cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
No coach will have a fighting chance here unless Jerry is intimidated into, or contractually obligated, to back away. The players have to know they answer to the coach to move past this current environment.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Not going to happen, not now, not when his block headed fuck of a son takes the reins.

And I feel bad for zoners and owners that still have hope. Especially everyone's favorite plumberprenuer. They all still have to go through the steps we went through to realize how bad this shit is.

Reaction score
And I feel bad for zoners and owners that still have hope. Especially everyone's favorite plumberprenuer.

I don't feel bad for idiots, and I hope idgit finds out that his meh asian wife has gotten fucked by the entire bay area on the same day he loses hope with the Cowboys.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Mark me down for Gruden. Plus he already has a hat.

gruden-cowboy-hat.png

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't feel bad for Owners and the like. They're perfectly happy with their stealth right direction and imaginary progress. It's only fans who want to see results on the field who are sick of this crap.

Reaction score
No coach will have a fighting chance here unless Jerry is intimidated into, or contractually obligated, to back away. The players have to know they answer to the coach to move past this current environment.

I've often thought the same thing over the past several years, but I'm not convinced that Jerry's meddling is the main problem now.

Right now, I believe the players are motivated and playing hard. I also believe the players are listening to their coaches. I question the scheme, philosophy, and play calling of the offense, though. The personnel on offense is better than their production. This is more of a coaching problem than a Jerry problem, I think.

The other thing I question is Garrett's philosophy -- Football is an emotional game. Football is a game of momentum. Garrett's approach is to deny emotion and defy momentum. He and Romo pretend that the last play didn't happen and believe that each play should be exist in its own disconnected vacuum. There is no real flow to the offense. The offense doesn't attempt to impose its will on the defense. Instead, the offense seeks the path of least resistance (taking only what the defense gives them). The offense isn't bold. It has no balls. It is mechanical, reactive and plays with little emotion.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I've often thought the same thing over the past several years, but I'm not convinced that Jerry's meddling is the main problem now.

Right now, I believe the players are motivated and playing hard. I also believe the players are listening to their coaches. I question the scheme, philosophy, and play calling of the offense, though. The personnel on offense is better than their production. This is more of a coaching problem than a Jerry problem, I think.

The other thing I question is Garrett's philosophy -- Football is an emotional game. Football is a game of momentum. Garrett's approach is to deny emotion and defy momentum. He and Romo pretend that the last play didn't happen and believe that each play should be exist in its own disconnected vacuum. There is no real flow to the offense. The offense doesn't attempt to impose its will on the defense. Instead, the offense seeks the path of least resistance (taking only what the defense gives them). The offense isn't bold. It has no balls. It is mechanical, reactive and plays with little emotion.

Great write-up. Very Omega Supreme-esque.

Reaction score
That's a persuasive argument for Holmgren. Sign me up.

Holmgren would be the same problem as Garrett in a way. The modern successful coaches are not mired in one system and live dedicated to loyalty to a philosophy. The modern successful coach lives the eclectic strategy and is difficult to predict tendencies. I would even say that an older coach like Holmgren has a serious weakness in statistical availability; there are many years of film that demonstrates how he generally operates. But this is still not an issue of young vs old either. Belichick varies his offense and his defense year after year, and takes chances with personnel and loads his team with weapons when he has that opportunity. But Pete Carroll, Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, etc, are very tough to figure out week to week. They play the game very much in response to the moment rather than trying to adapt the game to their staunch philosophy.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I sure would hate to see Garrett run off and Jerry and Stephen censored by a new strong willed coach because I've really enjoyed the post loss press conferences where this trio praises the opponent while never saying an unkind word about the Cowboy players.

I'd sure hate to see someone come in and start to make players uncomfortable or offend them by pointing out their failures publicly....that can really be hard on a guy and I'd hate to see any of our players get their feelings hurt or suffer from undue pressure to win and perform.

Life's tough enough, I'd hate to see them have any added stress or accountability

Reaction score
Holmgren would be the same problem as Garrett in a way. The modern successful coaches are not mired in one system and live dedicated to loyalty to a philosophy. The modern successful coach lives the eclectic strategy and is difficult to predict tendencies. I would even say that an older coach like Holmgren has a serious weakness in statistical availability; there are many years of film that demonstrates how he generally operates. But this is still not an issue of young vs old either. Belichick varies his offense and his defense year after year, and takes chances with personnel and loads his team with weapons when he has that opportunity. But Pete Carroll, Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, etc, are very tough to figure out week to week. They play the game very much in response to the moment rather than trying to adapt the game to their staunch philosophy.

Yeah, well sure, if Belichick is available, I'd be in favor of him. Harbaugh too.

But they aren't available.

A prerequisite for the head coach position in Dallas is gravitas ... enough gravitas to hold one's own in those "shared decisions" with Jerry. Belichick and Harbaugh could do this (but aren't available). The promising young coordinators couldn't.

So I'll go with Holmgren. He could hold his own with Jerry. Holmgren might not be the best pure offensive mind for the job, but he could neutralize the Jerry-factor .... which is the first priority.

That's basically what TE is saying too.

I want Holmgren. I don't think you can hire some young guy without a track record or it'll look like he's another Jones stooge even if he's not. Take a guy like Shaw -- he might be a great young coach but I don't know if that dynamic works here. Jerry's been around so long and looms so large over this whole operation that you need someone with huge NFL cred. Another Parcells and not another Garrett, if you will.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I want Holmgren. I don't think you can hire some young guy without a track record or it'll look like he's another Jones stooge even if he's not. Take a guy like Shaw -- he might be a great young coach but I don't know if that dynamic works here. Jerry's been around so long and looms so large over this whole operation that you need someone with huge NFL cred. Another Parcells and not another Garrett, if you will.

Plus Holmgren

- is a tough guy
- is an offensive guru so the majority of the D staff can stay (I think this happens no matter who the new coach is)
- is a strong enough personality that he won't be pushed around by the local media
- is friends with JJ so he could probably manage JJ's media appearances, drunken appearances around town, etc.
- has a totally different offensive system, which we need. Rip this thing up by the roots, don't half-ass it.

Gruden is a lesser version of that but he's younger so I wouldn't mind him, either. Still think Holmgren would be better if his health and energy allow, which as far as I know they do.

Holmgren is also old and he doesn't have a longer shelf life than Parcells had when he took over.

What scares me the most about Holmgren is what he did in Seattle and Cleveland. He handpicked Mora and picked dorks like Shurmur to be HC when he was GM.

I just don't see the upside.

Frankly, I am at a loss right now. I just don't know who could function here.

I do know that Garrett is too mentally weak to be "the guy" to survive under a hillbilly regime.

I am starting to wonder if that guy honestly exists.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I want no part of Holmgren. He's coming off two failures so I get the feeling he'd be way too appreciative and loyal to Jerry.

Top Bottom