ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
For you young guys that don't know the history of the DC's, Landry was just like Garrett with the type of things they do. It took 12 years for him to win a SB
I'm old enough to remember Landry at least a little, and he was nothing like Garrett.

The only way Garrett is remotely like Landry is he has a low-key, measured personality -- but so do zillions of people who know or care nothing about football. Otherwise, no comparison.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He is not a troll. He is a long time RL friend who I went to HS with. He's always believed Ginger would make a great coach. Can't fault him for his faith.

That's not faith, that's idiocy... especially in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Reaction score
Yeah why not just pay a professional actor/impersonator to be Landry then?

Garrett is a fraud with YouTube access and the ability to follow around actual great head coaches. That doesn't mean a damn thing. He does nothing to make the team better. Clearly. They just went 0-7 with him in charge instead of Romo.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
. For you young guys that don't know the history of the DC's, Landry was just like Garrett with the type of things they do. It took 12 years for him to win a SB

I was one of the few Garrett supporters in this forum for quite some time, but have come to grips with the fact that Garrett is simply not a good HC. Maybe he would make a better college coach, am not sure. He's had long enough here now for all to see that he is just not going to get it done. The 0-7 stretch this year with this roster is just monumentally bad, maybe one of the worst coaching jobs by any NFL coach in recent memory.

But he is NOT anything like Landry either from a pure leadership or tactical standpoint. Landry was a far better pure coach than Garrett will ever be. There's no way in hell we'd be 2-7 right now with this roster with Landry coaching in his prime.

Cdgreer

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Show me where you were calling for Garrett's head on a platter in November or December of 2014? Seems like some of you have short memories or don't understand how pro sports works in reality. I am all for change when needed but tell me what really needs changed in Dallas first. If this doesn't happen first another coach is not going to help.
It's brutal to have different thoughts on here. Lol.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Show me where you were calling for Garrett's head on a platter in November or December of 2014? Seems like some of you have short memories or don't understand how pro sports works in reality. I am all for change when needed but tell me what really needs changed in Dallas first. If this doesn't happen first another coach is not going to help.
It's brutal to have different thoughts on here. Lol.

Garrett isn't the only problem, the Jones enabler atmosphere certainly hurts.

Before this season, I thought one of the things you could say was a real positive about Garrett is he got the team to play hard and not give up regardless of the situation. This year I don't think you can make that case. Some, if not a lot of these guys are NOT playing hard and that's a direct reflection on him. If we were 0-7 strictly because of the backup QB, that would be one thing. But we're not. The backup QB play has not been bad in every game. This team constantly finds ways to lose, and the talent overall is too good for that to continue to happen. That's a direct reflection on the HC.

Cdgreer

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I agree with some things you say. If Red goes who comes in and does better or even win a SB? I think if ever the personnel gets corrected by JJ then Red has a better chance than most in getting DC to SB working for JJ. Still don't think Garrett needs to go. A year from now I may sing a different tune but not now.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Landry commanded respect and fear in his players!

Garret does not. Every player on the roster knows that if Garret says something they don't like they can just go talk to Jerry

If Garret was a decent coach his defense wouldn't end up gassed in the fourth quarter like they have so many times this season

There is never an excuse for you players to not be able to play 60 minutes of football! EVER! That is 100% on the coaches

Reaction score
Show me where you were calling for Garrett's head on a platter in November or December of 2014? Seems like some of you have short memories or don't understand how pro sports works in reality.

I've got a lot of posts on here and you're more than welcome to search my history. I guarantee I was wanting Garrett to be fired going into and throughout 2014.

We had a magical regular season, but that had more to do with playing a weak NFCE for six games, and a putrid AFCS for four games. Romo and Murray had MVP caliber seasons, our team stayed ridiculously healthy (our most notable injury was addition by subtraction - Claiborne), and we caught a number of improbable breaks (wide open TE drops ball that hit him in chest vs Stl Rams, 83 makes a ridiculous circus catch on third and 20 vs Seattle, Dez makes an improbable - even for Dez - catch in OT vs bad Houston team).

Prior to that, Garrett has had a franchise QB his entire tenure in Dallas and can never get above 8-8.

Cdgreer said:
If Red goes who comes in and does better or even win a SB?

Literally.... and I am in no way exageratting here... LITERALLY any current NFL Head Coach or Coordinator could do better. I fucking believe that.

0-7 with the talent we have on this roster - and we have talent - is inexcuseable. Fucking inexcuseable.

