Reaction score

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He has?

Good coaches:
Jimmy Johnson, who he knew from playing college football with
Bill Parcells, desperate to fix team and get stadium vote passed. ran him out first chance he got

Bad coaches:
Barry Switzer, college coach who ran the wishbone, broke a ton of rules, and had no NFL experience
Chan Gailey, decent coordinator, meh head coach
Dave Campo, a ridiculous man and even worse coach
Wade Phillips, great defensive mind, horrible head coach
Jason Garrett, a huge fraud

I'd put Wade above bad but below good --- just in between.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He has?

Good coaches:
Jimmy Johnson, who he knew from playing college football with
Bill Parcells, desperate to fix team and get stadium vote passed. ran him out first chance he got

Bad coaches:
Barry Switzer, college coach who ran the wishbone, broke a ton of rules, and had no NFL experience
Chan Gailey, decent coordinator, meh head coach
Dave Campo, a ridiculous man and even worse coach
Wade Phillips, great defensive mind, horrible head coach
Jason Garrett, a huge fraud

Yes he has. Twice. And only twice, that's why I only named Jimmy and Parcels

I never said he has hired more good than bad coaches. I was just responded to yimyammer in his believe that Jerry is incapable of finding a good coach.

Yes there have way more bad than good. But he has hired to real good coaches.

If he wants to win a Super Bowl before he does he needs to look for one that can win, and not just one he can puppeteer like all the others. Hopefully he realizes that before it's too late. Either that or he drops dead tomorrow. Either scenario would be appreciated

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I never said he has hired more good than bad coaches. I was just responded to yimyammer in his believe that Jerry is incapable of finding a good coach.

I probably wasn't clear, what I was trying to convey is that jerri refuses to hire a good coach and give him the power, control and freedom to be the best he can be.

I believe the only type of coach that he will hire is one that makes him feel comfortable, will accept drastically limited authority, doesn't have a set of balls like Jimmy or Parcels, won't care that jerri will undermine him in the media and elsewhere, won't care that jerri will take credit for his work, will not be stymied or dismayed when jerri forces a player on him, won't care when jerri refuses to allow discipline and consequences, won't care that jerri will allow players to go around the head coach and go directly to jerri with issues they don't agree with the coach on, etc, etc....I'm sure I'm forgetting many other issues.

So while jerri is capable of finding and hiring a good coach, I don't believe a good coach would take the job with the conditions that jerri demands. Thats why the guys he tends to hire (aside from Jimmy and Parcels) are guys that are not likely to be hired anywhere and are just thrilled at the chance to be a head coach anywhere.

The Cowboys deserve the best coaching but I don't believe jerri will allow it nor does he value it.

Hopefully that was more clear.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Never say never. He was the only potential buyer at the time who was willing to fire Tom Landry and his out of date offense/defense and had the plan in place to bring in Jimmy
We covered this misnomer already. TEX had the plan to bring in Jimmy and in fact had been courting him since at least 1986. All Jerry did was the total no-brainer of hiring the hottest young, national championship winning college coach that he also happened to somewhat know. (But not nearly as much as is generally believed) Read Jimmy's book, "Turning the thing around" and get it first hand.

Jerry gets NO credit for bringing Jimmy in.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
This whole Hardy situation is starting to remind me of the 2009 season when we brought in PacMan Jones and he went off the reservation not that long after being a Cowboy ie the bathroom at the club incident. Jerry then made all sorts of excuses for that behavior.

I think we're going to look back on this season like back then and be like wtf happened?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
It's pretty scary that Jerry would try to persuade the public that shoving people around is somehow a leadership quality.

That looks like bullying to me.

If this isn't the final proof that Garrett has been totally and utterly neutered then I don't know what is. I don't think this behavior is something Coach K highlighted to him.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
We covered this misnomer already. TEX had the plan to bring in Jimmy and in fact had been courting him since at least 1986. All Jerry did was the total no-brainer of hiring the hottest young, national championship winning college coach that he also happened to somewhat know. (But not nearly as much as is generally believed) Read Jimmy's book, "Turning the thing around" and get it first hand.

Jerry gets NO credit for bringing Jimmy in.

Yeah, the two barely associated while they were in Dallas.

You could glean that from Boys Will Be Boys too. The Super Bowl after-party where Jimmy snubbed Jerry ie the final nail in that coffin. They were sitting at different tables with their own group of friends.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah, the two barely associated while they were in Dallas.

You could glean that from Boys Will Be Boys too. The party where Jimmy snubbed Jerry ie the final nail in that coffin. They were sitting at different tables with their own group of friends.
Yeah Jerri wasn't in Jimmy's world at all. Other than the occasional phone call. Even during his time in Dallas, Jimmy didn't run in Jerri's circles.

While Jerri was parlaying his father's wealth into just enough money to scrape together to try to buy a team, Jimmy was in the trenches eating bologna and moving from coaching job to coaching job - and learning football.

Jerri never saw anything resembling hard times and never worked a day in his life.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The only way a coach succeeds in Dallas is if he is given full control of player acquisition and coaching decision

Or Jerry dies and baby Jerry hires a real coach instead of a puppet

Unfortunately for us as fans we will have to wait for the latter because Jerry will never give full control to a real coach that he can't control

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Unfortunately for us as fans we will have to wait for the latter because Jerry will never give full control to a real coach that he can't control
He gets NO credit either for hiring Parcells, he bit the bullet and paid the Tuna's price merely to get the idiot voters of Arlington to approve the public part of the funding for the new stadium - it was purely a political move and not at all related to a desire to improve the product on the field.

Parcells revealed it was even in his contract, Jerry would get "credit" should they happen to pop up and win a Super Bowl. And when the idiot voters approved the stadium financing, Parcells and whatever he might have been building became optional to him as well.

Stop giving Jerry credit for anything. He borrowed and leveraged and sold assets with what little wealth he'd managed to turn his father's hard earned millions into, to barely scrape up the money to buy the team. Then, politician that he is, he got the other owners' approval.

He's just a stupid fucking hillbilly hayseed who bought a storied franchise and turned Jimmy loose with it, that is until the money and the Lombardis started rolling in. Then he decided he didn't need Jimmy any more.

And the team hasn't done jack shit since.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I hosted it on the server for posterity. Click to fucking play. If you don't see the player, just go to the link and it should play in your browser.

John in Plano:

"The day I step down, is the day I don't have the football team."

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
God I hate this son of a bitch. He cannot possibly die soon enough or horribly enough.

Reaction score
He gets NO credit either for hiring Parcells, he bit the bullet and paid the Tuna's price merely to get the idiot voters of Arlington to approve the public part of the funding for the new stadium - it was purely a political move and not at all related to a desire to improve the product on the field.

Parcells revealed it was even in his contract, Jerry would get "credit" should they happen to pop up and win a Super Bowl. And when the idiot voters approved the stadium financing, Parcells and whatever he might have been building became optional to him as well.

Stop giving Jerry credit for anything. He borrowed and leveraged and sold assets with what little wealth he'd managed to turn his father's hard earned millions into, to barely scrape up the money to buy the team. Then, politician that he is, he got the other owners' approval.

He's just a stupid fucking hillbilly hayseed who bought a storied franchise and turned Jimmy loose with it, that is until the money and the Lombardis started rolling in. Then he decided he didn't need Jimmy any more.

And the team hasn't done jack shit since.

Jerry is arguably the most powerful owner in all of pro sports. That says a lot in a cesspool of greedy billionaires. He's a jealous, conniving asshole, but he's certainly not stupid.

Top Bottom