C

Cr122

PFT: Tyron Smith-to-Cowboys chatter continues to pick up

Tyron Smith-to-Cowboys chatter continues to pick up
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 11, 2011, 5:39 PM EDT
When I read MMQB this morning, I considered doing a post on Peter King’s report that the Cowboys “do love” USC tackle Tyron Smith and that they are “seriously considering” taking him ninth overall.

King wasn’t the first to make the Smith-Cowboys connection. FOXSportsSouthwest.com mentioned it a few weeks back, and SI.com’s Tony Pauline said Smith was basically atop the Cowboys’ board.

We held off on posting King’s note for a little while because he was responsible for half the content on PFT this morning and we started to feel guilty about it. But now Gil Brandt of NFL.com gave us another reason to write about the topic.

Brandt wrote the Cowboys would “probably” take Smith if they are just looking for the best player at No. 9 overall, with defensive end J.J. Watt another possibility. Brandt doesn’t think the team will look for a defensive back.

Sometimes a certain team and player combination just gains momentum through the draft process. At this point, it would be a mild surprise if Smith wasn’t Dallas’ pick.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If Jason is really in charge I expect us to draft Smith. If Jerry is still in charge, he will have his scouts monitoring ESPN and the NFLNetwork. Once he realizes he isn't getting the desired face time, he will scramble, calling teams, and trade down regardless of it making sense for us or not.

sbk92

Reaction score
Garrett doesn't run the war room. The two Jones frauds do.

Now will Garrett get his way that week? I hope so. Not that I have any idea what kind of talent evaluator he is, but I do know the other two guys are complete dogshat.

sbk92

Reaction score
Jerry said "There won't be a player on the roster that Jason doesn't want."

Jerry didn't say "Jason will get every player he wants on this roster."

There's a difference.

C

Cr122

There's a difference.

18607.jpg

Reaction score

There's a difference.

No owner would guarantee every player the coach wants on the roster.

That's a foolish statement.

Saying there won't be any player on the roster that Jason doesn't want is the best statement an owner can make.

C

Cr122

No owner would guarantee every player the coach wants on the roster.

That's a foolish statement.

Saying there won't be any player on the roster that Jason doesn't want is the best statement an owner can make.

That's true.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If Jason is really in charge I expect us to draft Smith. If Jerry is still in charge, he will have his scouts monitoring ESPN and the NFLNetwork. Once he realizes he isn't getting the desired face time, he will scramble, calling teams, and trade down regardless of it making sense for us or not.

Unless Smith somehow goes before we have a chance to take him, I firmly believe he's the guy.

sbk92

Reaction score
Like I said before, I think it's just as likely that we trade down.

If we stay at 9, Smith's the guy. But I don't think it's a stretch to think some team won't convince Jerry to move out of that spot for the right deal.

It's 50/50 to me. The thought of Smith going in the top 8 doesn't really concern me. I don't think it's happening.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Like I said before, I think it's just as likely that we trade down.
If we stay at 9, Smith's the guy. But I don't think it's a stretch to think some team won't convince Jerry to move out of that spot for the right deal.

It's 50/50 to me. The thought of Smith going in the top 8 doesn't really concern me. I don't think it's happening.

You keep saying this like there's a basis in fact. Why is it likely that we trade down?

sbk92

Reaction score
That's true.

It's not true.

What Jerry is saying is I won't muscle in any guys over Garrett's head. (BTW, that's a hollow statement if it isn't written in the contract) But Garrett won't have full authority over his roster either. I'm still here to fake GM and act like I know something.

It's like when the great Bill Parcells was here. The head coach is being watered down by the lunatic owner.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's not true.

What Jerry is saying is I won't muscle in any guys over Garrett's head. (BTW, that's a hollow statement if it isn't written in the contract) But Garrett won't have full authority over his roster either. I'm still here to fake GM and act like I know something.

It's like when the great Bill Parcells was here. The head coach is being watered down by the lunatic owner.

Parcells was never watered down by the owner. Parcells ran the front office, made all the personnel decisions, hired and fired all the coaches and made all the game day decisions.

sbk92

Reaction score
Parcells was never watered down by the owner. Parcells ran the front office, made all the personnel decisions, hired and fired all the coaches and made all the game day decisions.

He absolutely was watered down by the owner. They admitted to the concessions both sides had to make when he was hired.

Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick never start here under Parcells without Jerry. We don't run the 4-3 defense either.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He absolutely was watered down by the owner. They admitted to the concessions both sides had to make when he was hired.

Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick never start here under Parcells without Jerry. We don't run the 4-3 defense either.

Dude, you are just wrong, again.

Parcells could have said he didnt want Zimmer here because he had no experience in the 3-4, a defense Parcells knew he'd eventually switch to. It was another dumb decision. Jones didnt "force" Zimmer on Parcells, he just wanted Parcells to talk to him before making a decision on him, and Parcells did that.

Top Bottom