the storage facility can remain open even tho it is not an essential business.

plumbers, electricians, inspectors, and exterminators can remain open

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
These governors are scumbags. They are rehearsing for a future presidential run. In addition, I'd bet Cornavirus will kill less people in Illinois than the gun violence will.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Below is a spreadsheet I started to project the potential total number of people with the virus by 4/20 (it projects close to 7 million) assuming a 35% spread rate.

Its ahead of schedule so far:

vU9BWTk.png

Deaths from the virus should be a more accurate number than the total number of people who have the virus since they are easier to count and are a known quantity

The fatality rate based on the figures above is .0118%

But there is "good news" because the actual number of people with the virus is understated due to lack of testing and being able to accurately collect this data.

Therefore the actual fatality rate is overstated, hopefully this proves to be by a lot and the true fatality rate is pushed down significantly!

Hope everyone is finding a way to "enjoy" their staycation!

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Below is a spreadsheet I started to project the potential total number of people with the virus by 4/20 (it projects close to 7 million) assuming a 35% spread rate.

Its ahead of schedule so far:

vU9BWTk.png

Deaths from the virus should be a more accurate number than the total number of people who have the virus since they are easier to count and are a known quantity

The fatality rate based on the figures above is .0118%

But there is "good news" because the actual number of people with the virus is understated due to lack of testing and being able to accurately collect this data.

Therefore the actual fatality rate is overstated, hopefully this proves to be by a lot and the true fatality rate is pushed down significantly!

Hope everyone is finding a way to "enjoy" their staycation!

I have absolutely no doubt this will spread and, unfortunately, people will die. We go though this just about every year with the flu and went through a pandemic 10 years ago where we didn't shut down the country and destroy the economy. The level of panic is insane and I didn't see it 10 years ago.

A quick Google search of Swine Flu or H1N1 Pandemic revealed an estimated 11–21% of the global population at the time — or around 700 million–1.4 billion people (out of a total of 6.8 billion) — contracted the illness – more than the number of people infected by the Spanish flu pandemic, with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities.

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the H1N1 virus.

We're freaking out with the current numbers but what's going to happen when we hit the numbers we did 10 years ago? And we probably will. But I didn't see "score" trackers on TV giving us the day by day infection and death totals 10 years ago. The virus is real but the panic is man made and media created. And all this in an election year which will neutralize Trump's economic talking points. We literally had to destroy the country in an attempt to keep this man from getting re-elected. Never let a crisis go to waste.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We're freaking out with the current numbers but what's going to happen when we hit the numbers we did 10 years ago? And we probably will. But I didn't see "score" trackers on TV giving us the day by day infection and death totals 10 years ago. The virus is real but the panic is man made and media created. And all this in an election year which will neutralize Trump's economic talking points. We literally had to destroy the country in an attempt to keep this man from getting re-elected. Never let a crisis go to waste.
Timing is a problem. Ideally they would want this to start around mid June. Problem is, heat kills these things. So it had to be launched in Dec-Jan in hopes it will keep their weak candidates out of the news and blunt Trump's appeal. Problem with that though is heat kills these things, and this shit goes away in August, the economy rebounds astoundingly, and they've lost their bell cow.

It was a calculation.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I have absolutely no doubt this will spread and, unfortunately, people will die. We go though this just about every year with the flu and went through a pandemic 10 years ago where we didn't shut down the country and destroy the economy. The level of panic is insane and I didn't see it 10 years ago.

A quick Google search of Swine Flu or H1N1 Pandemic revealed an estimated 11–21% of the global population at the time — or around 700 million–1.4 billion people (out of a total of 6.8 billion) — contracted the illness – more than the number of people infected by the Spanish flu pandemic, with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities.

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the H1N1 virus.

it is strange, I was completely oblivious to the H1N1 as it occurred.

The fatality rate for H1N1 turned out to be 0.000205082236842% (12,469 deaths divided by 60.8 million afflicted)

The current C19 fatality rate using the figures I posted above is .0118% (likely less for the reasons described). Apply this rate to 60.8 million and you get 717,440 deaths

Twitter and Facebook weren't as prolific in 2009 either so news didn't spread as fast

I'm more inclined to believe its the nature of social media to be alarmist about seemingly everything coupled with a higher potential fatality rate & the real potential to overwhelm the health care system that is the cause for the reaction we see now vs an organized and planned crisis with the media in cahoots with the democrats to take out the economy in order to get rid of Trump. But I dont doubt some of them would if they could

touchdown

Reaction score
Olympics Postponed Due To COVID-19 Pandemic

One week after it said that the COVID-19 pandemic would not delay the Tokyo Summer Games, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced on Monday that the event has been postponed, most likely until 2021.

touchdown

Reaction score
I got lucky today at the Supermarket this afternoon. I saw people with TP in their carts, and I headed back to that area, and found two clerks stocking shelves with the 18 roll Scott 1,000s.

Cases of the water I like were also in stock. And the organic bananas were there, though most were green, and not ready eat yet.

The hand sanitizer shelves were still empty. There was a security guard at the entrance, and the exit only doors were locked. The guard may have been counting people coming and going, but there was no wait line to get in.

For the "rationed" items, the store policy is now down from 3 of each item/pkg to 1 each person, or family group shopping together - No exceptions.

Home Depot --- The city has enacted a 100 person maximum in that box store. So there was a line of about 20, mostly construction workers standing outside, waiting for their turn to enter. The middle front of the store, where you usually exit was closed off to entry, with a store employee monitoring that. The regular entry was closed off all together. But, I walked over to the entrance to the Garden section, and it was open. As I approached the door that led into the main store, there was line of 6 people. I waited maybe 4-5 minutes before I was allowed to enter that part of the store.

InternetKing

The Elite :-P
Reaction score
Top Bottom