Reaction score
I'm not listing those coaches as options, I'm listing them as examples that contrast the "philosophy first" coaches like Garrett and even Holmgren. I'm saying that these are the prototypes of what Dallas needs and also what is working right now in the league. I'm sure there are still a few coaches who could play the modern game and still neutralize Jerry (which is a very good point).

Parcells actually understood the concept and had Carthon for running plays and Payton for passing. Young coordinators who had their fingers on the pulse of the current NFL....well actually, Payton had his finger on the pulse while more likely, Carthon had his elbow on the pulse. Still the right idea.

I think you've hit on something with the Parcells model.

Get a walk around head coach with gravitas who can both 1) hold his own with Jerry, and 2) find and hire that up-and-coming OC who brings cutting edge ideas to the offense.

Holmgren has gravitas. I don't know if he'd want to have other more nimble offensive minds influencing the offense. If so, he'd be exactly what the situation calls for.

There aren't that many other highly accomplished head coaching prospects who are likely available for hire. Bill Cowher, maybe? Cowher might be right if he were willing to be a walk around head coach...

And for those talking about Gruden, if I had to pick one, I'd go for Jay over Jon.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I dont have a clue who could coexist and change the atmosphere of this stuck in neutral franchise.

Not a big Tomlin fan. I think he inherited a silver spoon. Tomlin was successful because he fell into the lap of one of if not the most structured sound franchises in the NFL. Not to mention inherting a team just 1 year removed from the Superbowl and full of skill players in their prime along with Dick LeBeau as a sidekick.

I hold Dick LeBeau in much higher regard than Tomlin. Tomlin were to come here he'd be in for a culture shock. He'd just fall in line with the others who were smothered by Jerry and his overbearing dysfunctional ways.

As great a DC LeBeau was, he was as lousy an HC.

Reaction score
The problem is that Parcells is one of the only coaches in history with such gravitas. He turned around every franchise that he coached, had the jewelry, and had the intimidation factor. Bringing Sean Payton here just proves how brilliant Parcells really was. Look at Nola this year vs last year. Payton is a top 3 HC in this league.

There's no one else like Parcells available. Holmgren is a poor man's imitation. He made some terrible roster decisions in Seattle and Cleveland, which tell me that he'd work best in an organization with a good GM. Gruden was also terrible with personnel. Hell, he even admitted last night that not having the cojones to sign Drew Brees is what cost him his job in Tampa.

I'm really not too sure who to be excited about at that this point. We really need a Sean Payton clone. Someone with credibility, the ability to deal with JJ, and the ability to get the most out of Romo.

I think you've hit on something with the Parcells model.

Get a walk around head coach with gravitas who can both 1) hold his own with Jerry, and 2) find and hire that up-and-coming OC who brings cutting edge ideas to the offense.

Holmgren has gravitas. I don't know if he'd want to have other more nimble offensive minds influencing the offense. If so, he'd be exactly what the situation calls for.

There aren't that many other highly accomplished head coaching prospects who are likely available for hire. Bill Cowher, maybe? Cowher might be right if he were willing to be a walk around head coach...

And for those talking about Gruden, if I had to pick one, I'd go for Jay over Jon.

Reaction score
You are right about Parcells ... he's in the Hall of Fame for a reason.

At the same time, I do think there are a couple of potential head coaches out there who would be able to stand up to Jerry. I think Cowher could. I think Holmgren could. I can't think of anyone else at the moment, but there may be others. (I don't think Jon Gruden would command enough respect).

The second critical point is that the team needs a new offense ... hopefully a cutting edge one.

I'm not sure there is one man (currently available) who can do both of the above. But two men could. A walk around head coach with substantial credentials plus an up-and-coming OC who has the head coaches' full support. That's the combination that has the best chance of working.

I agree with you that Sean Payton would be a great fit if he were available. He'd be a one person solution.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Like UVA said, Payton was the dream coach, and Jerry actually had at least a chance to get him last year during the Bountygate suspension when he didn't have a contract extension. But supposedly Sean told him the Saints would pay him 7-8 million a year, and Jerry just laughed and told him if he could get that much, then go get it. Jerry doesn't like paying head coaches.

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
11 games into this season, we're sitting here taking about how terrible a 4-7 record is, then the news hits the wire. GARRETT FIRED!!!!!

We all know Miranelli is interim head coach, it's pretty much a given.

Who do you want for next head scapegoat/empty track suit/puppet . .er. . .coach?

4-7...Why fire the coach when you're in first place?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
4-7...Why fire the coach when you're in first place?

It's not often, but I will give credit to the Redskins. You had the good sense to get rid of Zorn just after a couple of years.

Garrett = Zorn without as talented a team.

Hell, Garrett = Campo without as talented a team.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Wait....we're 2-2 and just came off of a loss

This means we win at home seeing we're undefeated so far, right? :awkward

j/k we get blown out 62-17

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I choose Grandson Jones for next HC.

garrett_blows_lategame_clock_situation_again_as_cowboys_lose_another_heartbreaker.jpg

:lol

Reaction score
I don't know who the top young coordinators are

You guys got any names?

HC: http://www.bengals.com/team/coaches/Zimmer_Mike/e2aedec8-6392-43ab-9a87-f0bc9dd2de2b. Zimmer has coached with some of the best.

DC: Matt Eberflus. From what I understand, Rob Ryan relied on Eberflus for organization and a great deal of coaching. Now Eberflus has 3-4, 4-6, and Tampa 2 experience in teaching. In a way, he had to do the reverse of what Zimmer did in learning the 4-3 from the 3-4.

OC: Alex Van Pelt. He's a QB, coached WRs, and now RBs with a mobile QB.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If you want to get some of the nuances of Chip Kelly's offense, someone should hire Oregon's OC Scott Frost. Nebraska QB, New York Jets Safety, and Oregon's WR coach until this year.

I also think UW Defensive Coordinator Justin Wilcox is on the rise and their D Line coach, Tosh Lupoi, is a future DC.

As far as pure NFL guys, Jay Gruden will be a HC soon. 49ers OC Greg Roman is a popular name right now. Mark Carrier (Bengals DB's) will probably be a DC soon.

Reaction score
I was thinking of Roman and Carrier too. I had the same feeling about Carrier but I'm not sure he has enough experience yet. Roman does but why would he leave where he is?

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Fun fact: Mark Carrier was co rookie of the year with Cowboys great Emmit Smith.

Top Bottom