Reaction score
Time to find a new team for the rest of this season.

Going to toss names into a hat and pick one. Need something to do to keep me entertained for the rest of the season.
I'm going with Seattle. Love the city, and it's one of the cities with the longest drought between pro sports titles. Plus they play great defense and run the ball.

Reaction score
ZC had an excellent post there, but the point remains, still... The players know that they can pull the wool over Jerry's eyes and fool him into thinking they are all that because he really doesn't know WTF he is looking at in the first place, yet they will answer to him and not whoever is in the HC slot. It's a setup for disaster all the way around.

I appreciate it ...

Respectfully -- My question to you is, in your opinion, which players specifically feel that they don't need to pay attention to and/or lack respect for Garrett and the coaches?

Does Dunbar think that? Claiborne? Lee? Arkin? Witten? Wilcox? Will Allen? Murray? Romo? Austin? Carr? Harris? Frederick? Who, specifically?

I think it was the case that the team had several players who were obviously more concerned about their personal notoriety and agendas (T.O., Pacman) and/or were generally apathetic (Tank Johnson, Marcellus Wiley, maybe Leonard Davis or Jenkins)? Maybe Nate Livings thought that way, I don't know.... Maybe Ratliff. Hard to say. I think Jerry was at his worst in this regard during the Campo years, but that it was also a pretty big problem during Wade's time.

But now it honestly seems to me that the current players have a good attitude and are obviously putting forth real effort. The defense is swarming. I think Garrett's emphasis on RKG has had a positive effect in terms of the character and effort of the team. Obviously Garrett has made plenty of other mistakes and missteps - I'm not at all endorsing his overall job performance - but I do think he has helped build a roster of motivated players.

Reaction score
RKG is another term for white guy who's just happy to be there.

Unlike Jimmy and Parcells, we know Gingerfuck is incapable of even coaching non-RKGs. Guys like TO and Haley were handled perfectly here and they produced.

It's definitely not some positive that this red-headed clown has stuck with those types of players. All that it means is you're limiting your talent pool based off the HC's capabilities and comfort level.

Reaction score
My question to you is, in your opinion, which players specifically feel that they don't need to pay attention to and/or lack respect for Garrett and the coaches?
It's not as simple as saying they don't pay attention to Garrett. I think they do lack respect for him, but it's nothing anyone is going to say.

But I would guess 90% of the starters know that if they make a mistake, there might be some minor repercussions, but they're not going to lose their job. This team pays lip service to discipline, but the discipline has no teeth, and it starts from the top.

Look at Ratliff. He out and out disrespected the GM -- the guy who calls the shots -- in the locker room to his face. He got arrested for DWI after the Josh Brent incident. He knows that he's the most talented DT that we have, and no matter what he does the team will do whatever it can to keep him around. Short of a catastrophic injury that puts him out for months, he's going to get paid.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
RKG is another term for white guy who's just happy to be there.

Unlike Jimmy and Parcells, we know Gingerfuck is incapable of even coaching non-RKGs. Guys like TO and Haley were handled perfectly here and they produced.

It's definitely not some positive that this red-headed clown has stuck with those types of players. All that it means is you're limiting your talent pool based off the HC's capabilities and comfort level.

T.O. at that time was our best offensive weapon.

Dez is now our best offensive weapon.

And yet like T.O., we cannot seem to consistently get Dez the ball.

And Garrett has been the constant in both situations.

Reaction score
It's not as simple as saying they don't pay attention to Garrett. I think they do lack respect for him, but it's nothing anyone is going to say.

But I would guess 90% of the starters know that if they make a mistake, there might be some minor repercussions, but they're not going to lose their job. This team pays lip service to discipline, but the discipline has no teeth, and it starts from the top.

Look at Ratliff. He out and out disrespected the GM -- the guy who calls the shots -- in the locker room to his face. He got arrested for DWI after the Josh Brent incident. He knows that he's the most talented DT that we have, and no matter what he does the team will do whatever it can to keep him around. Short of a catastrophic injury that puts him out for months, he's going to get paid.