Tell me, when was the last time Garrett impressed you with a game plan? Impressed you with how he exploited a match up? Impressed you with an ingame adjustment? Can you think of anything? Or is your appreciation based solely on romanticisms of him being a former Cowboy and you really really like his message or how he handles the press? Because he brings nothing on game days other than mindless clapping.

Lastly... save me the "no one would do better." Listen, just because you're wife is a fat bitch, don't try to convince others than she's not that bad of a wife just because you're self esteem is so low you don't think you can find better.

All around the league coaches are doing more with less than what Jason Garrett has here in Dallas. DOn't feed me this BS that no one can do better.

Reaction score
And while I'm no historian, even I have enough sense to recognize that comparing Garrett to Landry is completely and utterly disrespectful to what Landry accomplished both prior to coaching Dallas, and in Dallas. Took 12 years to win.... bitch like Garrett took over a franchise team FFS.

God damn.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Landry has to this day the longest streak of winning seasons at 20

Garret barely has a winning record at 43-38

Tom Landry's record is 250-163-6 in 29 seasons. 20 of those seasons were consecutive winning seasons which is the current record.

Tom Landry had 6 loosing seasons as a head coach. 5 of them were when the team came into existence and he was building the team from scratch. The other loss was his last season. He also had Three 8-8 seasons and 20 winning seasons

Garret has had one winning season as head coach. Two if you count his first year when he took over the team midway thru the season. He has also had the same amount of 8-8 seasons as Landry at three. But Landry had three over 29 years not the 6 years Garret has

Reaction score
Holy fuck are people seriously comparing Landry and Garrett stats now?!

That's the stupidest comparison in the history of sports comparisons. I can't think of a dumber set of opposite coaches to compare. Maybe saying Belichick to Rich Kotite.

I guess you could apply this kind of stupid logic to anything though. Weeden and Joe Montana are equals. It's just that Montana had a better system and more time.

Garrett is awesome. It's just that he doesn't have 22 starting all-pro players. Give him time. He's building it.

Reaction score
Keep him and history shows teams that double down with coaches reap the benefits. For you young guys that don't know the history of the DC's, Landry was just like Garrett with the type of things they do. It took 12 years for him to win a SB

LOL

Yeah that doubling down thing certainly worked out with dbags like Andy Reid, Jeff Fisher and Denny Green. There's way more examples of coaches who have sucked or have been average for years and never learned or adjusted. Its doesn't take 10 years in today's NFL to break through.

Cdgreer

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Wow. People are douchbags on here. I respect your opinions for what you believe but bashing a persons belief is stupidity. No one wins these arguments. With Landry, all I said is they do similar things and it took 12 years for him to win the SB. "Lighten up Francis" One of the biggest points is that until JJ does something different not much will change in Dallas. If Red got fired there will be owners lined up to hire him. Only one way to find out as someone said before.....either he wins or gets fired and see what happens afterwards. Until then if you are a Cowboys fan you are stuck with him whether you like it or not. Keep bitching about it. It does no good.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
With Landry, all I said is they do similar things and it took 12 years for him to win the SB. .

While true, they did get to the Super Bowl the previous yr and had become a dominant team by the mid 60's, they just didn't get over the hump.

Further, he built a team from scratch without all the extra junk they give new franchises today. In fact I believe their first yr they didn't even have a 1st rd pick.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Landry was just like Garrett with the type of things they do.
Really no, he wasn't. Landry was a innovator not a copycat, and had very firm philosophy about football. Garrett does not, unless it's just air Coryell in spite of it just plain not working and never has, anywhere it's been tried. Didn't even get Coryell himself a ring.
Really? Is this not an opinion based website? Someone that is not on your damned high and mighty thought process means you bash someone? How idiotic is that. I do not state what I do not believe just to troll someone.
It's a locker room atmosphere, there's gonna be jabs and barbs. One thing most of the guys here dislike, is what they call "Homers" who basically just cheerlead. It's safe to ignore the barbs, jabs and bashing.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Comparing Red to Obama is quite a stretch there.
It's the same droning tone of all the same stuff they both say and how they phrase it. It's gotten SO bad with Garrett that sports talk radio in Dallas parodies him mercilessly. Ginger is just a empty suit with empty rhetoric and is completely ineffectual on game day. He MIGHT make a good assistant coach, but he is NOT a good HC. And that's not a knock - LOTS of coaches fit this meter.

Top Bottom