You mentioned Ratliff and I'll concede him, but who else?

Who are all of these guys who need to be disciplined?

Bernadeau isn't starting. Carter's starting job is in peril, as is Claiborne's. Free knows what it is like to be on a short leash. Hannah and Escobar know that they are in competition. Is there really any evidence that Hayden is too cocky? (pun intended) Wilcox? And so on.

Every team (with the possible exception of the Jaguars) have a subset of guys who have relatively more job security, but that isn't necessarily bad. Look at the best teams in the league today and you'll see that each has star players who are very unlikely to lose their jobs. Heck, look no further than the Broncos ....

Is there any evidence that the current Cowboys starters who do have greater job security are not putting forth good effort? Lee and Ware aren't shirking, are they?

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
I get what you are saying Zero, and none of us are around the team, so all we have is our best guess. For me, I equate coaching and teaching. Some teachers you love and you put forth maximum effort for them, some bore you to sleep, and others are flat out incompetent. I have trouble picturing the red ball of haze as a guy the team will run through walls for, but again it is all just our perceptions. Reality may be far different.

If we have great players and a great coach, what is the issue?

The Chiefs have turned it around using the same exact guys they went 2-14 with. The difference according to all of them is the coach.

Reaction score
You mentioned Ratliff and I'll concede him, but who else?

Who are all of these guys who need to be disciplined?

Bernadeau isn't starting. Carter's starting job is in peril, as is Claiborne's. Free knows what it is like to be on a short leash. Hannah and Escobar know that they are in competition. Is there really any evidence that Hayden is too cocky? (pun intended) Wilcox? And so on.

Every team (with the possible exception of the Jaguars) have a subset of guys who have relatively more job security, but that isn't necessarily bad. Look at the best teams in the league today and you'll see that each has star players who are very unlikely to lose their jobs. Heck, look no further than the Broncos ....

Is there any evidence that the current Cowboys starters who do have greater job security are not putting forth good effort? Lee and Ware aren't shirking, are they?

I'm talking in a more general sense of losing their job completely, not the starting job.

Still, I don't think Bruce Carter is in danger of permanently losing his job. He got benched for poor play last week, but he'll probably be starting this week. Claiborne isn't going anywhere. Ware jumps offsides on a 3rd and less than 5 every other week, but he's not going to be taken off the field in such situations. Witten has been better this year on false starts, but when he was jumping all the time, no repercussions. Free has been performing better, and earned his job back. But when he was playing shitty the past two seasons, we didn't have a real threat to take his job.

When Felix Jones was doing nothing as a kick returner and fumbling the ball, he was eventually taken out of that role. But early on in that issue, Jerry was asked about Felix's status as the returner. Jerry publicly gives him a vote of confidence, and guess what, Felix was back out there returning kicks. I don't think Garrett has the ability to pull guys from their roles without Jerry's input.

Some of this stems from the fact that we have no real depth on this team. And sure, you're not going to pull a hall of famer completely because he jumps offside once. But if our coach felt like, hey I'm going to bench Claiborne completely for this game because of how he played last week. You think Jerry's not going to have something to say about that? Of course he is.

That's my issue. I don't think Garrett should necessarily bench some of these guys, or that they should be cut. But if he decided to do that, he wouldn't have the autonomy to do it himself.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm going with Seattle. Love the city, and it's one of the cities with the longest drought between pro sports titles. Plus they play great defense and run the ball.

Same here. I love Seattle.

I like the way Detroit is constructing their team. In 5 years they used three 1st round draft picks on DL: Suh, Fairly, and Ansah --- who is on his way to becoming DROY.

And it's paying dividends. You have an excellent DL like that, and you don't need to waste an overall #6 pick on a CB. You don't need to fucking give up two draft picks to do it.

But not Jerry.

Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind -- Garrett has gotta know that if HE doesn't produce this year, HE's likely out.

Top Bottom